• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is Deism A Form Of Theism?

tumbleweed41

Resident Liberal Hippie
yeah, you agree with other deists that "god" exists, but i just can't imagine how, being that you don't think that thinks, or is at all a being..
You really like putting words in other peoples mouths don't you?
I did not say God does not think or is not a being. I said I would not attempt personification or anthropomorphism of God. I know nothing about the attributes of God other than it is bound, as far as I can reason, to the natural laws of the universe.
I would not call God a 'person' as you put it as that would be attempting to personify God.
A foolish and unreasonable assumption in my opinion.
Since a Deist does not hold to any "revealed revelations", nor do I know of any "deist prophets", we know nothing of the nature of God other than what can be reasonable deducted from the observations of how our Universe works.

horntooth

Sextian
I did not say God does not think or is not a being.
you don't think that god is a being, that he thinks, has mind/ reason. you said you would not say such things, i.e- you don't believe in those thing (that god is a being/ thinks/ has a mind).

we know nothing of the nature of God other than what can be reasonable deducted from the observations of how our Universe works.
and what you have you deduced? that "god" exists, but you don't know what "god" is. it's like you "observed the universe" and saw a word "god" (written on the wall of the universe or whatever), so you said- okay, god exists. -what is god? i have no clue..

tumbleweed41

Resident Liberal Hippie
you don't think that god is a being,
I never said that.
that he thinks,
I never said that.
has mind/ reason.
I never said that.
you said you would not say such things, i.e- you don't believe in those thing (that god is a being/ thinks/ has a mind).
What color hat am I wearing right now?
You don't know?
It would be unreasonable to say for certain that you know exactly what color hat I am wearing?
Oh, you can guess, but you will never know for certain because I will not reveal to you if I am even wearing a hat.
Get it?

and what you have you deduced? that "god" exists, but you don't know what "god" is. it's like you "observed the universe" and saw a word "god" (written on the wall of the universe or whatever), so you said- okay, god exists. -what is god? i have no clue..
:facepalm:

Cherubim

I'm a Deist as well. Tumbleweed, in my opinion, has done an excellent job of describing Deism. (and for defending his position from certain tenacious posters :) )

ThePainefulTruth

Romantic-Cynic
Since a Deist does not hold to any "revealed revelations", nor do I know of any "deist prophets", we know nothing of the nature of God other than what can be reasonable deducted from the observations of how our Universe works.

Or what His motivations might be, such as, why He doesn't interact in the universe.

Personally, I think it's obvious. He can't intervene without undermining our free will--the enabling of which is the whole purpose for the universe. This is a stage where we, without strings, are supposed to make our moral choices in a rational manner--even though some (many?) choose to be irrational. It's part of the test. We must not only try to live by a rational moral code, we must do so while submerged in all the irrational noise.