• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Iran's headscarf crackdown: blame Islam ?

ronki23

If girls in Iran are getting beaten, arrested and killed by security forces, is it the fault of Islam ? Does this mean Islam will decline with time as more and more Iranians rise up against the regime ?

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
If girls in Iran are getting beaten, arrested and killed by security forces, is it the fault of Islam ? Does this mean Islam will decline with time as more and more Iranians rise up against the regime ?

I can never understand how any regime can prey upon their own people like that - and over a headscarf. Maybe if they'd just accept some moderate reforms and allowed for some freedoms, perhaps the West might be able to work with them better. But the Iranians might believe that it's the West which is the cause of all their troubles, so they may entrench themselves even further.

I don't see how it could be the fault of Islam, per se, although it seems more a human frailty where people take a belief too far and use it as an excuse to crush any kind of resistance they encounter. It seems more political than religious - although sometimes it's hard to tell the difference.

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady
Religious leaders seem to be more conservative than the general public. I don't know why. Many twist scriptures to suit their mindset. Ugh.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
It is indeed Islam's fault. As the link in the preceding
post shows, the basis for hiding/separating women
is set. Extreme interpretations are bound to happen.

But I don't know if this will lead to Islam's decline.
After all...many people have long loved authoritarian
religions that offer the promise of paradise, meaning,
& strict prescriptions/proscriptions.

ronki23

I thought they do not allow women to show their hair or even faces?

Miss Saudi Arabia

Miss Iran

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Because LGBTQ people are facing more and more discrimination and even violence, is it the fault of Christianity? Does this mean Christianity will decline with time as more and more people rise up against this discrimination?

ronki23

Because LGBTQ people are facing more and more discrimination and even violence, is it the fault of Christianity? Does this mean Christianity will decline with time as more and more people rise up against this discrimination?

There are far more women than LGBT people.

ronki23

That you believe that to be a coherent response is astonishing.

Firstly, the number of LGBT people vs the number of women is important because there were not enough LGBT people at the time of the religion's establishment: it was seen as weird and abnormal because the minority were of it. Women are required for birthing

Secondly, there is a hypothetical chance that LGBT rights could be the downfall of Christianity or Islam.

danieldemol

Premium Member
If girls in Iran are getting beaten, arrested and killed by security forces, is it the fault of Islam ?
It is the fault of those versions of Islam which insist religious ideas can't be criticized in my view because then a person or group of people can come up with any bad idea, call it religious and it becomes impossible to oppose it without bloodshed occurring. The headscarf issue being a classic example in my opinion.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Islam produces these people. Call it it's fruit.

Muffled

Jesus in me
I believe it is a sign of the sin of pride. When a belief becomes so important that morality can be cast aside it is pride in the belief that is at fault. And God hates it.

Muffled

Jesus in me
It is indeed Islam's fault. As the link in the preceding
post shows, the basis for hiding/separating women
is set. Extreme interpretations are bound to happen.

But I don't know if this will lead to Islam's decline.
After all...many people have long loved authoritarian
religions that offer the promise of paradise, meaning,
& strict prescriptions/proscriptions.
I believe it is never good for a religion to have bad PR.

Muffled

Jesus in me
I do not believe Christians are the ones who discriminate or violate. We only get bad press for calling it sin. That is because that community has the support of the liberal press and Christianity does not. Christianity will survive the apostates and true believers are not so easily deceived.