• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Iranian man sentenced to mutilation and amputation for stealing food.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
BBC News - Iranian chocolate thief faces hand amputation

More Shariah law in action.

Are these the kinds of people we want to be living with?
Should we be judged as harshly by the travesties committed in our justice system?
For some, there is a de facto sentence to being raped & otherwise assaulted.
For others, there is no prosecution whatsoever for major crimes. I won't trumpet
the superiority of western justice.

Rainbow Mage

Lib Democrat/Agnostic/Epicurean-ish/Buddhist-ish
Rarrr! Those evil Muslims! How dare ALL Muslims do that! All Muslims are responsible for this! There Ordeet. Is that the response you wanted? :)

Should we be judged as harshly by the travesties committed in our justice system?
For some, there is a de facto sentence to being raped & otherwise assaulted.
For others, there is no prosecution whatsoever for major crimes. I won't trumpet
the superiority of western justice.

While the Western justice system has many problems I have yet to see our societies order body mutilation as justice, so I feel we can still judge barbarity as barbarity. Iran is a backwards mess of a nation right now anyway.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
In a pastoral society without jails or methods of monitoring transgressors, hurting or harming criminals is the only option.

Translating a Bedouin justice system to a modern society, however, makes no sense.

Twig pentagram

High Priest
Rarrr! Those evil Muslims! How dare ALL Muslims do that! All Muslims are responsible for this! There Ordeet. Is that the response you wanted? :)
I'm tired of hearing this excuse. If only a small percentage of muslims are acting like this then why are'nt the majority of the so called peace loving and kind muslims doing anything about it? If our goverment was doing things like that in this day and time here in the U.S.A all **** would break loose. Why is'nt the samething happening in Iran?

If our goverment was doing things like that in this day and time here in the U.S.A all **** would break loose. Why is'nt the samething happening in Iran?

Perhaps you missed all those revolts involving their recent "election"? It's a police state theocracy masquerading as a democracy. They've tried protesting. Barring violent revolution I doubt the Iranians are going to gain what they wish.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
While the Western justice system has many problems I have yet to see our societies order body mutilation as justice, so I feel we can still judge barbarity as barbarity. Iran is a backwards mess of a nation right now anyway.
When mutilation is an expected consequence of imprisonment in some places, the lack of stated intent is no excuse for such barbarism.
Perhaps Iran is no more barbarous than the west, but they're more honest about their intentions. In the US, we have chemical castration,
which is a pretty icky notion, even if it's a bloodless procedure. I still prefer western justice...I just won't claim we're better.

Ordeet

Who are the ones paying taxes, fighting in the Islamic armies, voting for Islamic leaders and so on? The people are never exempt unless they are actively doing something to defeat their barbaric governments, since complicity in effect means you are a supporter of whatever fascistic means are going on?

You think that the Germans were actually innocent as millions of Jews were being sent to the gas chambers? No - they wanted to believe that propaganda and actively supported it.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
What's icky about taking drugs to reduce sexual drive, Revoltingest? We take drugs all the time to suppress or stimulate all sorts of things.