• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Iran threatens to destroy the tombs of Esther and Mordechai

Cooky

Veteran Member
Well, then it would be sensible for the US to keep its mouth shut, wouldn't it?

Because that's more important than protecting an international, globally recognized site, for millions of people around the world?

Focusing on the hypocrisy of the U.S. is so important, it takes precedence over an international, and global tragedy?

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Really..? Then what exactly does this site have to do with the U.S., exclusively, above other countries?
Nobody said exclusively.
That's your USA spin. If something doesn't matter exclusively to the Basket of Deplorables then :shrug:.
Why should anybody care?
Tom

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Yeah, let's not make this about Iran. Let's make it about how awful the United States is. :rolleyes:
It's a relevant issue to consider who is criticizing whom.
Ameristan rails against something it regularly does,
bringing into question our sincerity, ie, the legitimacy
of our criticism. Loss of some sites important to
Christians seems similar to Amerindian losses.

Cooky

Veteran Member
You're telling me that Trump didn't make this threat?
Tom

To Iran.

Iran wants to destroy something that matters to people around the world, and then blame it on Trump. And you're mad at Trump because of what Iran says..? That's illogical. Trump cannot make Iran say and do stupid things, that's their choice.

Cooky

Veteran Member
It's a relevant issue to consider who is criticizing whom.
Ameristan rails against something it regularly does,
bringing into question our sincerity, ie, the legitimacy
of our criticism. Loss of some sites important to
Christians seems similar to Amerindian losses.

You Ameristanians think you own the whole world, even Christianity.

Cooky

Veteran Member
Since the USA forces their involvement in the issue and region, yeah the hypocrisy matters to those of us who live here.
Tom

And since Christianity belongs to the United States, then we had it coming for our American sins. :rolleyes:

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
To Iran.

Iran wants to destroy something that matters to people around the world, and then blame it on Trump. And you're mad at Trump because of what Iran says..? That's illogical. Trump cannot make Iran say and do stupid things, that's their choice.
No!
I'm talking about Trump's threat to destroy ancient artifacts.

Do you even know that happened?
Tom

Heyo

Veteran Member
I give up. Iran is good and should destroy biblical sights of Christians around the globe. And the U.S. should never speak out of place to it's Father Iran.
Nope. There are no good actors in this game and sacred and historical sites should be respected and guarded.
But the US is not an entity to point that out. At least not before they have shown that they really care. (Trump admitting that he was wrong in threatening to destroy sacred sites in Iran and convincingly explained that he learned why.)
But hypocritically pointing the finger is contra productive for the cause. Let better faith actors do that.

Cooky

Veteran Member
You have to understand... I'm a Catholic. I just live in the United States, so speaking as a member of the global Catholic community, I am appalled that Iran would hold my Church accountable for the mistakes of the United States and it's leader.

Cooky

Veteran Member
:facepalm:

Not my sins dude.
Those are y'alls sins.

I just live here.
Blame God.

Tom

I'm a Catholic above American. My Church is offended by Iran's ignorant threats to my people, the Catholics, who have done nothing against Iran.

Cooky

Veteran Member
What has the Russian Orthodox church done to Iran, to deserve this? What about the Greeks, the Italians, the French..?

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
I'm a Catholic above American. My Church is offended by Iran's ignorant threats.
Did Pope Francis say that?
Did he single out Iran's threats?

Do you remember when the Pope declared the Bush invasion of Iraq a "crime against humanity"?

Do you consider Laudato Si as important as Humana Vitae? Lots of conservative Catholics don't.

Do you think Trump running over other people's revered stuff as important as Iran doing it?

Tom

Cooky

Veteran Member
Nope. There are no good actors in this game and sacred and historical sites should be respected and guarded.
But the US is not an entity to point that out. At least not before they have shown that they really care. (Trump admitting that he was wrong in threatening to destroy sacred sites in Iran and convincingly explained that he learned why.)
But hypocritically pointing the finger is contra productive for the cause. Let better faith actors do that.

I hold a unique place as being both an American and a member of the universal Catholic Church. In one sense, I am banned from commenting, on the other, I feel obligated.

...I guess that places me in a peculiar position. One different than yours.

Last edited by a moderator: