• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is Hinduism really considered idolatry in the Abrahamic eyes?

Me Myself

Back to my username
Going back to the question at hand:

I believe that the worship of any god that is not "GOD" is idolatry in their eyes.

Villager

This has no bearing in the usage of icons and images in worship in India or Hinduism.
I wrote as much in post #28:

'The deity of Abraham justified Abraham, i.e. counted him righteous, because Abraham believed him, even when he was promised what was an impossibility in normal circumstances. So the Abrahamic deity requires faith, and not effort to become righteous. Hinduism requires effort, and is not acceptable to the deity of Abraham, so yes, Hindu deities must be considered idols in Abrahamic eyes. However, Hindu gods are not classifiable in the sense used by Moses and others who led Israel, because those local idols encouraged immorality- war-mongering, sexual licence, human sacrifice- whereas Hindu deities encourage morality (afaik).'

Always a good idea to read threads. :)

ngupta

title used by customer
So the Abrahamic deity requires faith, and not effort to become righteous. Hinduism requires effort, and is not acceptable to the deity of Abraham, so yes, Hindu deities must be considered idols in Abrahamic eyes.

Still no reply...

conversely(to what you say)

Shri Krishna says in the Gita;

Even if one committing the most abominable actions worships only Me exclusively without deviation, he is to be considered saintly as he is correctly resolved and properly situated
chap30 verse09

Further reading

http://gita-blog.blogspot.com/2011/05/best-purifier-of-all-sins-devotion-to.html

Last edited:

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friend WC,
Welcome to RF!
Best Wishes.
Could you share your own views on the subject??

Love & rgds

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friends,

Personal understanding of idols are like this:
Consciousness is THAT which is everything, every virtue eternal and limitless so it is difficult to comprehend by the human mind.
So what meditators have done is divide THAT first into three ways and so have conceptualised a god for creation one for preservation and one for destruction. This is the trinity.
Then for each quality , virtue there is a conceptual form which are all gods.
When someone prays the person is simply praying to the consciousness within but being human a form helps and so various forms labelled gods have been created for easier and broad basing the understanding of consciousness.
It is the limits of the understanding or perception of the individual which makes observation of such forms as idols or mere stones then kindly understand that even a stone is consciousness which is part of THAT which is universal consciousness.

Love & rgds

spyrichuwel

All the major Hindu Gods are really just perfect symbolic theological representation of the One God.

For example Lord Ganesha is the Lord of Beginnings, Entrances, Remover of Obstacles etc

I can use Islam for example for support to corroborate this

Theologically one of the attributes of God for which He is invoked is Al-Fattah or The Opener

Only if obstacles are removed which obstruct proceeding in an undertaking or path can you begin or progress in it.

If you analyse the form of Lord Ganesha you will notice that His mount is a mouse. Mice are the perfect examples to illustrate burrowing. They love to burrow into holes in other words openings.

This is just ONE example of ONE aspect of a Hindu God on how the Hindu Gods perfectly represent Monotheism, a single Supreme Being

So personally I don't care two hoots on what other religions have to say about Hinduism.

- first of all are people of your religion themselves morally infallible and perfectly spiritual?
- its extremely insulting to accuse Hinduism of "idolatry" especially in a derogatory tone
- how are you disseminators of "true religion" ?

Hinduism does not need to seek affirmation or acceptance from any other religion 1) it can stand on its own 2) it supposes these other religions are truer or superior to actually even be able to determine Hinduism