• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is God Amoral?

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Is God amoral? Is God beyond morality? Or, does God embrace every morality? Or, only some moralities?

If you believe God is moral, then how is it that God's creation, nature, is amoral?

If you believe God does not embrace all moralities, then how is it that people, God's creations, embrace a huge diversity of moralities?

If you believe that God does not embrace all moralities, how do you reconcile that with a belief that God is infinite? Wouldn't saying that God is limited to only certain moralities imply that God was in some sense finite?

Is it necessary for God to be moral for you to be moral? Would you hold to your morality even if you discovered that God was amoral or held a different morality than yours?

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
It might prove interesting if you answered some of your own questions for a change Phil.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
YmirGF said:
It might prove interesting if you answered some of your own questions for a change Phil.

Perhaps, but I already know what I think about these things, so consequently I'm bored with my own answers. Besides which, I don't want to risk skewing what anyone else might say. I'm more curious about other's views than I am about my own.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Sunstone said:
Is God amoral?
Yes!
Sunstone said:
Is God beyond morality?
Yes!
Sunstone said:
Or, does God embrace every morality?
Yes!
Sunstone said:
Or, only some moralities?
Um, no.

Sunstone said:
If you believe God is moral, then how is it that God's creation, nature, is amoral?
Not for me to answer apparently!

Sunstone said:
If you believe God does not embrace all moralities, then how is it that people, God's creations, embrace a huge diversity of moralities?
Not for me to answer.

Sunstone said:
If you believe that God does not embrace all moralities, how do you reconcile that with a belief that God is infinite? Wouldn't saying that God is limited to only certain moralities imply that God was in some sense finite?
Not for me to answer!

Sunstone said:
Is it necessary for God to be moral for you to be moral? Would you hold to your morality even if you discovered that God was amoral or held a different morality than yours?
I believe that "god" lives vicariously through me/us therefore the question is a bit odd in that context.

Kay

Towards the Sun
Amorality makes the most sense to me.
  • Amor·al : being neither moral nor immoral; specifically : lying outside the sphere to which moral judgments apply.

Cynic

Sunstone said:
Is God amoral? Is God beyond morality?
If God is nature, or something objective (i.e. what created the big bang), then yes.

Sunstone said:
Or, does God embrace every morality? Or, only some moralities?
I think that if there was a God, and assuming that it is infinite, morality would not apply. That would be applying anthropomorphic characteristics (something finite), to something infinite.

Sunstone said:
Wouldn't saying that God is limited to only certain moralities imply that God was in some sense finite?
Yes

Sunstone said:
Is it necessary for God to be moral for you to be moral?
No. Morality is a subjective thing, and is applied to us because of certain circumstances. Assuming that God is infinite and not human, why do human things have to apply?
Sunstone said:
Would you hold to your morality even if you discovered that God was amoral or held a different morality than yours?
Yes

Halcyon

Lord of the Badgers
I believe God is all things, therefore i believe that in Its entirety God embraces all moral standpoints.
But in Its form as a single human It embraces only some moral standpoints.
And in its form as a rock It embraces no moral standpoints.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
YmirGF said:
Yes!
Yes!
Yes!
Um, no.

Not for me to answer apparently!

Not for me to answer.

Not for me to answer!

I believe that "god" lives vicariously through me/us therefore the question is a bit odd in that context.

Paul, it's uncanny how you always seem to mirror my thoughts!:sheep:

And, I agree, we want to hear Phil's thoughts on these deep meaningful questions he is always asking everyone else!!! Out with it Sunstone!!!:p

Ozzie

Sunstone said:
Is God amoral? Is God beyond morality? Or, does God embrace every morality? Or, only some moralities?

I prefer to think of God as amoral, being beyond morality, having characteristics we might identify as pragmatic. Such a god would demonstrate evenhandedness in dealing with the variety of modes of life producing the diversity of human moralities we see. An amoral God would not use morality to judge us, being aware that this is how humans judge eachother in competition.

Random

I think morality provides a context for how we emulate God, not a framework for His emulation of US. He is a moral being or entity for this reason.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Michel said:
And, I agree, we want to hear Phil's thoughts on these deep meaningful questions he is always asking everyone else!!! Out with it Sunstone!!!:p

I think that if there is a deity, then that deity is everything and everything is that deity. So we are all God. And if we and everything else are God, then God is both moral and amoral. Amoral because nature (for the most part) is amoral. And moral because we humans (who are part of nature) are moral.

Hope that makes some sense without me having to drink more coffee and rewrite it.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
Sunstone said:
Can't know.

Sunstone said:
God is not god's creation.

Sunstone said:
I don't believe that morality is a product of god, but of thinking.

Sunstone said:
Infinity of god-spirit is here, now, in this moment of time. Begining with my spirit, as only I can, it encompasses all things in all directions, including me. Morality is one of those things --moralities are too.

As to the latter question: yes, which is another reason why I would never say that.

Sunstone said:
Good question, the first.

It is necessary for god to be because I am; therein, I am stymied. There's the rub, as Shakespear might (not) say: if I am something, anything, that I attribute to spirit does that mean god is too? If god is spirit, and spirit is a certain thing, am I that also? I don't know. I think a lot of what the Image of God becomes is because of this attributing process, in addition to mythic images drawn from subconscious areas of the mind. As to god's nature, though, I'll have to fall back on the old agnostic's "I can't say."

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Sunstone said:
I think that if there is a deity, then that deity is everything and everything is that deity. So we are all God. And if we and everything else are God, then God is both moral and amoral. Amoral because nature (for the most part) is amoral. And moral because we humans (who are part of nature) are moral.

Hope that makes some sense without me having to drink more coffee and rewrite it.

Actually, that makes perfect sense (to me); maybe I therefore need more coffee.............your
that deity is everything and everything is that deity
slots in with my ideas perfectly.

Kay

Towards the Sun
Sunstone said:

Makes perfect sense to me too.

Although, thinking it over last night, it did raise a question in my mind: Are humans moral?

We seem to have equal parts morality and immorality within us. If we are on that fine line between the two, (in essence "neutral"), with free will to choose between any given set of actions, wouldn't that make us, by definition, amoral as well?

Just thinking out loud here. :D

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Sunstone said:

Hehe, I don't drink coffee, but that still makes quite a bit of sense to me Phil. My own two cents is that we have never been "externalized" and that the "whole enchilada of creation" is still within "god".

Due to the big bang, we are all made of "god stuff", as is everthing, as there is no way to separate the object from the basic building blocks that form it. In the words of Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young, "We are stardust. We are golden." I certainly could be wrong, but I do not see how.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Neosnoia said:
We seem to have equal parts morality and immorality within us. If we are on that fine line between the two, (in essence "neutral"), with free will to choose between any given set of actions, wouldn't that make us, by definition, amoral as well?

Just thinking out loud here. :D

In calling people "moral" I meant to imply that people are concerned about morality in ways that, say, a spider or fly are not. But your point that people can be immoral is certainly valid.

Kay

Towards the Sun
Sunstone said:
In calling people "moral" I meant to imply that people are concerned about morality in ways that, say, a spider or fly are not. But your point that people can be immoral is certainly valid.

Actually, what you're saying makes more sense. I'm stretching the definition of amorality to use it the way I have here.

Lately I've been pondering the idea of ethics, and what the idea of ethics even means coming from a nondualist perspective. :help:

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Neosnoia said:
Lately I've been pondering the idea of ethics, and what the idea of ethics even means coming from a nondualist perspective. :help:

Wow! That sounds like it would make an interesting thread! Care to start one?