• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is death of Ossama will save the world from terrorism

Marble

Rolling Marble
I said it before and I say it again: I would have prefered to see Mr. Bin Laden in court.
As for Al Quaida they will go on without him, I think ObL was just a symbolic figure in that oranization and not much involved in active planning any more.
As for change in the Islamic world, this is going on right now - without Bin Laden, without Al Quaida.

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
No. Terrorism has nothing to do with religion or individuals. There were terrorist groups before Al Qaeda, there are terrorist groups that are not Muslim at all (ever hear of the IRA?), and I'd argue that certain governments have engaged in acts of terrorism.

No. Terrorism has nothing to do with religion or individuals. There were terrorist groups before Al Qaeda, there are terrorist groups that are not Muslim at all (ever hear of the IRA?), and I'd argue that certain governments have engaged in acts of terrorism.

Incidently the conflict in Ireland which the IRA played a significant role in was partly rooted in religion. Granted not all terrorism is done in the name of religion but religion often promotes sectarianism which in turn leads to violence between different religious groups.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Nope. There will be others to replace him, and other groups that are in no way related to Al Qaeda to resort to terrorism.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
I just don't understand why there are people who expect Osama Bin Laden's death to make much of a difference, much less why such difference would be for the better.

It did not work out all that well when the Israelis killed the Munich terrorists. There is absolutely no reason to expect it to work any better now.

beenie

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I just don't understand why there are people who expect Osama Bin Laden's death to make much of a difference, much less why such difference would be for the better.

It did not work out all that well when the Israelis killed the Munich terrorists. There is absolutely no reason to expect it to work any better now.

Agree. I don't understand it either. :shrug:

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
Agree. I don't understand it either. :shrug:
Well. you know. thousands of Americans dead. OBL dead 10 years later, as some kind of a symbolic triumph. thousands of Americans celebrating in the streets.
like I told my British partner at the gym when we both stared at the screen while jogging, 'what a bunch of rednecks'.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
Killing one roach doesn't get rid of an infestation. Doesn't mean I'm not going to squash one when I see it scurry across my floor.

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
Incidently the conflict in Ireland which the IRA played a significant role in was partly rooted in religion. Granted not all terrorism is done in the name of religion but religion often promotes sectarianism which in turn leads to violence between different religious groups.

Indeed. :(

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Well. you know. thousands of Americans dead. OBL dead 10 years later, as some kind of a symbolic triumph. thousands of Americans celebrating in the streets.
like I told my British partner at the gym when we both stared at the screen while jogging, 'what a bunch of rednecks'.
All I could think while I was watching the news, seeing cheering crowds and one reported saying people having been this excited about someone's death since Hitler's, and all I could think was is it really worth it? We ruined our economy, lost more lives in the war to get him than what was lost on the 9/11 attacks, we sacrificed freedoms for security and we are still stuck with the "security," and how is the death of someone who probably didn't have much time left anyways going to make us anymore safe?
Really it seems more a fault of the biggest percentage of Americans in general.

If anything it will make matters significantly worse now! We are not dealing with rational people here or th regular decent Muslim. These are very extreme lunatics who will now have just one goal to avenge the death of their leader. The unstable world is now more so & many people in UK are expecting serious action to hit the Olympic games in 2012. There are huge numbers of illegal people in th UK & a few percentage of them will no doubt be extremists.

If anything it will make matters significantly worse now! We are not dealing with rational people here or th regular decent Muslim. These are very extreme lunatics who will now have just one goal to avenge the death of their leader. The unstable world is now more so & many people in UK are expecting serious action to hit the Olympic games in 2012. There are huge numbers of illegal people in th UK & a few percentage of them will no doubt be extremists.

Its entirely possible to be a British born Islamic terrorist. This is probably more of a problem than those coming into the country from abroad.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Remember the news about the "American terrorist" or whatever they called him? People just couldn't believe that someone born here turned out to be a muslim terrorist. It happens. As for the Olympic Games, people have been scared about terrorist attacks before, and how often does it actually happen?