• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Iran threatens to destroy the tombs of Esther and Mordechai

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I'm a Catholic above American. My Church is offended by Iran's ignorant threats to my people, the Catholics, who have done nothing against Iran.
What was the Church's response to our proxy war on
Iran....the one wherein we supplied WMDs to Iraq, &
many hundreds of thousands of Iranians died?
While I'm much less concerned with such modern
archeological sites, it is their country. If they choose
to destroy something within it, they have that right.

Cooky

Veteran Member
What was the Church's response to our proxy war on
Iran....the one wherein we supplied WMDs to Iraq, &
many hundreds of thousands of Iranians died?

The Church was against it, just like it would be against Iran's comments now in the OP.

So I feel like I should be allowed to speak against this as a member of the Church, and not an American in this instance.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
The Church was against it, just like it would be against Iran's comments now in the OP.

So I feel like I should be allowed to speak against this as a member of the Church, and not an American in this instance.
I don't know what restrictions you feel.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
It's only the latest of these acts but I guess you have excuses for every one of the historical desecration acts and threats of desecration.

America Has Never Cared About Sacred Sites
It depends if the remains are actually indigenous people. I'd actually side on favor of the nation if it could be proven forthright.

It would also be noteworthy to be aware that a lot of wars have been fought down there. I would say its best left to the archaeologists and the nation's leaders to best determine where and whom the desecration lay.

Personally, I don't think it would do great amount of harm to detour around such sites out of the sake of respect for the established treaties and the ancestry that may lay there. Let it be known however that illegals will never respect any site they cross, in light that this in particular, is a geographical point of contention.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Is there forthright proof that Esther and Mordecai have anything to do with the sites?

There's a place in India where Jesus is claimed to be buried.
Tom
I don't think there is. But when it comes to religious it probably won't matter given the significance attributed to such sites.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn

I'm opposed to the destruction of any historical sites. I'm just conservative that way.

But I have little influence over the government of Iran. Neither do you.

So how about we talk about the USA threats to destroy ancient religious sites? Like the ones Trump made?
Tom

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
What you're not getting is that Iran threatening to destroy something that peoples *around-the -globe* hold dear, not the United States.

...The site literally has nothing to do with the United States.

The sad thing is that the world has been made aware of this for many a year.

These types of actions are nothing new.

God's plan works in mysterious ways as I see God's makes that plan, knowing what men think and the path they will walk.

Regards Tony

Heyo

Veteran Member
I hold a unique place as being both an American and a member of the universal Catholic Church. In one sense, I am banned from commenting, on the other, I feel obligated.

...I guess that places me in a peculiar position. One different than yours.
Yep. Serving two masters ... (Matthew 6:24) (Yes, I know it is hypocritical for me to cite the bible :) )

I guess we can come to some agreements:
1. Sacred and historical sites should not be subject to attack or threat of attack in any conflict.
2. The pope, having condemned the threats of Trump, has a better position and higher chance to convince Iran to cancel their plan and threats. (As does the UN.)
3. The US should leave that case in more competent hands.

Cooky

Veteran Member
I'm opposed to the destruction of any historical sites. I'm just conservative that way.

But I have little influence over the government of Iran. Neither do you.

So how about we talk about the USA threats to destroy ancient religious sites? Like the ones Trump made?
Tom

Maybe some Muslims would like to join you in that conversation.

Heyo

Veteran Member
It depends if the remains are actually indigenous people. I'd actually side on favor of the nation if it could be proven forthright.
Bad argument for stopping Iran from destroying an alleged burial site of biblical people.
It would also be noteworthy to be aware that a lot of wars have been fought down there. I would say its best left to the archaeologists and the nation's leaders to best determine where and whom the desecration lay.
Yep.
Personally, I don't think it would do great amount of harm to detour around such sites out of the sake of respect for the established treaties and the ancestry that may lay there.
Agree.

Last edited:

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
You know what's one of the things I dislike about Abrahamic religionists?

It's their tendency to get all attached to stuff humans make. Like churches and tombs and statues.

But the stuff God makes, like
images.jpeg
s-l400.jpg

That's mostly just in the way of progress.
Tom

Cooky

Veteran Member
Due to the topic of the thread, here's a little background information on the story of Esther and Mordecai.

...The allegory outlined at the end, is truly brilliant.

9:13