• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ireland, Norway and Spain recognise Palestinian state

Yerda

Veteran Member

Ireland, Norway and Spain have officially recognised Palestine as a separate state, prompting Israel to recall its ambassadors from two of the European states.

Speaking on Wednesday, Irish Prime Minister Simon Harris said: "Today Ireland, Norway and Spain are announcing that we recognise the state of Palestine, each of us will undertake whatever national steps are necessary to give effect to that decision.

"I am confident that further countries will join us in taking this important step in the coming weeks."

After the announcement, Israel's foreign minister ordered the country's ambassadors from Ireland and Norway to immediately return home.

Posting on X, Israel Katz said: "Today's decision sends a message to the Palestinians and the world: Terrorism pays."

Is this headed towards a sovereign Palestinian nation-state?

Yerda

Veteran Member
From the Grauniad today:

Will it have a practical impact for Palestinians?​

The momentum towards recognition may be a double-edged sword for Mahmoud Abbas’s unpopular, weak and corrupt Palestinian Authority, which governs in the occupied West Bank, where the ageing Abbas has not held legislative elections since 2006. Abbas himself has no popular mandate.

Any expectations that the latest recognitions will change the miserable conditions on the West Bank, where attacks by Israeli security forces and settlers have escalated, will almost certainly be premature, and more discontent could be directed at Abbas.

However, recognition implies a right to Palestinian self-determination, which could also help reinvigorate a Palestinian civil society that has been suffocated in the Abbas era. Perhaps most important for Palestinians is something less tangible: the acceptance that they have an explicit and fundamental right to self-determination that does not require Israel’s permission, a notion that has underpinned US mediation since Oslo.

ImmortalFlame

Woke gremlin
Yeah, but don't you get it. They are really evil, because I say so as I am special, objective and rational and I don't use feelings, because I feel that feelings are bad. I am that special. ;) :D
Ah, I see. So despite nuking them, we are not evil because we say so, and they did the bad thing first, so we don't need to see any negative consequences for our own actions and can't be judged for anything we do?

I like it. We'll call it the "Bibi Defense".

Yeah, first colonialism by one side and then terrorism by another. We ought to nuke both sides as they are all evil. ;)

It’s called Mutually Assured Destruction.

Otherwise known as a Balance of Terrorism.

(But we don’t call it that any more. That was back when we had a Department of War, before we changed the name.)

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
This is a response to Israel's human rights abuses.

It only seems like a reaction to terrorism to people who think that Israel's human rights abuses since Oct. 7 have been a necessary, reasonable, and proportional response to the attack on Oct. 7.
Why did the whole world stand by for the last 20 years and watch Hamas abuse its citizens and build a war machine using billions and billions of dollars of aid funding?

As for "proportional", that's just not how war works. War sucks.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Why did the whole world stand by for the last 20 years and watch Hamas abuse its citizens and build a war machine using billions and billions of dollars of aid funding?

Doing otherwise would have risked the wrath of Israel and its allies.

Hamas's strength now is largely the result of two factors:

- a decades-long campaign by Israel to undermine the Palestinian Authority, and
- the lesson of 2018: that the IDF's response to peaceful protest is violence.

War often involves war crimes. This doesn't mean that the perpetrators shouldn't be held responsible.

Balthazzar

Christian Evolutionist
So, the revolution continues ... another territory, another people, and another aim for recognition as an independent entity with Norway, Spain, and Ireland standing on that premise and right. Question? Does anyone truly believe this will decrease the hostilities between Israel and Palestine? What are the possible repercussions if the hostilities continue between Palestine and Israel, and how might this encourage further conflict between them with the 3 newly voiced Palestinian State supporter's stance?

I'm not opposed to a Palestinian free State outcome, but then I can't support a terrorist state either. It's a complicated conflict and It appears to be one that will continue for some time. Peaceful resolutions are rarely honored and sustained in that region.

Last edited:

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
Doing otherwise would have risked the wrath of Israel and its allies.
Wait, what? Where on earth did you get that idea?

You think Israel would have opposed having 3rd parties keep Hamas from building a war machine? How on earth is that in keeping with Israel uprooting thousands of its own civilians from Gaza and giving Gaza to the Palestinians??

Wait, what? Where on earth did you get that idea?

You think Israel would have opposed having 3rd parties keep Hamas from building a war machine? How on earth is that in keeping with Israel uprooting thousands of its own civilians from Gaza and giving Gaza to the Palestinians??

Why was Mubarak Awad deported from the land of his birth?

(They tried to do that to me, as well, here in my country, just because they didn’t like who I married.)

Nonviolence was viewed as a threat back then.

Israel’s loss is my country’s gain.

NYAP 20 YEARS VHS TAPE- The Mubarak Awad Story​

National Youth Advocate Program Inc. (NYAP)

Dr. Mubarak Awad is the founder and former president of the National Youth Advocate Program (NYAP) in the United States. The organization developed from the Ohio Youth Advocate Program (OYAP) established by Awad in 1978 with support from the Ohio Youth Commission (now the Department of Youth Services), the state department responsible for finding placements for "at risk" youth referred to the state from county juvenile courts.

Last edited:

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara

Ireland, Norway and Spain have officially recognised Palestine as a separate state, prompting Israel to recall its ambassadors from two of the European states.

Speaking on Wednesday, Irish Prime Minister Simon Harris said: "Today Ireland, Norway and Spain are announcing that we recognise the state of Palestine, each of us will undertake whatever national steps are necessary to give effect to that decision.

"I am confident that further countries will join us in taking this important step in the coming weeks."

After the announcement, Israel's foreign minister ordered the country's ambassadors from Ireland and Norway to immediately return home.

Posting on X, Israel Katz said: "Today's decision sends a message to the Palestinians and the world: Terrorism pays."

Is this headed towards a sovereign Palestinian nation-state?
Hopefully.

Alien826

No religious beliefs
Sadly, it seems that terrorism does indeed, pay.

It certainly did to get the state of Israel started.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion

In effect there is no one whole world. So there can't be just one answer for the whole as there is no whole.