• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is God made in your own image? Do you always agree with them?

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
I read here that religious peoples God is always like them, is this true for you? Have you been upset at them before? Please explain :)

No. Even when I was Catholic I didn’t follow the “it’s God’s will” thinking when something happened, especially if it’s bad. I wasn’t one to see God as angry, moody, or punishing. That’s especially so as a Hindu. The idea of God being like us, except sharing in our pain, sorrows or joys, is completely alien and distasteful. In our stories even when a being (human or non-human) has cursed and rejected God, God does not punish them. The stories invariably end with God giving them moksha (liberation, redemption). God says ...

upload_2021-12-5_12-25-42.jpeg

Clara Tea

I read here that religious peoples God is always like them, is this true for you? Have you been upset at them before? Please explain :)

There are many races (Black, White, Asian, Middle Eastern). So, God would have to be all races, or one race, or perhaps race is not the same as image.

"Fat kids, skinny kids, kids that climb on rocks..."

There are "Fat kids, skinny kids, kids that climb on rocks, tough kids, sissy kids, even kids with chicken pox" (who love Armour hotdogs).

There are tall, short, medium, and people who are nice and mean.

Are the mean ones like God?

Even Jesus changed appearances, originally, he was likely an average Semitic (Jews, then, looked like Arabs, but changed their appearance over the past 2,000 years by mating with native populations where they fled). Then, when Jesus rose from the grave, he was blond, with tanned feet and red eyes.

You'd think that Jesus would have looked a bit like dad. Was dad (God) Jewish too?

I am not upset that others speculate what God looked like.

Clara Tea

No. Even when I was Catholic I didn’t follow the “it’s God’s will” thinking when something happened, especially if it’s bad. I wasn’t one to see God as angry, moody, or punishing. That’s especially so as a Hindu. The idea of God being like us, except sharing in our pain, sorrows or joys, is completely alien and distasteful. In our stories even when a being (human or non-human) has cursed and rejected God, God does not punish them. The stories invariably end with God giving them moksha (liberation, redemption). God says ...

View attachment 58105

You have a warm and kind religion.

Clara Tea

We humans don't know what God is, if God is, or how God might exist if God does exist. So we tend to imagine (conceptualize) this mystery in ways that are most familiar and easy to access for us. Also, in ways that help us to feel as if we could gain some control over this mysterious, all-powerful, fateful 'God'. (It's what we humans do.) So of course most of us tend to imagine God as as being similar to a human. A being that could possibly be endeared to, and assuaged, and placated, and supplicated, and so on.

That we do this does not mean that God does not exist. Or even that God is not as we imagine (though that's unlikely). It's just how we humans roll when we're confronted with the ultimate mystery.
The idea that man is made in God's image is from the bible (supposedly from God).

Clara Tea

By recognizing that my caprice and the holy sword of God with me are at odds, and I should not make God to what I want nor his will nor his judgement to what I wish from my dark desires, and to submit myself instead to the light of God with me, no matter how dark my deeds.

It's the decision to be ashamed no matter how painful then do away with the light of God.

Never make an excuse nor reject God's judgment and truth, nor make up morals but gain insight to them, and never believe in an interpretation to Quran unless I taste it's truth through and through and have verification of reasoning in ahadith to it.

Your writing is powerful, eloquent, and thought provoking. God is in charge, and we assume that God is moral. Yet, there are many instances in which God has killed.

PureX

Veteran Member
The idea that man is made in God's image is from the bible (supposedly from God).
The Bible is a collection of some ancient men's conceptualizations of 'God'. There are many religions and cultures with many other conceptualizations of 'God'. But ultimately, none of us know if, or what, 'God' is apart from being the source and solution of the mystery of existence, itself.

This existential mystery is difficult for most of us to relate to, so we create images and personalities and so on that we can use to help us grasp and deal with the profundity of this great mystery. The mystery of why we are here, and why we suffer, and why we die, and what it's all for.

mangalavara

सो ऽहम्
Premium Member
I read here that religious peoples God is always like them, is this true for you?

Today, I watched the livestream of my local mandir (temple). As I viewed the mūrti or 'idol' of Hanumān and listened to the Pandit and kirtan performers sing Hanumān Cālīsā, I felt nothing but bliss and almost got tears. Looking at the mūrtis of the rest of the deities at the end of the service, I felt the serenity and some of the bliss in them. So, in my experience, I would say God is not like me. Whereas I am full of miserly ego and sometimes upset over trivial crap such as the weather, Bhagavatī/Bhagavān is utter serenity and bliss.

Have you been upset at them before?

I can only be upset with myself and other human beings.

mangalavara

सो ऽहम्
Premium Member
In our stories even when a being (human or non-human) has cursed and rejected God, God does not punish them. The stories invariably end with God giving them moksha (liberation, redemption).

I have broken two vows to Mahādevī. Despite feeling unworthy of her, I feel her love, care, and protection when I look to her anyway. :sob:

View attachment 58105

What is your favorite story about that?

74x12

Yeah, that sounds like a typical atheist talking point. Although there are some people whose religion and ideas of God are like this. Namely they make God like them because they think they are so great. I have to admit this is a thing.

But for many of us; God is nothing like us. It's very difficult actually to be a good person by my beliefs. I know I'm not good.

Suave

Simulated character
If we are living in an ancestral type simulation, we'd be the simulated ancestors of God who is the controller of simulations.

ecco

Veteran Member
And according to Christian and Jewish scripture, it is Man that was made in the image of God, not the other way round.

However, as seen in cultures around the world since the dawn of recorded history, gods are created in man's image.