• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is a trans man really a man or a trans woman really a woman?

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
The bathroom thing is a manufactured controversy made up by idiots. People have been "passing" as the opposite sex for millennia. Medical sex changes have been happening for almost a century now, ever since they figured out what hormones were and how to synthesize them for medical use. So we've been around for a long, long time. People just haven't been paying much attention. Sometimes a transsexual would become famous now and then (like her in the '50s: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christine_Jorgensen), but it's recently become a bigger issue because of the LGBT rights movement.

I mean, really. Women like these aren't a threat to anyone in the ladies' room:

54821ade72639_-_janet-mock-0611-1-xl.jpg

29B39EE200000578-0-image-a-67_1434596151759.jpg

Carmen+Carrera+Arrivals+24th+Annual+GLAAD+FosAkKLe2t7l.jpg

tumblr_inline_nm3arxf3kH1ru7x0e_540.jpg

I think you knocked them down with a strike.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
However, if you adjust the hormones of a man to imitate women's hormone, his voice with become softer and he might grow breasts - physiology.
There will be breast growth (as well as some development of the areola and nipple), and the voice is unaffected. Fat distribution also changes, body hair reduces (b, skin softens (but also dries), emotional shifts occur, sex drive is reduces, and with long enough of a hormone treatment there is sterility and penis and testicle shrinkage. Most will reverse once natural hormones resume. Hormones will not effect gender identity.

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member
The biology of sex/gender is a really complex thing. And sex/gender is almost always assigned by doctors based on genitalia at birth; not usually based on chromosomes. They rarely do genetic testing on babies. They just look at their private parts and call it.

Some people are born with XY chromosomes but naturally are born with a vagina and develop breasts (complete androgen insensitivity syndrome), are medically and legally assigned as girls at birth without anyone realizing otherwise, and grow up as girls, and don't even find out about their chromosomes until they fail to have periods as teenagers and get genetically tested. Then they just go on to live as women anyway. Other people have the opposite situation, with XX chromosomes and a penis, and assigned male or intersex. Some people are born with XXY chromosomes and have androgynous features. Sometimes it's difficult for doctors to determine what sex a baby is, since there's no real singular definition.

Several studies show that transgender people on average have parts of their brains that look more like the sex they identify with than the sex they were assigned as at birth, and that this is likely due to prenatal factors. It's not unreasonable to view transsexualism as a form of an intersex condition, or to expect that those brain regions might have something to do with their inner bodymaps or how their brains relate to hormones.

I had a nurse once, at my long-term family doctor's place, who had like a beard and male pattern baldness and an obviously masculine voice. He had a wife. It didn't cross my mind that he was born anything other than male. His mannerisms and overall personality didn't trigger me to notice anything out of the ordinary. Clearly, just a guy. I found out like a year later that he was a trans guy, that he changed his name from a woman's name to a man's name, had other treatments, etc. It doesn't change how I view him at all, consciously or subconsciously; he's clearly a guy.

And I mean like, here's a trans dude:

aydian_cover.jpg

And totally hot. Anyone who would call him anything other than a guy or expect him to use the female restroom is just going out of their way to be purposely nasty.

And if someone is more androgynous, or their gender is unclear, then it's easy just to go with whatever their identity and preference are.