• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is Deism A Form Of Theism?

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
The only difference I see is on the issue of whether God is interventionist.

DIR ALERT: If you are not a deist, please limit your responses to respectful questions.

Nepenthe

Tu Stultus Es
Me three.

Close thread. We've answered the question. Now onto the meaning of life. Storm? Atotalstranger?

Nepenthe

Tu Stultus Es
Of course I don't mind (I was kind of being a smart *** in case that post was misunderstood)- but have you met or heard from any deists that say it isn't a form of theism? Pantheists maybe....?
:shrug:

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
Of course I don't mind (I was kind of being a smart *** in case that post was misunderstood)-
No I was teasing, too.

but have you met or heard from any deists that say it isn't a form of theism? Pantheists maybe....?
:shrug:
Not specifically, I'm just looking for conversation.

tumbleweed41

Resident Liberal Hippie
Deism is a philosophical belief in the existence of a God (or Prime Mover) on the basis of reason, and observation of the natural world alone. Deist believe this God is intrapersonal and is not involved directly in its creation.
Theism involves an interpersonal God who is usually active in its creation. Theism is normally the result of faith and/or reveled revelation.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
Deism is a philosophical belief in the existence of a God (or Prime Mover) on the basis of reason, and observation of the natural world alone. Deist believe this God is intrapersonal and is not involved directly in its creation.
Theism involves an interpersonal God who is usually active in its creation. Theism is normally the result of faith and/or reveled revelation.
Yes, but that seems to be the only difference.

Do you believe that God is supernatural? What does supernatural mean to you?

tumbleweed41

Resident Liberal Hippie
Yes, but that seems to be the only difference.

Do you believe that God is supernatural? What does supernatural mean to you?

To me, supernatural means outside the Laws of Nature. I do not see God as being outside these Laws. In fact, I see God as being limited by these Laws.
I do not see God as Omnipotent, or Omniscient.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
OK, thanks for answering.

I'm a bit confused, though. Didn't God author the laws of nature, as the Creator? Do you think the Creation was ex nihilo?

tumbleweed41

Resident Liberal Hippie
No, I do not believe God did author them. God is a result of those Laws and is therefor bound by them. So ex nihilo creation would be a paradox. The matter and energy existed to be manipulated.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
Cool. So what is God? Something eternal? A Sufficiently Advanced Alien? Something else?

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
Aw, but it's so much fun!

Seriously, thanks for your answers. I'm hoping a few more deists will chime in, but I agree that your deism, at least, is not theistic.

tumbleweed41

Resident Liberal Hippie
Aw, but it's so much fun!

Seriously, thanks for your answers. I'm hoping a few more deists will chime in, but I agree that your deism, at least, is not theistic.

I have to admit, I have spoken to other Deists, or visited "Deist" sites that seem a bit more Theistic than Deistic.
More in line with the Christian Deists of the 18th and 19th century than Modern Deism.

Wandered Off

Sporadic Driveby Member
I have to admit, I have spoken to other Deists, or visited "Deist" sites that seem a bit more Theistic than Deistic.
Indeed. I was booted off one of those for trying to differentiate between the two. :eek:

Since there isn't any 'deist' doctrine, it's hard to pin down an unambiguous definition. The broadest one, which is the one I settled on eventually, was this: Deists are those who arrive at their view of deity through reason alone (as opposed to, say, second-hand revelation, religious 'authorities' or the like).

This allows for all sorts of variations, as you might imagine, and it does unfortunately blur the line. The downside is that I was forced to accept that definition even for people whose reason I considered suspect. People would reason their way to conclusions I don't think they could sufficiently support IMO, which didn't help the image of deism.