• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ireland to exit the Euro?

Onkara

Hi Stephenw
I heard that there was pressure put on Ireland, in the form of witheld EU funding, after the defeated Lisbon Treaty Vote. Any idea if that is true? If so would that be influencial do you think?

Best wishes, Onkarah.

sandandfoam

Veteran Member
Hi Stephenw
I heard that there was pressure put on Ireland, in the form of witheld EU funding, after the defeated Lisbon Treaty Vote. Any idea if that is true? If so would that be influencial do you think?

Best wishes, Onkarah.

'Europe' was ticked off with us after the first Lisbon vote and we were openly threatened that we would pay if we didn't vote yes second time around.
But we are going to need to keep interest rates low and devalue, there's going to be no option but to leave the single currency when European interest rates start to climb. We're also breaking the rules regarding Govt. borrowing and will continue to do so. I don't think it can continue.

Onkara

'Europe' was ticked off with us after the first Lisbon vote and we were openly threatened that we would pay if we didn't vote yes second time around.
But we are going to need to keep interest rates low and devalue, there's going to be no option but to leave the single currency when European interest rates start to climb. We're also breaking the rules regarding Govt. borrowing and will continue to do so. I don't think it can continue.
Thanks Stephenw, you are well informed :) I will watch this topic in the future, I remember hearing talk of other countries pulling out years ago, so I cannot say I am confident based on that that Ireland will be the first.

Mikael

The last thing I heard was that the whole single currency-project is cracking up. Must be hard to go back to an older currency. I mean, are all the old coins and notes already recycled? Man I´m glad we voted no.

Classicus

The last thing I heard was that the whole single currency-project is cracking up. Must be hard to go back to an older currency. I mean, are all the old coins and notes already recycled? Man I´m glad we voted no.

Having the Euro is damn handy though.

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
Good luck Ireland!

No it isn't. Why would you say that?
I too am opposed to the EU. Sorry brother, but I find it too bureaucratic and expensive to support, not to mention the fact that they can bully, as was the case with Ireland signing the Lisbon Treaty the second time around. Stupid attempts at laws such as the EU attempting to impose restrictions on "ugly fruit" further take my support away from it.

We in Europe could be united in our diversity without being under the same currency, laws and federation. We could be on good terms with the other without being forced to adhere to the same rules as them. The EU should have stayed as what it was in the beginning.