• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Investigating Bahaullah's Book of Iqan

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I agree that the original historical accounts of life of Bahaullah for the most part are in Iranian Language. With some exceptions of the books that E.G. Brown had written on the history of early Babi and Bahais. However, those original historical accounts of life of Bahaullah also for the most part are already translated into English. Now, specially if we are limiting our investigation to evidences of Bahaullah's education and human learnings, the matter from my experience does not require an extensive investigation in all subjects.
Specially, even those who tried to refute Bahaullah's claim, have provided translations of anything that possibly they thought they could use to refute Bahaullah.

Sure, but how much all these are required also depends on the time of events. For example if we want to know about the life of a Person who lived 2000 years ago, constructing history and writing it up, would be much more difficult than, if we are investigating into life of a person who lived 150 years ago, and specially when we are only now in this thread interested in how much Bahaullah had education or learning.
This can go on and on....Let's cut to the chase...
Do you have credible scholars of history who have written reasonably well acclaimed life of Bahaiullah (like historians have done for Churchill or Gandhi)? If yes, share the link. If not, I am not interested as I cannot verify or refute the sources and their authenticity/accuracy myself.

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
This can go on and on....Let's cut to the chase...
Do you have credible scholars of history who have written reasonably well acclaimed life of Bahaiullah (like historians have done for Churchill or Gandhi)? If yes, share the link. If not, I am not interested as I cannot verify or refute the sources and their authenticity/accuracy myself.

Hope this helps.

Bahá'í studies - Wikipedia

One of the best scholarly works I know about Baha'u'llah Himself is by H M Balyuzi.

Balyuzi, Hasan M.

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
Thank you. There does appear to be very few (none?) works by historians on Bahaiuulah it appears.

In regards to H M Balyuzi, he was certainly a capable academic and scholar.

After completing his studies at American University, he went to the London School of Economics for post-graduate work. He studied Diplomatic History, with special references to the relations of the European Powers to the Persian Gulf States. He received his Master of Science degree in 1935; he then studied British Public Opinion on Franco-German Relations after World War I for his doctorate, but was delayed by the difficulty of finding a suitable supervisor and the outbreak of World War II.

Balyuzi, Hasan M.

Was he regarded as an internationally recognised and acclaimed historian? Probably not.

One of the few Westerners to meet Baha'u'llah was an accomplished scholar and historian Edward Granville Browne.

Edward Granville Browne - Wikipedia

Edward Granville Browne: The Only European Historian Who Met Baha'u'llah - Baha'i Blog

His account of Baha'u'llah:

Bahá'í Reference Library - Bahá’u’lláh and the New Era, Pages 38-40

Here's a brief journal article about Edward Browne by Dr John Danesh

Moojan Momen (ed.). Selections from the Writings of E. G. Browne on the Bábí and Báhá'í Religions, Pp. 499. (Oxford; George Ronald, 1987). £9.95. | Religious Studies | Cambridge Core

John Danesh taught me about the Baha'i Faith many years ago. He was the most successful student in my medical schools 150 years history, gained a Rhodes scholarship and went onto to study at Cambridge University, England

Professor John Danesh - Department of Public Health and Primary Care

Were any of these people the kinds of internationally recognised and distinguished historians that would tick all the boxes for you? Probably not, but for me they are all outstanding and exceptional people regardless.

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Thank you. There does appear to be very few (none?) works by historians on Bahaiuulah it appears.

I saw a few documents, I see these few works will be used in the future as sources.

I also think that when Iran is opened up a lot more material will come to light. I aslo hope there are many more documents by the Bab and Baha'u'llah hidden away for when that time comes.

Regards Tony

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
Right OK! And the self-sacrificing spirit of the Manifestations and is certainly an important message in the opening part of the Iqan. I can see that - but it is very different from this...

The sacrifice and suffering of the Manifestations of God as a consequence of those who reject them is certainly a major theme in the beginning of the Kitab-i-Iqan.

Ponder for a moment, and reflect upon that which hath been the cause of such denial on the part of those who have searched with such earnestness and longing. Their attack hath been more fierce than tongue or pen can describe. Not one single Manifestation of Holiness hath appeared but He was afflicted by the denials, the repudiation, and the vehement opposition of the people around Him. Thus it hath been revealed: “O the misery of men! No Messenger cometh unto them but they laugh Him to scorn.”1 Again He saith: “Each nation hath plotted darkly against their Messenger to lay violent hold on Him, and disputed with vain words to invalidate the truth.”

Should you acquaint yourself with the indignities heaped upon the Prophets of God, and apprehend the true causes of the objections voiced by their oppressors, you will surely appreciate the significance of their position. Moreover, the more closely you observe the denials of those who have opposed the Manifestations of the divine attributes, the firmer will be your faith in the Cause of God. Accordingly, a brief mention will be made in this Tablet of divers accounts relative to the Prophets of God, that they may demonstrate the truth that throughout all ages and centuries the Manifestations of power and glory have been subjected to such heinous cruelties that no pen dare describe them. Perchance this may enable a few to cease to be perturbed by the clamor and protestations of the divines and the foolish of this age, and cause them to strengthen their confidence and certainty.

The Kitáb-i-Íqán | Bahá’í Reference Library

...this - propitiatory, substitutionary, one sacrifice for the sins of all men forever is very clearly detailed in scripture - and not just Paul's letters as my earlier references show - and very clearly absent from the Iqan.

So one can argue that the Bible was wrong and the correct view is the Baha'i one - or possibly even that the Bible teaching is meant to be understood allegorically - Jesus' sacrifice - in this case - standing as a metaphor for all the suffering of all the Manifestations through the ages. But as far as I am aware, there are no such arguments in the Iqan (correct me if I am wrong). So that clearly important and clearly scriptural teaching is just not there. And how can one then claim that the Iqan contains "all scripture". It just doesn't. Does it?

I think you are well on the road to answering this question. A narrative is created two thousand years ago in regards Christ that resonated for the Jewish and Greek audience at the time. Of course there was a rich tapestry of allegory and symbolism beneath the story of the suffering of Jesus and that is exactly the point Baha'u'llah makes.

Inasmuch as the Christian divines have failed to apprehend the meaning of these words, and did not recognize their object and purpose, and have clung to the literal interpretation of the words of Jesus, they therefore became deprived of the streaming grace of the Muḥammadan Revelation and its showering bounties. The ignorant among the Christian community, following the example of the leaders of their faith, were likewise prevented from beholding the beauty of the King of glory, inasmuch as those signs which were to accompany the dawn of the sun of the Muḥammadan Dispensation did not actually come to pass.

OK - so that then presumably means that Baha'u'llah did not intend his claim to be understood in such a literalistic fashion. Perhaps when he said it contains "all scripture" - he did not mean what your friend IT suggested in the OP at all.

Perhaps what he meant was, the key to understanding "all scripture" was contained in the Iqan.

And that's quite a different proposition. And a very different - and possibly even meaningful interfaith discussion.

As it stands, we have an OP with a baseless claim and then a succession of refusals to provide any evidence to support that claim...it kind of reminds me of those horse jumping events where the rider sets themselves up all straight and confident and rides proudly towards the first fence and then the horse just stops...and flatly refuses to jump...again, and again and again.

You need to raise those issues with IT. My concern is with the claims of Baha'u'llah. The Kitab-i-Iqan as you know was written before Baha'u'llah declared Himself as the Manifestation of God for this day and in response to questions from one of the Bab’s Uncles. Its central theme is to establish the underlying unity of religion and make sense of the divergent utteraces of their Founders. He provides ample examples from Abrahamic traditions and the recipient of this work became a Babi.

love that one - I would think the question is pretty well settled by now though, wouldn't you say?

We would not be having this conservation if the Manifestations of God had been unsuccessful in changing the character of mankind, you and I included.

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
In regards to H M Balyuzi, he was certainly a capable academic and scholar.

After completing his studies at American University, he went to the London School of Economics for post-graduate work. He studied Diplomatic History, with special references to the relations of the European Powers to the Persian Gulf States. He received his Master of Science degree in 1935; he then studied British Public Opinion on Franco-German Relations after World War I for his doctorate, but was delayed by the difficulty of finding a suitable supervisor and the outbreak of World War II.

Balyuzi, Hasan M.

Was he regarded as an internationally recognised and acclaimed historian? Probably not.

One of the few Westerners to meet Baha'u'llah was an accomplished scholar and historian Edward Granville Browne.

Edward Granville Browne - Wikipedia

Edward Granville Browne: The Only European Historian Who Met Baha'u'llah - Baha'i Blog

His account of Baha'u'llah:

Bahá'í Reference Library - Bahá’u’lláh and the New Era, Pages 38-40

Here's a brief journal article about Edward Browne by Dr John Danesh

Moojan Momen (ed.). Selections from the Writings of E. G. Browne on the Bábí and Báhá'í Religions, Pp. 499. (Oxford; George Ronald, 1987). £9.95. | Religious Studies | Cambridge Core

John Danesh taught me about the Baha'i Faith many years ago. He was the most successful student in my medical schools 150 years history, gained a Rhodes scholarship and went onto to study at Cambridge University, England

Professor John Danesh - Department of Public Health and Primary Care

Were any of these people the kinds of internationally recognised and distinguished historians that would tick all the boxes for you? Probably not, but for me they are all outstanding and exceptional people regardless.
I am not saying they wrote badly or anything. But, there is a lack of proper historical work on Bahaullah which may need addressing in the future.

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
I am not saying they wrote badly or anything. But, there is a lack of proper historical work on Bahaullah which may need addressing in the future.

Although very intested in history, I'm not an historian. The Baha'i Faith is a relatively young religion being established 175 years ago though if Shaykh Ahmad and Siyyid Kazim (Shaykh Ahmad - Wikipedia) are considered the movement goes back to the 18th century. Writing our history and scholarship is a work in progress and argubaly doesn't recieve the attention it deserves.

InvestigateTruth

OK - so that then presumably means that Baha'u'llah did not intend his claim to be understood in such a literalistic fashion. Perhaps when he said it contains "all scripture" - he did not mean what your friend IT suggested in the OP at all.

Perhaps what he meant was, the key to understanding "all scripture" was contained in the Iqan.

And that's quite a different proposition. And a very different - and possibly even meaningful interfaith discussion.
Well, these are some of things said about Book of Iqan, in the Bahai writings:

• the things We have already mentioned suffice the world and all that is therein. In fact, all the Scriptures, and the mysteries thereof are condensed into this brief account. So much so that were a person to ponder it a while in his heart, he would discover from all that hath been said the mysteries of the Words of God, and would apprehend the meaning of whatever hath been manifested by that ideal King. (Íqán237, emphasis added)
    Were you to ponder, but for a while, these utterances in your heart, you would surely find the portals of understanding unlocked before your face, and would behold all knowledge and mysteries thereof unveiled before your eyes. (ibid. 52, emphasis added, cf. 19)

This servant will now share with thee a dewdrop out of the fathomless ocean of the truths treasured in these holy words, that haply discerning hearts may comprehend all the allusions and the implications of the utterances of the Manifestations of Holiness, so that the overpowering majesty of the Word of God may not prevent them from attaining unto the ocean of His names and attributes, nor deprive them of recognising the Lamp of God which is the seat of the revelation of His glorified Essence. (ibid. 28, emphasis added)

Briefly, there hath been revealed in the Kitáb-i-Íqán (Book of Certitude) concerning the Presence and Revelation of God that which will suffice the fair-minded. (Epistle to the Son of the Wolf 119, cf. 97, 168)

As to thy question that in the Religion of Zoroaster it is stated: "This (Zoroastrianism) is superior and better than the religions of the past." By this is meant superiority relative to the past. These sanctified Beings in one station are all one. Their first is the last and Their last is the first. All have come from God; all have summoned mankind to God, and all have returned to Him. These matters are revealed in the Kitáb-i-Íqán, which is in truth the Lord of Books [Sayyid-i-Kutub], the Book that has flowed from the Pen of the Most High. Blessed is the one who hath seen it and been a witness to its testimony and hath pondered its contents for the love of God, the Lord of mankind. (Má'idiy-i-Ásmání 157, provisional translation, emphasis added)

As to thy question on 'resurrection', in the Kitáb-i-Íqán is revealed that which is all-sufficing. (Majmú'ih 166, provisional translation)

Peruse thou the Kitáb-i-Íqán (Book of Certitude) . . . that thou mayest be made aware of the things that have happened in the past, and be persuaded that We have not sought to spread disorder in the land after it had been well-ordered. (Epistle 97, and Tablets 210, emphasis added)

• In the Kitáb-i-Íqán He has given expositions of the meanings of the Gospel and other heavenly Books. ('Abdu'l-Bahá, Promulgation 155)
It (Iqan) is "Bahá'u'lláh's masterful exposition of the one unifying truth underlying all the Revelations of the past" (World Order 61-2), and can lead the reader to "obtain a clear insight into the old scriptures and appreciate the true mission of the Báb and Bahá'u'lláh".(14) In relation to the Báb's revelation, the Guardian states that "Nowhere but in the Kitáb-i-Íqán . . . can we obtain a clearer apprehension of the potency of those forces inherent in that Preliminary Manifestation . . ." (World Order 61-2). Shoghi Effendi emphasises the significance of the Íqán in the history of religions in the following way:

• Well may it be claimed that of all the books revealed by the Author of the Bahá'í Revelation, this Book alone, by sweeping away the age-long barriers that have so insurmountably separated the great religions of the world, has laid down a broad and unassailable foundation for the complete and permanent reconciliation of their followers. (God Passes By 139, emphasis added)

The Station of the Kitab-i-Iqan

Last edited:

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member

Great link, thank you had not seen that one.

This is very interesting;

"After the establishment of the throne of the Lord of mankind in the City 'Abode of Peace', in His most excellent [mustatáb] Kitáb-i-Íqán, He describes the future of the unbelievers(18) . . . (Shoghi Effendi, Má'idiy-i-Ásmání 163-4, provisional translation)

Jerusalem meaning is 'Abode of Peace' and the New Jerusalem is Biblical, I had not seen that quote before, but had considered that Akka/Haifa was the New Jerusalem.

So much we do not know, so much more we could.:)

Regards Tony

siti

Its central theme is to establish the underlying unity of religion and make sense of the divergent utteraces of their Founders. He provides ample examples from Abrahamic traditions...
Right - in fact, the vast majority of the examples are from the Qur'an, are they not? And Qur'anic themes are explored in some detail - but the rest...? Even such central Biblical themes as propitiatory atonement are essentially absent. Indeed, it is present only if one assumes that the self-sacrificial spirit of the other Manifestations is the allegorical intent of the Bible writers on this matter - which is not an easy idea to swallow - the Bible is very, very clear on this - one sacrifice for sins for ever...its simply not the same as the Baha'i understanding at all. There are probably many more examples...but anyway...

A narrative is created two thousand years ago in regards Christ that resonated for the Jewish and Greek audience at the time. Of course there was a rich tapestry of allegory and symbolism beneath the story of the suffering of Jesus and that is exactly the point Baha'u'llah makes...
OK - I'm not so sure that was what was intended by the Bible writers, but let's go with it for a minute...that being the case, how do you know that Baha'u'llah's own writing is not itself "a rich tapestry of allegory and symbolism"? In fact his writings are very definitely allegorical and symbolic in many respects aren't they? I'm guessing you don't take his references to the "Crimson Ark" and the "Divine Lote Tree" (for a couple of examples) as literal. So if the symbolism of ancient scriptural traditions had to be re-evaluated in the light of Baha'u'llah's more modern "revelation" as a call for global peace and harmony as the "age of empires" drew to its violent close, why can't we re-evaluate all of them again in a manner that would be more appropriate to the post-post-modern world of climate crisis and the global pandemic of unhealthy lifestyle - for example. How do we know that each of us is not, after all, a "divine lote tree" in and of ourselves if only we knew it - and knew how to BE it? How do we know that that is not really what Baha'u'llah meant?

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
OK - I'm not so sure that was what was intended by the Bible writers, but let's go with it for a minute...that being the case, how do you know that Baha'u'llah's own writing is not itself "a rich tapestry of allegory and symbolism"?

I see a lot is.

"At every moment he beholdeth a wondrous world, a new creation, and goeth from astonishment to astonishment, and is lost in awe at the works of the Lord of Oneness. Indeed, O Brother, if we ponder each created thing, we shall witness a myriad perfect wisdoms and learn a myriad new and wondrous truths" (Bahá’u’lláh, The Seven Valleys, p. 32)

Even in one word;

"..Bahá’u’lláh also gave in detail, in response to the questioner, several meanings pertaining to the word ’sun’, adding that this word has so many other meanings that if ten secretaries were to record His explanations for a period of one or two years, He would still not exhaust its significance." (Adib Taherzadeh, The Revelation of Bahá’u’lláh v 1, p. 29-33)

Regards Tony

siti

Were you to ponder, but for a while, these utterances in your heart, you would surely find the portals of understanding unlocked before your face, and would behold all knowledge and mysteries thereof unveiled before your eyes.
So it is the "key" to understanding the ancient scriptures then, not the entirety of the scriptures, that is contained in the Iqan.

So, following on from my comment in reply to Adrian above, what it really is is a re-interpretation of scriptural symbolism. So why can't Baha'u'llah's own highly symbolic message be re-interpreted in a way that is more appropriate to the early 21st century as opposed to the late 19th? Certainly there are grave concerns for humanity about which humans were largely unaware back then - global NCD pandemics, climate change...etc. Can we not reinterpret the whole lot again to focus on healthy lifestyles and ecological responsibility? The "temple" as the body and the earth as the "courtyard" of the temple, and the "footstool" of the divine...and all that?

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
So it is the "key" to understanding the ancient scriptures then, not the entirety of the scriptures, that is contained in the Iqan.

So, following on from my comment in reply to Adrian above, what it really is is a re-interpretation of scriptural symbolism. So why can't Baha'u'llah's own highly symbolic message be re-interpreted in a way that is more appropriate to the early 21st century as opposed to the late 19th? Certainly there are grave concerns for humanity about which humans were largely unaware back then - global NCD pandemics, climate change...etc. Can we not reinterpret the whole lot again to focus on healthy lifestyles and ecological responsibility? The "temple" as the body and the earth as the "courtyard" of the temple, and the "footstool" of the divine...and all that?

A lot can be thought of in this way, that is look for the symbolisim and metephor. The Message for this day is to find our Unity under One God. There are Laws for this dispensation that we can not change. That wisdom is for God to give and for us to obey.

A lot Baha'u'llah revealed, can not be appreciated and will not be understood until a later age. It will require humanity to first find true unity. Then our collective mind can unlock greater truth.

Regards Tony

siti

There are Laws for this dispensation that we can not change.
Says Baha'u'llah - and as far as this...

The Message for this day is to find our Unity under One God.
and this...

It will require humanity to first find true unity. Then our collective mind can unlock greater truth.
...are concerned, these "Laws" and the erroneous confusion of "uniformity" for "unity" are not helping humanity to find harmony at all. Why can we not be content to "sing in harmony" - must we be compelled to sing the exact same melody and the exact same words at the exact same time? And is it not because of this - a largely futile effort to get everyone to sing the same notes in unison - that we get threads like this one, that claim impossible correspondence between disparate faiths where nothing of the sort really exists?

I love the idea of finding correspondence between religious traditions - I guess there is, in that kind of syncretistic investigation, a means of filtering the ancient traditions and determining the common wisdom that pervades them all (perhaps). But the problem is, once you've done that, what you have are a set of common principles that are readily accessible to humans through careful thought and reason. What need then, of yet another divine revelator? Can't we all just be encouraged to read widely and adapt the ancient symbolism and poetry of past traditions as best fits our current human circumstances? And, in all fairness, isn't that precisely what Baha'u'llah seems to have done?

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
are concerned, these "Laws" and the erroneous confusion of "uniformity" for "unity" are not helping humanity to find harmony at all. Why can we not be content to "sing in harmony" - must we be compelled to sing the exact same melody and the exact same words at the exact same time?

To make music there are the notes and basic cords. We can use them to make a symphony.

We agree to the notes and basic cords to be able to make music.

Otherwise it is but a useless irritating noise.

Regards Tony

Last edited:

siti

Otherwise it is but a useless irritating noise.
But without harmony its just a monotonous and repetitious sequence of sounds.

My point is that there has to be some kind of middle ground between the indiscriminate but insistent clamour of a confused and disaffected humanity and the robotic monotones of religious restriction - that's my dream - an educated humanity singing sweet melodies each in his own tongue and register - not dutifully babbling perfunctory and outmoded incantations eulogizing sages who have long since passed off the scene.

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
My point is that there has to be some kind of middle ground between the indiscriminate but insistent clamour of a confused and disaffected humanity and the robotic monotones of religious restriction - that's my dream

I see that was the Message given by Baha'u'llah. To me no doubt at all. It is such a soul stirring symphony. Here is a song it inspired, a song calling all people to all Faith.

Regards Tony

siti

I see that was the Message given by Baha'u'llah. To me no doubt at all. It is such a soul stirring symphony. Here is a song it inspired, a song calling all people to all Faith.
Yes but I'm calling them to faith in their own power of reason, not to credulously follow some other human just because he said he was the messiah...or whatever. Its not the same thing at all. You seem to have missed the point of my rather simple illustration - so how do you know you haven't missed the point of Baha'u'llah's illustrations - which, by comparison, are quite profound and complex.

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
Right - in fact, the vast majority of the examples are from the Qur'an, are they not? And Qur'anic themes are explored in some detail - but the rest...? Even such central Biblical themes as propitiatory atonement are essentially absent. Indeed, it is present only if one assumes that the self-sacrificial spirit of the other Manifestations is the allegorical intent of the Bible writers on this matter - which is not an easy idea to swallow - the Bible is very, very clear on this - one sacrifice for sins for ever...its simply not the same as the Baha'i understanding at all. There are probably many more examples...but anyway...

Certainly the majority of examples are from the Quran, as would be expected for a work written to a Muslim trying to understand how his nephew could the Promised Qa'im. However the themes addressed are universal ones, and not specific to any particular religion. The work is particularly accesible to read from someone from a Christian background with little knowledge of the Quran, although clearly knowledge of Islam provides a much greater depth of understanding.

Propitiary atonement is one exegesis amidst others that has the problems of most likely being pagan inspired and making God appear tyranical. The Kitab-i-Iqan quite rightly provides no support for such a perspective. However there will be an abundance of passages emphasising how false theologies that were never intended by God became established. The warning is inherent within the Gospel with the parable of the tares and wheat.

So what appears clear and the only way to understand key biblical passages such as Romans 3:25 is in fact the traditions of men.

Baha'u'llah writes in the Kitab-i-Iqan:

In every age and century, the purpose of the Prophets of God and their chosen ones hath been no other but to affirm the spiritual significance of the terms “life,” “resurrection,” and “judgment.” If one will ponder but for a while this utterance of ‘Alí in his heart, one will surely discover all mysteries hidden in the terms “grave,” “tomb,” “ṣiraṭ,” “paradise” and “hell.” But oh! how strange and pitiful! Behold, all the people are imprisoned within the tomb of self, and lie buried beneath the nethermost depths of worldly desire! Wert thou to attain to but a dewdrop of the crystal waters of divine knowledge, thou wouldst readily realize that true life is not the life of the flesh but the life of the spirit. For the life of the flesh is common to both men and animals, whereas the life of the spirit is possessed only by the pure in heart who have quaffed from the ocean of faith and partaken of the fruit of certitude. This life knoweth no death, and this existence is crowned by immortality. Even as it hath been said: “He who is a true believer liveth both in this world and in the world to come.”

OK - I'm not so sure that was what was intended by the Bible writers, but let's go with it for a minute...that being the case, how do you know that Baha'u'llah's own writing is not itself "a rich tapestry of allegory and symbolism"? In fact his writings are very definitely allegorical and symbolic in many respects aren't they? I'm guessing you don't take his references to the "Crimson Ark" and the "Divine Lote Tree" (for a couple of examples) as literal. So if the symbolism of ancient scriptural traditions had to be re-evaluated in the light of Baha'u'llah's more modern "revelation" as a call for global peace and harmony as the "age of empires" drew to its violent close, why can't we re-evaluate all of them again in a manner that would be more appropriate to the post-post-modern world of climate crisis and the global pandemic of unhealthy lifestyle - for example. How do we know that each of us is not, after all, a "divine lote tree" in and of ourselves if only we knew it - and knew how to BE it? How do we know that that is not really what Baha'u'llah meant?

The unique feature of the Baha'i revelation is the Covenant that establishes both authoritative interpretation through Abdu'l-Baha and the Guardian as well as the capacity to resolves difficult problems through the Universal House of Justice. The legitimate appointment of successors to Moses, Christ, and Muhammad through Joshua, Peter and Ali and the provisions to define their scope of authority was insufficient to prevent divisions and schism. The authority of Baha'i succession and its role and functions is derived from the pen of Baha'u'llah Himself.