• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Introverted interaction

StarryNightshade

Spiritually confused Jew
Premium Member
I like it too, but I find it slightly off putting that it paints introverts (such as myself) as these super weird creatures who won't let anyone into their bubble unless they approach you. I think it's a little overgeneralized.

Still, it made some good points.

Kerr

I like it too, but I find it slightly off putting that it paints introverts (such as myself) as these super weird creatures who won't let anyone into their bubble unless they approach you. I think it's a little overgeneralized.

Still, it made some good points.
To be fair, its hard to do something like that without generalizing a little. Never the less its a good point that I didnt think of. Then again, I considered it only semi-serious, so I didnt give it much thought.

Anyway, it has some good points to keep in mind when dealing with someone who is a little introverted... especially if you happen to have Asberger and dont understand other people that well. Like me!

EDIT:

Happen to be both extroverted and introverted, so I find it hilarious because I can identify with both the introvert holding on to his energy, and the extrovert trying to get the introvert out of his ball. Then again, I am weird, lol.

Last edited:

Gjallarhorn

N'yog-Sothep
What about big mouth introvert?
tumblr_static_welcome_to_the_internet.jpg

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
I think I could write a better guide, honestly.

Rule #1: do not invite solid introverts to parties. Ever.
What you should do: invite solid introverts to a nice coffee/tea shop with a small group or one-on-one.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
I think I could write a better guide, honestly.

Rule #1: do not invite solid introverts to parties. Ever.
What you should do: invite solid introverts to a nice coffee/tea shop with a small group or one-on-one.

And then spring a surprise party, right??!!

;)

I find these things interesting, since I've definitely moved a lot from introvert (more socially awkward and shy than completely avoiding of social situations) to an extrovert, though certain situations definitely bring out my introverted side. Like Karaoke. Ugh. Dancing. But I'm reasonably loud, like meeting new people, and confident.

Question to those here who are introverted. If you have a complete choice of where to put yourself on a 1-10 scale, with 1 as completely introverted to the point that anything more than a one-on-one situation with familiar people brings on hives, and a 10 being someone driving a party bus and picking up random strangers for a night of partying, singing, and speaking in front of large groups of strangers (sure, it's a weird hypothetical, but you get the idea), where would you be on the continuum.

So, not where are you now, but where would you ideally be?

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
And then spring a surprise party, right??!!

;)

Oh, dear gods. That's just mean. Then I'd have to come up with some stupid, socially acceptable excuse to leave as quickly as possible. Of course some days, I just don't give a whip about socially acceptable and will just do things.

Introversion doesn't really mean shy and socially awkward, though. It's more an aspect of how much you pay attention to your environment - and thus how much your environment stimulates you or how quickly it overloads you. Paying more attention than other people also means you tend to have an eye for detail, are more contemplative and reflective, and don't take unnecessary risks.

As for your question, I am absolutely not one of those introverts who has been shamed by our culture if extroversion into wanting to be an extrovert. I'm quite happy with who I am. And so too should the rest of us be.

A book recommendation for everybody: go read Susan Cain's "Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World that can't Stop Talking." (amazon.com link) This book explained so much of my life it wasn't even funny. And it also made me kind of angry that my culture puts extroversion on a pedestal. I'm done capitulating to that (not that I ever did much to begin with).

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Oh, dear gods. That's just mean. Then I'd have to come up with some stupid, socially acceptable excuse to leave as quickly as possible. Of course some days, I just don't give a whip about socially acceptable and will just do things.

My sense of humour has been known to be a little on the mean side on occasion, but only with people I know well. Well, mostly with people I know well.

Introversion doesn't really mean shy and socially awkward, though. It's more an aspect of how much you pay attention to your environment - and thus how much your environment stimulates you or how quickly it overloads you. Paying more attention than other people also means you tend to have an eye for detail, are more contemplative and reflective, and don't take unnecessary risks.

Yeah, I explained badly. What I meant was that I suspect when I was introverted (based on testing, etc) I probably wasn't as introverted as people might have thought, since I was more just shy and socially awkward. Equally, I suspect I'm not as extroverted as some might think me now, since they are basing that around me being comfortable in front of an audience, and talkative, etc. My natural state is still pretty contemplative when given opportunity, and my wife constantly complains about how I think things though to within an inch of their life. But I've definitely shifted more towards extroversion, for various reasons.

As for your question, I am absolutely not one of those introverts who has been shamed by our culture if extroversion into wanting to be an extrovert. I'm quite happy with who I am. And so too should the rest of us be.

That's part of my question, yes.
My industry is a weird one. Business systems. You have programmers who basically want to only talk to each other, and only about tech topics, and sales guys who will talk the leg off an armchair at a moments notice, regardless of whether they have something to say. I commonly (as in daily) work with Sri Lankans and Swedes (not locals, but people who have recently arrived) and see the different cultural expressions of introversion and extroversion, and what different people value.

And I've kinda aimed myself to move from (maybe) a 4 to about a 6 on my little scale. From a professional point of view this has helped a lot (I run my own business now, so have to get out of my comfort zone a lot) but it's obviously a LONG term process, and part of it involves faking it for long enough that it begins being reality.

Personally, I would in no way see a 6 as better than a 4. Just slightly different. But equally, I wouldn't see a 4 as better than a 6. I do, however, think it's a little easier to travel through life as a 6.

(Ugh...that's a lot of numbers in one paragraph given that those numbers have no real meaning, but I'm hoping that makes some sense)

A book recommendation for everybody: go read Susan Cain's "Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World that can't Stop Talking." (amazon.com link) This book explained so much of my life it wasn't even funny. And it also made me kind of angry that my culture puts extroversion on a pedestal. I'm done capitulating to that (not that I ever did much to begin with).

I suspect it comes down to being true to yourself, for the most part. If your introversion is a product of social awkwardness and being unable to force yourself to do something that you want to, then it's a problem. If you have a quiet, reflective nature, and the world is something you look to understand and think about as you travel through life, then more power to you.
(By you, I mean 'whomever', not you specifically, Quint...)

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
It's interesting you mention business systems, because the book I mentioned discusses American business schools in particular as a contributing factor to the idolization of extroversion in our culture. If you're not pushy and in your face - "selling yourself" as it were - you're considered a failure.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
It's interesting you mention business systems, because the book I mentioned discusses American business schools in particular as a contributing factor to the idolization of extroversion in our culture. If you're not pushy and in your face - "selling yourself" as it were - you're considered a failure.

Yeah....it's one of the things that makes business systems so interesting. There's a massive difference between then managers and sales guys (ie. business school types) and the programmers (tech geeks) with the implementation consultants and project managers somewhere in between.

Speaking for myself, I didn't attend business school. I attended teacher's college (for want of a better description) and switched into business later. But the gap between sales and technical is a great way to make a living when you have good communication skills...

The multi-national nature of the industry just adds more confusion/layers.