• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is Hell Really Fair?

Skwim

Veteran Member

Aside from the claim that god knows what's best for us so we shouldn't question his decisions,

DO YOU THINK THAT SPENDING AN ETERNITY SUFFERING IN HELL FOR A MISTAKE MADE ON EARTH IS FAIR?

your life span in hell.png

God does:

Matthew 25:46
"And these will go away into eternal punishment"
I don't

And your opinion?

Last edited:

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
I'll let C. S. Lewis, a Christian who wrote things I can agree with, reply:

There are only two kinds of people in the end: those who say to God, "Thy will be done," and those to whom God says, in the end, "Thy will be done." All that are in Hell, choose it. Without that self-choice there could be no Hell. No soul that seriously and constantly desires joy will ever miss it. Those who seek find. Those who knock it is opened.”

(and)

“Hell is a state of mind - ye never said a truer word. And every state of mind, left to itself, every shutting up of the creature within the dungeon of its own mind - is, in the end, Hell.

― C.S. Lewis, The Great Divorce

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I think retributive justice over restorative justice is already unfair. So an arbitrary and authoritarian version where words like 'eternity' get thrown around is so off base that it's no surprise 'classic'* concepts of hell is falling out of favor.

*Hell as we know it is a medieval concept, not what early Christians and Jews believed.

Darkforbid

I think retributive justice over restorative justice is already unfair. So an arbitrary and authoritarian version where words like 'eternity' get thrown around is so off base that it's no surprise 'classic'* concepts of hell is falling out of favor.

*Hell as we know it is a medieval concept, not what early Christians and Jews believed.

Yes, it means the grave.

Matthew 25;46

I think it is fair, but I don’t think anyone feels, suffers, or does anything in the hell, because:

And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell (Gehenna).
Matt. 10:28

It is fair, because eternal life is for righteous and all have opportunity to choose righteousness or unrighteousness. And I think unrighteous people really want to be separated from God and so also from all good.

susanblange

Aside from the claim that god knows what's best for us so we shouldn't question his decisions,

DO YOU THINK THAT SPENDING AN ETERNITY SUFFERING IN HELL FOR A MISTAKE MADE ON EARTH IS FAIR?

View attachment 33214

God does:

Matthew 25;46
I don't

And your opinion?

Hell is not forever, the punishment will fit the crimes/sins. There is also no fire in Hell, the fire is going to be on earth. It is not physical torture, it is mental terror. All sin is conceived of in the mind before being acted upon. Eventually your spirit will be extinguished and you will cease to exist. Hell is a Black Hole. It is darkness, freezing cold, hyper-gravity and a bottomless pit. Astronomers have recently found and photographed Hell.

Skwim

Veteran Member

There are only two kinds of people in the end: those who say to God, "Thy will be done," and those to whom God says, in the end, "Thy will be done." All that are in Hell, choose it. Without that self-choice there could be no Hell. No soul that seriously and constantly desires joy will ever miss it. Those who seek find. Those who knock it is opened.”
Hmmm. . . .seems there's more to it than just that. The following is a list of violations that will get one thrown into hell. If you want a fuller explanation and/or Biblical verse click on the "source" at the bottom.

"40 sins the WILL send you to hell

1 Idolatry
2 Blasphemy
3 Taking the name of god in vain
4 Profanity
5 being a false preacher
6 Witchcraft
7 Child sacrifice to idols, false gods
8 Rebellion against parents
9 Disobedience to authority
10 Murder
11 Negligent homicide
12 Homosexual relations
13 Effeminacy
14 Bestiality
15 Adultery
16 Fornication
17 Sexual Uncleanness (sic)
18 Deceit, lying
19 False pretense in marriage
20 Lasciviousness
21 Covetousness
22 Thefts
23 Perverting justice
24 Hatred
25 Variance
26 Emulations
27 Wrath
28 Strife
29 Sedition
30 Heresies
31 Simony
32 Envyings (sic)
33 Drunkenness
34 Revelings
35 Pride
36 Foolishness
37 Extortion
38 Refusing to forgive
39 Evil thoughts
40 The ultimate sin of damnation-Rejecting the Lord Jesus Christ.
source

syo

I don't believe in the christian afterlife idea.

But to answer the question, the victims want eternal torment of their evildoer. that is why hell exists in a human religion that expects everything from God. The victims want for God to punish the evildoers, as this is what they learn.

shmogie

View attachment 33214

God does:

Matthew 25;46
I don't

And your opinion?

No itś terribly unfair. The punishment lasts for eternity, the punishment ? oblivion. No coming back from that.

calm

View attachment 33214

God does:

Matthew 25;46
I don't

And your opinion?

Yes, hell is fair.
Everything God does is fair.

shmogie

Hmmm. . . .seems there's more to it than just that. The following is a list of violations that will get one thrown into hell. If you want a fuller explanation and/or Biblical verse click on the "source" at the bottom.

"40 sins the WILL send you to hell

1 Idolatry
2 Blasphemy
3 Taking the name of god in vain
4 Profanity
5 being a false preacher
6 Witchcraft
7 Child sacrifice to idols, false gods
8 Rebellion against parents
9 Disobedience to authority
10 Murder
11 Negligent homicide
12 Homosexual relations
13 Effeminacy
14 Bestiality
15 Adultery
16 Fornication
17 Sexual Uncleanness (sic)
18 Deceit, lying
19 False pretense in marriage
20 Lasciviousness
21 Covetousness
22 Thefts
23 Perverting justice
24 Hatred
25 Variance
26 Emulations
27 Wrath
28 Strife
29 Sedition
30 Heresies
31 Simony
32 Envyings (sic)
33 Drunkenness
34 Revelings
35 Pride
36 Foolishness
37 Extortion
38 Refusing to forgive
39 Evil thoughts
40 The ultimate sin of damnation-Rejecting the Lord Jesus Christ.
source

Not quite true. If you have done any, or all of these things the accountability for them will be removed by confession and repentance. This is not a license to continue, but rather is a chance to start anew and defeating these things in your life.

It is all about attitude. The attitude of do whatever you want, and cherish your sin nets you a one way ticket to hell, sheol, the ultimate and forever grave, oblivion.

The attitude of humbly acknowledging God, seeking His forgiveness, and working in harmony with him to overcome sin, nets you eternal life.

Hockeycowboy

Witness for Jehovah
Premium Member
So the Bible is wrong. Okay, I can go along with that.

No, only certain translations of it. In fact, they all have mistranslated words, usually done to support the translators’ beliefs.
You can see the changes, through examining the newer manuscript copies from the older ones.
But the older ones, being closer to the O.M.s (Original Manuscripts), reflect much different views than what is popular today.

Hell is simply the grave of sinful mankind. No consciousness there. (The term Hellfire you’ll find, if you’re willing to check for yourself, is a mistranslation.)

calm

"Hell as we know it is a medieval concept, not what early Christians and Jews believed"
Are you sure? Did you read Luke 16:19-31 ?

And what about these biblical passages? :
Revelation 14:9-11
“If anyone worships the beast and its image and receives a mark on his forehead or on his hand,
10 he also will drink the wine of God’s wrath, poured full strength into the cup of his anger, and he will be tormented with fire and sulfur in the presence of the holy angels and in the presence of the Lamb.
11 And the smoke of their torment goes up forever and ever, and they have no rest, day or night, these worshipers of the beast and its image, and whoever receives the mark of its name.”

Revelation 20:10
And the devil who had deceived them was thrown into the lake of fire and sulfur where the beast and the false prophet were, and they will be tormented day and night forever and ever.

Mark 9:45-46
And if thy foot offend thee, cut it off: it is better for thee to enter halt into life, than having two feet to be cast into hell, into the fire that never shall be quenched: 46 Where their worm(soul) dieth not, and the fire is not quenched.

Matthew 8:12
But the children of the kingdom shall be cast out into outer darkness: there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth.

Did you ever read the bible?

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member

(and)

“Hell is a state of mind - ye never said a truer word. And every state of mind, left to itself, every shutting up of the creature within the dungeon of its own mind - is, in the end, Hell.

― C.S. Lewis, The Great Divorce
Hard to reconcile your religion, "love," with those quotes you agree with.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
It is fair, because eternal life is for righteous and all have opportunity to choose righteousness or unrighteousness. And I think unrighteous people really want to be separated from God and so also from all good.
But of course you are aware that most Christians don't believe that at all. In fact, most Christians (ask the Catholics) agree that you can be quite unrighteous, and commit quite a lot of sins, so long as you believe in Jesus and ask forgiveness. Those same Christians would also tell you that you can live a perfectly righteous life, committing practically no sins at all, yet not deserve eternal life for simply failing to believe in Jesus.