• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is Halloween evil?

Bear Wild

Now you are changing the goal posts. You are not sticking with December 25, but are changing it to that general time.

Come on, Christians can have holy days in the near vicinity and it not be related to paganism. Pagans don't own the calendar. It's like saying that Pagans have harvest festivals, so everyone that has a harvest festival must be a pagan, or indeed everyone that has a festival in the Fall must be a Pagan. It's just ridiculously illogical.

You are correct Christian's can have holy days whenever they want to and clearly put them where the wanted. It is just interesting that Feb 02, 2019 Candlemas is the same day as Imbolc, St. Patricks day and St Josephs day are at the spring equinox. Lammas is August 1 the same date as Lughnasadh in which the Christian celebration is again so clearly close in meaning, All Saint's day and November 1 Samhain and Christmas on December 25 so close to the winter solstice. All the written justification by Christian writers does not remove the obvious overlap of the pagan celebration dates. There was clear intent to make conversion easier and to remove pagan associations replaced by Christian words. Ireland being the last Celtic society to be converted shows the most obvious actions.
1. Circling a spiritual site to the right three times to counter circling to the left three times associated with druids.
2. Use of holy wells renamed for Christian saints when traditionally associated with pagan deities.
3. Re-associating spiritual trees to have Christians associated.
4. Conversation of a goddess to a Christian saint
5. Continued belief in the otherworld - changed to fairy world with mounds but still treated with respect of fear despite demonization from the Christian church.
And there is much more some of which has been pointed out. There was a clear campaign by the Christian church to assimilate and rename in honor of Christianity of so many practices festivals and rites. Samhain is just one good example.

As for December 25 and winter solstice falling on the 21 a mere 4 days difference still places the celebration just after the well known and important solar event. It has already been pointed out that there were celebrations around this time in addition to the solar even. They did not know the birthday of jesus and picked a date. What better date than one that would already be celebrated by the pagans they wanted to convert and with the symbolism of a new coming - the sun originally then the son with Christianity. .

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
It is up to you to support your assertions. Period. I suggest you try researching for a change. Hint: try Sol Invictus.

Verify your claim.
The person who figured that Jesus was born on December 25 was Hippolytus of Rome, who lived during 170-235 CE. That's decades before Sol Invictus was enacted by Roman Emperor Aurelian during his reign in 270-275 CE.

IndigoChild5559

Here are Sun God symbols in the Catholic church
Since when has a halo been the sun? This video is just basically a lie.

You know, I'm not even Catholic. I'm not even a Christian. I'm a Jew for heaven's sake. The only dog I have in this race is that I just really hate it when people engage in hate propaganda about this religion or that religion. We Jews get hatred up the kazoo, so I hate it when it happens to others too. Shame on the people who made this video.

IndigoChild5559

This does not erase not disprove the archaeological and historical evidence previously cited. Try again.
It absolutely does show that Christian light/dark imagery has to do with light illuminating and dark obscuring.

How about YOUR evidence? Start quoting some scriptures about worshiping the sun.

IndigoChild5559

Funny, when I cited this website, you called it spurious. Now you're using it? So, which is it - spurious or reliable?

Secondly, the article explores one of the various theories of the early church as the purpose is to examine Dec. 25, which does not predate others. Nor does it change what I said previously.

And note, it contradicts your insistence there was no pagan festival in December 25. Note:

"The Romans had their mid-winter Saturnalia festival in late December; barbarian peoples of northern and western Europe kept holidays at similar times. To top it off, in 274 C.E., the Roman emperor Aurelian established a feast of the birth of Sol Invictus (the Unconquered Sun), on December 25."
Hippolytus determined December 25 was the birthday of Jesus DECADES before Sol Invictus became a holiday.

IndigoChild5559

You are correct Christian's can have holy days whenever they want to and clearly put them where the wanted. It is just interesting that Feb 02, 2019 Candlemas is the same day as Imbolc, St. Patricks day and St Josephs day are at the spring equinox. Lammas is August 1 the same date as Lughnasadh in which the Christian celebration is again so clearly close in meaning, All Saint's day and November 1 Samhain and Christmas on December 25 so close to the winter solstice. All the written justification by Christian writers does not remove the obvious overlap of the pagan celebration dates. There was clear intent to make conversion easier and to remove pagan associations replaced by Christian words. Ireland being the last Celtic society to be converted shows the most obvious actions.
1. Circling a spiritual site to the right three times to counter circling to the left three times associated with druids.
2. Use of holy wells renamed for Christian saints when traditionally associated with pagan deities.
3. Re-associating spiritual trees to have Christians associated.
4. Conversation of a goddess to a Christian saint
5. Continued belief in the otherworld - changed to fairy world with mounds but still treated with respect of fear despite demonization from the Christian church.
And there is much more some of which has been pointed out. There was a clear campaign by the Christian church to assimilate and rename in honor of Christianity of so many practices festivals and rites. Samhain is just one good example.

As for December 25 and winter solstice falling on the 21 a mere 4 days difference still places the celebration just after the well known and important solar event. It has already been pointed out that there were celebrations around this time in addition to the solar even. They did not know the birthday of jesus and picked a date. What better date than one that would already be celebrated by the pagans they wanted to convert and with the symbolism of a new coming - the sun originally then the son with Christianity. .
You say "it is interesting." I don't even find it interesting. It is not even coincidental that these holidays are near one another. There are only so many days in the year, and scads of Catholic saints.

As to the idea that the Feast of the Nativity was deliberately planned to coincide with pagan festivals, the problem with this theory is that there is simply nothing about it in the writings of the times. In fact, there is nothing about this idea until the 12th century, which thoroughly discredits it.

Here is how December 25 came to be the date figured for the birthday of Jesus:

Around 200 CE Tertullian of Carthage calculated that the Passover (Nissan 14) on which Jesus died correlated to March 25 on the Roman Calendar. The common understanding was that there was symmetry between Jesus' conception and death, that his conception was the same day as his death. Therefore, if he had been conceived on March 25, he would have been born nine months later, December 25. This was the argument Hippolytus and others used.

And the argument was used decades before the pagan holiday of Sol Invictus was even invented.

You can verify these facts at the following website:
How December 25 Became Christmas