• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is America a Babylonian society?

Isabella Lecour

I don't know if anyone here is puzzled by this idealogy like I have been. I did some digging on the net and I think I have found a docutment that may help place these arguements in their proper perspective. The following artical is from Wilkipedia and I belive that this might be a source document in particular interest to this debate. I recomend visiting the site artical and to take a look at the source document via the link that the artical provides at the bottom of the page. If I but had this pamphlet in hard copy, I wonder what it would look like after I read through it with a yellow highlighter and a pencile. :jiggy:

Happy Reading,
Isabella

The Two Babylons was a religious pamphlet initially produced by the Scottish theologian Alexander Hislop in 1853, later expanded in 1858 and finally created as a book in 1919. Its central theme was that the Roman Catholic church was the new Babylon and that it was based on paganism. Due to this, Hislop stated that:

"she must be stripped of the name of a Christian Church altogether" (Hislop (http://www.biblebelievers.com/babylon/intro.htm), 1858). Although extensively footnoted, many commentators (in particular Ralph Woodrow) have noted that there are numerous misconceptions and factual errors in the document.

[SNIPED TO PRESERVE BREIFNESS]

Roman Catholicism and Babylonian mystery religion

Hislop starts by comparing the Babylonians mystery religions to the Roman Catholic church.

He links them by quoting Revelation 17:4-5:

" 4And the woman was arrayed in purple and scarlet colour, and decked with gold and precious stones and pearls, having a golden cup in her hand full of abominations and filthiness of her fornication:

5And upon her forehead was a name written, MYSTERY, BABYLON THE GREAT, THE MOTHER OF HARLOTS AND ABOMINATIONS OF THE EARTH. "
—biblegateway.com (http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Revelation17:4-5)

In particular he emphasises the "MYSTERY" part of the verse and the golden cup that the women holds. Hislop draws an analogy between the Babylonian religious ceremonies and Roman Catholic practices. The Babylonians required the participation in ceremonies to be initiated into their "mysteries" by drinking "mysterious beverages", which Hislop says dulled the partaker and opened them to concepts they would not accept in a normal state, and so the analogy he makes with the Roman Catholic church is that the priesthood gradually introduced concepts to Christianity that the original Christians would not have accepted. He further notes that, in 1825, Pope Leo XII released a Jubilee medallion with an image of the Pope on one side and an image of a woman — representing the Roman Catholic church — with a cross in one hand and a cup in the other hand. Hislop then provides evidence that foreign concepts have been introduced into the church, such as celibacy and the confessional. He cites evidence that several graves in the Roman catacombs have inscriptions that show that priests and elders were married, and alleges that the system of Roman Catholic confessional was borrowed from the Babylonians and is contrary to James 5:16:

" 16Confess your faults one to another, and pray one for another, that ye may be healed. The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much."

—biblegateway.com (http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=James%205:16)

Hislop concludes the first chapter by observing that in much the same way that

"Chaldean priests were believed alone to possess the key to the understanding of the Mythology of Babylon, a key handed down to them from primeval antiquity, so the priests of Rome set up to be the sole interpreters of Scripture; they only had the true tradition, transmitted from age to age, without which it was impossible to arrive at its true meaning."

—biblebelievers.com (http://www.biblebelievers.com/babylon/sect1.htm)

[SNIPED TO PRESERVE BREIFNESS]
External link

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Hi Flash 21, Namaste.

I see this is your first post on the forum, and I would therefore like to welcome you;

You might like to have a look at :- Articles for New Members ; from there, there is a link to the forum rules, which you ought to see.

Next time you are here, why not introduce yourself onAre you new to ReligiousForums.com?
From there you can tell us a bit about yourself.

Hope to see you on the forum soon!:)

Nimaj

what do you think about the war Bush is doing
Personally, I think that Bush is in Iraq for Oil and the preservation of America, which has always been refered to as a Christian Nation. I am Glad that Jvi picked this website to display this, because if he had said it in a "Pagan Church that worships Lucifer and worships the self" he would probably have been reprimanded with fire from heaven. Jesus sends his holy presence "whenever they are gathered together in my name" and, thus, we can worship him in spirit. Upholding the instructions that Jesus gave in the four gospels is how we worship him in truth. We also worship him in spirt and in truth by praying for things (healing, touch, etc...) and by the baptism of the holy ghost, which only GOD has the POWER to send. I feel that i will be questioned tremendously for my previous statement, and if you desire more information on this, E-mail me ([email protected])

By the way, although many christian churches have no real fire, they are still doing the will of God and spreading the gospel of Jesus Christ.