• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is Desease mongering

factseeker88

factseeker88
*Mongering is where someone is trying to promote or sell something or some idea. In France it is against the law to promote drugs or medications on TV, radio, in magazines, newspapers or in any other fashion. Only doctors may recommend medications to their patients.

BBC NEWS of 11 April 2006:

”Pharmaceutical firms are inventing diseases to sell more drugs, researchers have warned. ‘Disease-mongering’ promotes non-existent diseases and exaggerates mild problems to boost profits, the Public Library of Science Medicine reported.”

Alceste

Vagabond
What are some of the non-existent diseases?

I believe I read that "osteoperosis" was invented to sell birth control pills to post-menopausal women. It is actually completely normal for healthy human beings to lose bone density as they age.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I believe I read that "osteoperosis" was invented to sell birth control pills to post-menopausal women. It is actually completely normal for healthy human beings to lose bone density as they age.
Sort of like Alzheimer's, cataracts, & arthritis....just normal conditions
which drug companies have made in to bad things, aka, "diseases", eh?
What a waste to treat such faux maladies! Especially in old people!
Evil Big Pharma....making what's left of our lives more enjoyable!

Last edited:

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member

I wish people had bought more pills in the past. the world would have been less overpopulated by now

factseeker88

factseeker88
I wish people had bought more pills in the past. the world would have been less overpopulated by now

Most of the medicine just doesn't work, but who knows what the long range affect could be.

:sorry1::sorry1::sorry1:

“[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]What we think, or what we know, or what we believe is, in the end, of little consequence. [/FONT][FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]The only consequence is WHAT WE DO.”[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, sans-serif][/FONT][FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]John Ruskin (1819 - 1900) [/FONT]

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
Fibromyalgia seems to be one of these fabricated illnesses. I love how on the commercial for a medication for it, they assure the viewer that "fibromyalgia is REAL illness," as though people need to be reassured of the actual existence of verifiable diseases.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
It's just like how surgeons invent "transgender syndrome" in order to create a
new market. Formerly, such gender confusion was just due to a lack of prayer.

Alceste

Vagabond
Sort of like Alzheimer's, cataracts, & arthritis....just normal conditions
which drug companies have made in to bad things, aka, "diseases", eh?
What a waste to treat such faux maladies! Especially in old people!
Evil Big Pharma....making what's left of our lives more enjoyable!

There's a difference between saying "Aging naturally involves a gradual loss of bone density, which can be mitigated by a variety of lifestyle changes and / or dietary supplements - here are some of the available options" and "ZOMG! YOU HAVE A TERRIBLE DISEASE CALLED OSTEOPEROSIS! HERE'S A VITAL PRESCRIPTION FOR BIRTH CONTROL PILLS!"

There's much in a name. It's a brilliant marketing strategy, but not a very intelligent public health policy.

Also, the fad of prescribing the pill to post-menopausal women is poisitvely correlated with breast cancer risk. So what would you rather have? A naturally occurring loss of bone density as you age with a fake "disease" name, or breast cancer - an actual disease?

factseeker88

factseeker88
It's just like how surgeons invent "transgender syndrome" in order to create a new market.

You can say the same thing about genes, which are only educated guesswork and a sketch of a double helix.

“[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]What we think, or what we know, or what we believe is, in the end, of little consequence. [/FONT][FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]The only consequence is WHAT WE DO.”[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, sans-serif][/FONT][FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]John Ruskin (1819 - 1900) [/FONT]