• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is Abortion Ethical?

निताइ dasa

Nitai's servant's servant
This sounds like you're saying in the case of a rape impregnation that the woman has no choice but to bear the child. Isn't this like saying if someone sets your house on fire you arrest the arsonist, but the homeowner has to let the house burn down?

In this scenario the house has already burnt down. The women autonomy has already been violated after the act of rape.

Its like, let's say someone burn's down your house. You are not allowed to steal another's house as a means to restore your home. In cases of rape I do sympathies with the victim, (I really do) but I don't think causing more death and harm is an answer to the case.

Now if the mother is going to die as a result of pregnancy, then that is a different matter all together, and one of the cases which I belief abortion is acceptable.

Last edited:

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
In this scenario the house has already burnt down. The women autonomy has already been violated after the act of rape.
"So why not rape her again"... that's your position?

Its like, let's say someone burn's down your house. You are not allowed to steal another's house as a means to restore your home.
... but you are allowed to kick a squatter off your land.

The womb belongs to the woman, not the fetus.

निताइ dasa

Nitai's servant's servant
But does this apply generally? We don't force people to donate life-saving organs or tissue - or even blood - and we don't force people to put themselves in peril to save others, so it seems it's not true in a general that we demand that others give up their autonomy or bodily security to save another life.

Yes, and my principle can equally explain these above example. In fact the organ donation example supports my first premise, namely that cannot one disrupt another's intact rights as a means to restore an already violated right. I cannot be forced to give my organs to save another's life (right of life) because then my intact autonomy would be a mere means to restore the already partially violated right of life of another person (the person needing the organ). This principle explains why we have a strong duty to not harm the rights of other, but not a strong duty to help restore, or be forced to restore the rights of others. In the case of abortion, the mother's autonomy as already been violated (either by her own consent to a sexual act or due to rape, in which case the rapist is guilty), however she cannot end use the fetus' life (namely end it) as a means to restore even her own autonomy,. Therefore the very act of abortion is unethical and inconsistent with our concept of rights. When people bring up the organ donation example (usually after reading Thompson's abortion paper) they fail to understand that the very example is ambiguous in that it can be used to support both sides of the debate. As the philosopher Kant said, moral rights as categorical imperative, they are 'ought not principles'(negative duties) rather than "ought to principles' (positive duties).

When a women is pregnant, no-one is 'forcing her' to be pregnant in the way that someone forces one to give up organs or blood. You can only force singular acts, but pregnancy is a natural ongoing process. Its like saying that someone is forcing me to breath, or my cells to respire. Yes there may be a moral imperative to force a women not to abort (because that involved violating another's namely the fetus' right of life), because like I mentioned before ought not duties are far stronger duties.

but regardless... you think that a fetus - something that depends on a form of literal life support to live - is more akin to a healthy person than someone who's close to death? Why?

I never said that. I said a Fetus has a right to life. Comatose patients alto require literal life support to live, but they are regarded as persons warranting moral protections.

Are you talking about legal or moral rights here?

Legally, it's clear that yoir interpretation is wrong: if my property is stolen and then sold to an unwitting third party, I can get my property back, even if the unwitting third party can't recover the loss from the thief.

This is about whether abortion is unethical (a moral question) hence moral rights.

As for the legal issue, the interpretation is certainly not 'clear', and the example you give is not analogous to the point I was making. If a property of mine is stolen, (by a thief) I cannot go up to a random person and take there money as a means to restore my property. A fetus, is unlike the thief in that they are not culpable in any way for the violation of the women's autonomy. If the thief did give it to unknowing person, then yes I can take my property back from then provided that the thief is then also responsible for paying that person back for selling stolen property (i.e the unknowing person loses nothing in this scenario).

Lets say I am a parent with children. My children are a burden to me (economically, socially) and to feed them I must give up some of my autonomy (whether that be bodily autonomy, when a mother gives breast milk to a child) or my right of property (when I must give some of my money and resources to provide for them). These constraints of my rights however is not an excuse to kill my children (because not only is that immoral but also murder). Again the point is shown that I cannot restore my rights if it involves violating the rights of another. Nor can I claim that the government is forcing me to raise children. Perhaps the children must stay with me for some time until child protection services can take them away.

"Arguable" is an understatement... but it seems like you would agree that a fetus has no more rights than a person does; correct?

A fetus has less rights than a rational person (for example a fetus does not have right to vote), but a fetus does have a right to life and to their body

Except you haven't established that the fetus's "right of life" supersedes the right of the pregnant person to autonomy and bodily security. All you did was decree this without justifying it.

Actually I gave several examples to support my premise (1) that you cannot violate an already intact right as a means to restore a violated one. What I have shown is that any right cannot be violated as a means to restore another right.

"So why not rape her again"... that's your position?

No

... but you are allowed to kick a squatter off your land.

Not if it involves killing them. Countries are generally autonomous (they are sovereign) but any country that kills an unwanted refugee as a means to remove them for their land would be condemned as immoral.

Last edited:

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
If the life of the child and mother are in danger I would consider it ethical. If the pregnancy is the result if rape and/or incest, I would also consider it ethical. If not for either one of these reasons imo, its unethical.
I am in complete agreement with you here. Although I suspect that we came to our conclusions differently.

There is no God who cares about us, what we do or what happens to us. I believe in God, but also Reality. The Reality is (among other things) that humans need cooperation and caring and empathy to survive, much less live well. So we must do it for each other because there is no God to help out or provide Cosmic Justice in an afterlife.

One of the concepts modern ethicists have invented to help by providing objective guidelines is "human rights". These are many and varied, some take precedence over others if they come into conflict.

The right to continue your life trumps any other right. If someone can kill you, you really haven't any of the other ones. A healthy gestation period is the most fundamental possible human right. It is not an absolute, any more than any of the others. I agree completely that medical issues are different from elective abortions, because the choice is between two lives not just choosing death for someone. It wouldn't take much elevated risk(over a normal pregnancy) to justify an abortion because I value the mother vastly more than a fetus, especially at the earliest stages. I am also OK with abortions in the case of rape (at an early stage) because the trauma of bearing the rapist's baby outweighs the value of a very young human.

There really just aren't many clear bright lines here. But the premise that a human being has the right to kill another human being to avoid the predictable and well understood outcome of their previous choices just isn't morally supportable.
That's the part feticide rights people always ignore or deny. Zygotes aren't some kind of free floating parasite looking for a host to infest. Zygotes are human beings at a needy stage of life, human beings put in that position by the parents who know full well where babies come from. Competent adults know the risks and know that they are 100% avoidable.

Tom

Enoch07

It's all a sick freaking joke.
Premium Member
I am in complete agreement with you here. Although I suspect that we came to our conclusions differently.

There is no God who cares about us, what we do or what happens to us. I believe in God, but also Reality. The Reality is (among other things) that humans need cooperation and caring and empathy to survive, much less live well. So we must do it for each other because there is no God to help out or provide Cosmic Justice in an afterlife.

One of the concepts modern ethicists have invented to help by providing objective guidelines is "human rights". These are many and varied, some take precedence over others if they come into conflict.

The right to continue your life trumps any other right. If someone can kill you, you really haven't any of the other ones. A healthy gestation period is the most fundamental possible human right. It is not an absolute, any more than any of the others. I agree completely that medical issues are different from elective abortions, because the choice is between two lives not just choosing death for someone. It wouldn't take much elevated risk(over a normal pregnancy) to justify an abortion because I value the mother vastly more than a fetus, especially at the earliest stages. I am also OK with abortions in the case of rape (at an early stage) because the trauma of bearing the rapist's baby outweighs the value of a very young human.

There really just aren't many clear bright lines here. But the premise that a human being has the right to kill another human being to avoid the predictable and well understood outcome of their previous choices just isn't morally supportable.
That's the part feticide rights people always ignore or deny. Zygotes aren't some kind of free floating parasite looking for a host to infest. Zygotes are human beings at a needy stage of life, human beings put in that position by the parents who know full well where babies come from. Competent adults know the risks and know that they are 100% avoidable.

Tom

After reading your post here like 5 times over to make sure. I can tell ya we are 100% on the same page for the same reasons. That being said, I don't judge anyone who has had an abortion, regardless of whatever reason they did it. Nor would I ever try to force anyone to live by my principles, but my opinion mostly covers my own life. Though I do wish everyone would adopt our line of thought on abortion.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
For those worried about overpopulation, if your so worried about overpopulation why is being able to abort more important than asking people who do not want children, to stop having sex. Perhaps we should castrate people who do not want children.
Many years ago a similar notion came to me. I've suggested it a few times in real life, and a few times on internet forums including RF. The response generally ranges from cold to full on attack.
Suppose we kept RvW in place, giving women the right to a safe, secret, even subsidized abortion for any reason. But if the abortion isn't needed for a medical or rape* issue it automatically comes with sterilization.
Nobody's autonomy is violated, nobody is forced to do anything. People can still have all the irresponsible sex they want and sweep the results under the rug with an abortion. No rights are being violated in any way, since there is no right to procreate. And in the modern world, seven billion of us and skyrocketing, I don't think adding such a new right is morally supportable.
Tom

ETA ~ *This is complicated by the modern use of the word rape. It used to be forcible or statutory. Now it can be used to include "I was too drunk to mean it when I said yes to a drunk horny guy." That isn't the same. ~

Last edited:

pearl

Christianity is terribly inconsistent in history.

Historical abortion beliefs of the Christian church

And that is the reason the Supreme Court made no decision as to when life began. "We need not resolve the difficult question of when life begins.
When those trained in the respective disciplines of medicine, philosophy, and theology are unable to arrive at any consensus, the judiciary is not in apposition to speculate as to the answer." The Court also noted that the official Catholic position that life begins at the moment of conception has been in the church's official teaching only since the 19th century.

For myself, borrowing from Bill Clinton, 'abortion ought to be safe and rare.'

BSM1

What? Me worry?

Its like, let's say someone burn's down your house. You are not allowed to steal another's house as a means to restore your home. In cases of rape I do sympathies with the victim, (I really do) but I don't think causing more death and harm is an answer to the case.

Now if the mother is going to die as a result of pregnancy, then that is a different matter all together, and one of the cases which I belief abortion is acceptable.

So you would rape her again?

Sorry 9-10ths_Penguin but I had to say it too.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
So wait until the womb is no longer strictly needed to insist that it be provided without its owner's consent? This position seems like the worst of both worlds... though you aren't the first person I've heard suggest it.
Sorry, perhaps my reading skills are faulty today, but I don't know what that even means.

Enoch07

It's all a sick freaking joke.
Premium Member
Many years ago a similar notion came to me. I've suggested it a few times in real life, and a few times on internet forums including RF. The response generally ranges from cold to full on attack.
Suppose we kept RvW in place, giving women the right to a safe, secret, even subsidized abortion for any reason. But if the abortion isn't needed for a medical or rape* issue it automatically comes with sterilization.
Nobody's autonomy is violated, nobody is forced to do anything. People can still have all the irresponsible sex they want and sweep the results under the rug with an abortion. No rights are being violated in any way, since there is no right to procreate. And in the modern world, seven billion of us and skyrocketing, I don't think adding such a new right is morally supportable.
Tom

Call me crazy, but that sounds reasonable to me.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Sorry, perhaps my reading skills are faulty today, but I don't know what that even means.
I mean that if you allow abortion until viability but not after, the implication is:

- while the fetus absolutely needs the uterus, it's okay to remove it.
- once the fetus can get by without the uterus, it must be allowed to stay.

It makes no sense from either a pro-choice or an anti-abortion stance.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
I mean that if you allow abortion until viability but not after, the implication is:

- while the fetus absolutely needs the uterus, it's okay to remove it.
- once the fetus can get by without the uterus, it must be allowed to stay.

It makes no sense from either a pro-choice or an anti-abortion stance.
Ah, thank you for the clarification. And I can't say that I altogether disagree.

But you may be surprised at how many conceptions actually self-terminate naturally (about 31%), which means that there are certainly natural reason why the pregnancy ought not to go forward.

That clouds the issue, of course, but this is an ethical question in an area fraught with emotion, fraught with religious beliefs, and any number of other issues. Welcome to the ethics of being human -- it ain't always easy!

So, for example, in my ethical evaluation, I include the desires of the mother as "natural reasons," along with other considerations, like the likelihood of adoption (not certain, by a long shot, as I can attest), and a whole host of other considerations.

So let's throw a straw man in for just a moment, and ask whether it would be "abortion" to terminate an infant a minute after it is delivered (either vaginally or by c-sect)? No, that would be murder, yes?

But what about a minute before? Well think about that for a moment -- that abortion would be such a major procedure that it might really need to be done with the kind of invasive surgery involved in a C-section. And in that case, why not just do the section and preserve the (now) baby alive? And how about a week before? Or at 21 weeks from conception?

These things are hard to think about, but that doesn't mean we should stop trying.

pearl

[QUOTE="columbus, post: 5402971, member: 52258
~[/QUOTE]

Originally, RvW did not address abortion on demand. A forced sterilization is no less intrusive on a woman's right. As Justice Scalia noted the Court does not concern itself with the 'morality' of abortion. He wrote; " “My difference with Roe v. Wade is a legal rather than a moral one: I do not believe . . . that the Constitution contains a right to abortion. And if a state were to permit abortion on demand, I would—and could in good conscience—vote against an attempt to invalidate that law for the same reason that I vote against the invalidation of laws that forbid abortion on demand: because the Constitution gives the federal government (and hence me) no power over the matter.”

Rape is a complicated issue. Judging by the courts by the time rape is proven it would be too late to procure an abortion. And is not abortion due to rape simply visiting the sin of the father on the child?

Last edited:

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Why aren't orphanages and similar children's homes not empty? One of my close relatives adopted a kid for this reason. There were still many left there, even though abortion is legal here.
My understanding is that a big problem is the barriers to adoption. Statistics are hard to find especially from neutral sources. One barrier is cultural Surprising Facts You May Not Know About Adoption Another problem is the barriers to adoption Why More People Don’t Adopt

When we got our current dog, we had to fill out extensive forms, take pictures of our back yard and have an interview to make sure we'd be suitable. I can only imagine how much worse the red tape is for adoption these days.

Jumi

My understanding is that a big problem is the barriers to adoption. Statistics are hard to find especially from neutral sources. One barrier is cultural Surprising Facts You May Not Know About Adoption Another problem is the barriers to adoption Why More People Don’t Adopt
https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/singletons/200810/why-more-people-don-t-adopt
There is a reason for that as most who've ever heard about child protection agencies. Some would say that isn't it better to have any parents at all? But if that "parent" has criminal intentions then it's better to let them suffer where they are now.

When we got our current dog, we had to fill out extensive forms, take pictures of our back yard and have an interview to make sure we'd be suitable. I can only imagine how much worse the red tape is for adoption these days.
Same with dogs as adoption. You know people buy dogs for reasons other than getting pets.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
There is a reason for that as most who've ever heard about child protection agencies. Some would say that isn't it better to have any parents at all? But if that "parent" has criminal intentions then it's better to let them suffer where they are now.

Same with dogs as adoption. You know people buy dogs for reasons other than getting pets.
That's why reasonable checking is fine. But some is excessive which is my basic point.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Wow, where did you adopt from? The pound certainly didn't put me through all that when I adopted my dog.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Wow, where did you adopt from? The pound certainly didn't put me through all that when I adopted my dog.
When we were looking to adopt our current dog, one rescue agency would not accept our application without a home visit. Another asked if we had locks on the gates to the back yard. And of course there were extensive questions asked on various online forms.

I remember thinking that one form was about as extensive as I would expect to adopt a child.

Jumi

That's why reasonable checking is fine. But some is excessive which is my basic point.
Perhaps in your area there have been lots of them used for animal testing of drugs and someone pushed for more requirements.

With child protective agencies, I think much of it is justified, at least in my area. One "bad guy" can ruin a lot...