• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ir/Religious Snobbery

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
There's still something wonderful about going to a library and reading something that dosent require a connection or batteries.
Sure. I've spent many a day at a library from when I was basically a baby until adulthood. I haven't been to a library in a few years, and it's been about 5 since I've checked anything out. E-readers really open up a whole new world.

Last edited:

Clizby Wampuscat

In my time on the forums, I've seen quite a bit of it.

It doesn't seem unique to any one religious(or irreligious group), but can potentially come from any: Folks that think they, and those who believe like them, are superior to those who don't.

Sometimes its very specific, and folks snub anyone who doesn't belong to their religion(or lack of religion). For others, its more general. They may approve of others that have a similar view(like Abrahamics being okay with other Abrahamics, but less accepting of those outside of that frame of reference), or may only snub certain religions(for example, being okay with Buddhists, but finding Pagans obnoxious).

Do you feel your beliefs(or lack of beliefs) make you superior to those who see things differently? Everyone, or just certain ones? Why or why not?
I don't feel superior but there are superior ways to find the truth over others. I think science is a better method to determine truth over faith for example.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Since ancient times, books have been the bedrock of civilisation.
I fear for the future of a culture where books are no longer read. Googling stuff doesn’t count, in my book.
I love books, but, truthfully, we went the majority of our species' existence without them. They were for the privileged elite for most of their existence. We still had societies, cultures and decent technology. We just passed down knowledge, culture, poetry, religion and philosophy orally, and became quite skilled at reciting it through thousands of years. I would be surprised if we ever became majority illiterate, though.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
Sure. I've spent many a day at a library from when I was basically a baby until adulthood. I've haven't been to a library in a few years, and it's been about 5 since I've checked anything out. E-readers really open up a whole new world.

I can't emphasize enough just how helpful ebooks have been in my situation. There are many books I wouldn't be able to find or obtain in physical form where I live, but ebooks solve this problem. I also don't have much storage space available at my place, so being able to store hundreds or even thousands of books on one device if I wanted is a huge boon.

Bear Wild

I don't feel superior but there are superior ways to find the truth over others. I think science is a better method to determine truth over faith for example.
It really depends on what kind of truth you are looking for. Science is good at generating factual knowledge and truth but inadequate for experiential knowledge and truth. The truth of ones personal relationship to the world and how you participate in that relationship is not well explained by science.

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.

It doesn't seem unique to any one religious(or irreligious group), but can potentially come from any: Folks that think they, and those who believe like them, are superior to those who don't.

Sometimes its very specific, and folks snub anyone who doesn't belong to their religion(or lack of religion). For others, its more general. They may approve of others that have a similar view(like Abrahamics being okay with other Abrahamics, but less accepting of those outside of that frame of reference), or may only snub certain religions(for example, being okay with Buddhists, but finding Pagans obnoxious).

Do you feel your beliefs(or lack of beliefs) make you superior to those who see things differently? Everyone, or just certain ones? Why or why not?
I don't feel I'm better than anyone. Indeed, I always have a red flag up in the back of my mind that I may be mistaken. Thus, I think it is a very very good idea to treat the beliefs of others with respect, even if I disagree.

It never ceases to amaze me the number of people in these online forums who view themselves as infallible, or who equate what is essentially their own interpretations with God. The old "Your argument is with not with me, but with God" just turns my stomach with its presumption.

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member

Tribalism is part of human nature with a tendency towards an "us and them" mentality. Part of growing up is learning to rise about such attitudes and view ourselves as one people.

Indigenous religions with gods and God are the starting point of humanities religious experience. That's just a fact.

There's certainly been some bad blood between Jews, Christians and Muslims and their pagan brethren. There are well documented instances of conflict throughout history but also the Holy book of the Jews and Muslims, the Tanakh and Quran. So I understand the tension between Abrahamics and Pagans. At some point we all need to move on.

Do Baha'is contribute to these tensions and misunderstandings? Of course. We're just ordinary people like everyone else. I'd like to thing the teachings of our faith encourage a more enlightened attitude.

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Those who ignore proofs are not the same as those who sought them and recognized the truth through proofs from God. The light is not the same as the darkness, nor those who guard are alike to those who are the cause of corruption, havoc, and evil on earth.

The souls that strove for God till they saw God and his chosen with vision of certainty, are not alike to those who sought the petty world and followed their caprice.

The lovers of God and those who cling to his chosen guides, cannot be like the enviers to God's chosen guides and the rebellious to God.

Night and day, sky and earth, world's apart.

The soul that purified itself from everything but God cannot be like those who equate the petty world and their caprice with God.

Those who took for guidance devils from humans and Jinn are to be condemned while those who sought their water from the pure sources that God has sent, are to be praised and rewarded.

There is a party in hell, and there is a party in paradise.

Last edited: