• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Iran Nuclear Agreement

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Mixed feelings, but my initial impulse is that I would likely vote for it if I could. I don't see any serious alternatives that would likely be workable.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
Mixed feelings, but my initial impulse is that I would likely vote for it if I could. I don't see any serious alternatives that would likely be workable.
Nevertheless, when Netanyahu, Lapid, and Herzog find themselves in general agreement about an existential threat to Israel, there is cause for alarm. The underlying problem is that there is no comparable P5+1 coalition against Iranian militarism and state sponsored terrorism.

metis

Nevertheless, when Netanyahu, Lapid, and Herzog find themselves in general agreement about an existential threat to Israel, there is cause for alarm. The underlying problem is that there is no comparable P5+1 coalition against Iranian militarism and state sponsored terrorism.
There definitely is a threat, but the only thing that this agreement was dealing with was the nuclear threat if Iran developed nukes. It certainly is no cure-all, that's for sure, nor do I trust the Iranian leadership. However, there really is no workable alternative, and even Bibi hasn't proposed anything other than trying to stop the deal. If the U.S. unilaterally turns this down, there are some serious repercussions in regards to both where that leaves us vis-a-vis our allies, China, and Russia.

Jake1001

Computer Simulator
There definitely is a threat, but the only thing that this agreement was dealing with was the nuclear threat if Iran developed nukes. It certainly is no cure-all, that's for sure, nor do I trust the Iranian leadership. However, there really is no workable alternative, and even Bibi hasn't proposed anything other than trying to stop the deal. If the U.S. unilaterally turns this down, there are some serious repercussions in regards to both where that leaves us vis-a-vis our allies, China, and Russia.
I agree, this is actually a great opportunity for Israel. They can now negotiate a large economic package with the US, including defense commitments, support in the West Bank, Golan and Gaza.

Actually, the Congress does not have to approve. This is a done deal.

One potential downside, I read that these discussions have led to an opening between Iran and China.

Last edited:

Akivah

I don't see a way of stopping Iran. Obama favors the Arabs and Iran wants a nuclear weapon. Iran has no political reason to avoid getting a bomb and lots of reasons to get one. Next we'll see how many other Arab nations get them. Perhaps following history, Iran will bomb Saudi Arabia in preference to Israel.

metis

I agree, this is actually a great opportunity for Israel. They can now negotiate a large economic package with the US, including defense commitments, support in the West Bank, Golan and Gaza.

Actually, the Congress does not have to approve. This is a done deal.

One potential downside, I read that these discussions have led to an opening between Iran and China.
There was likely going to be an agreement between Iran and China anyway sooner or later because China wants Iran's oil and Iran wants China's products and financing. It was actually rather surprising that the Obama administration was able to convince both China and Russia to go along with the sanctions on Iran to begin with.

metis

I don't see a way of stopping Iran. Obama favors the Arabs and Iran wants a nuclear weapon. Iran has no political reason to avoid getting a bomb and lots of reasons to get one. Next we'll see how many other Arab nations get them. Perhaps following history, Iran will bomb Saudi Arabia in preference to Israel.
According to Shimon Peres, this administration has supplied more military aid to Israel than any other previous president. Obviously there some bad blood between Bibi and Obama, and to a large extent this is both understandable and not that unusual. Former Secretary of State under G.H.W. Bush refused to connect Bush with Bibi when the latter called because he was such a nuisance.

Jake1001

Computer Simulator
According to Shimon Peres, this administration has supplied more military aid to Israel than any other previous president. Obviously there some bad blood between Bibi and Obama, and to a large extent this is both understandable and not that unusual. Former Secretary of State under G.H.W. Bush refused to connect Bush with Bibi when the latter called because he was such a nuisance.
Good points. I think Bibi is protesting loudly, publically, in order to strengthen his negotiating position. I think it will work well for Israel.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
I think Bibi is protesting loudly, publically, in order to strengthen his negotiating position. I think it will work well for Israel.
My problem with this is 2-fold:
  1. It demonstrates a remarkable ignorance of Bibi's perpetual characterization of Iran as the great Satan and of himself as Israel's necessary protector.
  2. It offers up the rather distasteful, antisemitic caricature of the clever yet callous Jew maneuvering for a better deal.