• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Interviewing @sun rise

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
My understanding is that is how we can help the process along especially when we are the actors not just the observers. And it's 99% of the time small gestures - a kind word, listening to someone's problems, a smile can cause another person to also express a kind word and so forth.
Yes, I could agree with that. A person just never knows the good they're doing...
I recently read praise for atheists in a quote from Martin Buber's "Tales of Hasidim". It illustrates how we ourselves can be the good deeds:

There is an old tale where the rabbi was asked by one of his students “Why did God create atheists?”​

After a long pause, the rabbi finally responded with a soft but sincere voice. “God created atheists” he said, “to teach us the most important lesson of them all – the lesson of true compassion. You see, when an atheist performs an act of charity, visits someone who is sick, helps someone in need, and cares for the world, he is not doing so because of some religious teaching. He does not believe that God commanded him to perform this act. In fact, he does not believe in God at all, so his actions are based on his sense of morality. Look at the kindness he bestows on others simply because he feels it to be right.​
When someone reaches out to you for help. You should never say ‘I’ll pray that God will help you.’ Instead, for that moment, you should become an atheist – imagine there is no God who could help, and say ‘I will help you’.”​
I like that. A good reminder that it takes all kinds as well...
Yes. We are attracted to Jesus, Krishna and other figures because for us they represent love even if we don't consciously know that. If we have a tzaddik, guru, murshid it's ideally because they hold up a mirror so we can more clearly walk the path of love.
I've heard it can even come down to the people we choose to share our day to day life with(friends and other companions). :)
I think of it as winter and spring. Before winter is finally over there are hints of spring with buds starting to form, more daylight, hints of warmth in the air. This does not mean that winter is done with us - there can still be serious storms. But the grip of winter is gradually disappearing. So, yes, it can get temporarily worse but with all the ups and downs the trend is positive.
Usually, the worst of the storms hit after that midway point... at least around here, on a typical year.
Honestly it makes me a bit grumpy. I'm no saint so I have a ego that wants to see it through with my current mind.
What are your feelings on the ego? Is it something to be overcome, or fine as it is?

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
What are your feelings on the ego? Is it something to be overcome, or fine as it is?
To me an ego is a structure that fills a purpose. For some it lasts a lifetime. For others it does not. Until it's purpose has been exhausted it will continue to live and trying to end it is premature. When the learning that an ego brings ends, its purpose ends and a transformation can begin. The story of Hafiz wanting God after an experience, St. Francis of Assisi when he was young, Meher Baba's childhood, the Buddha before his renunciation are examples showing that everyone starts with an ego.

I think for most the process is gradual. What was once felt as oneself starts feeling like a cage holding one's true self in bondage. The a new stage starts where wearing down the bars of the cage becomes the task until the Self can escape.

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
To me an ego is a structure that fills a purpose. For some it lasts a lifetime. For others it does not. Until it's purpose has been exhausted it will continue to live and trying to end it is premature. When the learning that an ego brings ends, its purpose ends and a transformation can begin. The story of Hafiz wanting God after an experience, St. Francis of Assisi when he was young, Meher Baba's childhood, the Buddha before his renunciation are examples showing that everyone starts with an ego.
A structure that fills a purpose... I hadn't ever thought of it that way. I suppose sometimes egos do provide a means to get certain activities accomplished. There's so much push that 'ego is bad' or 'ego is all there is' that this balanced approached hadn't occurred to me.

But, of course, like all things, temporary.
I think for most the process is gradual. What was once felt as oneself starts feeling like a cage holding one's true self in bondage. The a new stage starts where wearing down the bars of the cage becomes the task until the Self can escape.
Yeah, probably better to be gradual in most cases... I imagine the sudden and unexpected shedding of it could cause problems otherwise.

What do you feel its most important for others to know in understanding your religious and spiritual beliefs?

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
A structure that fills a purpose... I hadn't ever thought of it that way. I suppose sometimes egos do provide a means to get certain activities accomplished. There's so much push that 'ego is bad' or 'ego is all there is' that this balanced approached hadn't occurred to me.
Yeah, probably better to be gradual in most cases... I imagine the sudden and unexpected shedding of it could cause problems otherwise.
To me an analogy is by looking at how a butterfly starts off life as a caterpillar and when the time is right forms a cocoon in which to develop into the butterfly form. The caterpillar is not good or bad, it just is working on becoming a butterfly. Trying to force the transformation before the time is right won't work. A certain maturity is needed.

What do you feel its most important for others to know in understanding your religious and spiritual beliefs?
I had real trouble with "most important". I finally decided on three songs:

What the world is going through:

What I'm personally trying to do in the storm:

And a poetic expression of what we are all destined to attain, sooner or later:

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
To me an analogy is by looking at how a butterfly starts off life as a caterpillar and when the time is right forms a cocoon in which to develop into the butterfly form. The caterpillar is not good or bad, it just is working on becoming a butterfly. Trying to force the transformation before the time is right won't work. A certain maturity is needed.
True. A caterpillar is necessary for a butterfly. :)
I had real trouble with "most important". I finally decided on three songs:

What the world is going through:

What I'm personally trying to do in the storm:

And a poetic expression of what we are all destined to attain, sooner or later:
A message of hope, as I take it. :)

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
A message of hope, as I take it.
I meant it as more than passive hope. To unpack it a bit. The first video is a combination of monotheistic and polytheistic imagery with divine figures from East and West cooperating in ways true to their nature to act to help a new world be born. The second video is about how we can help as well. The third is a vision of the destination we are all bound for and one that will be easier to see once the pain and suffering of the birth of a better world is over.

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
I meant it as more than passive hope. To unpack it a bit. The first video is a combination of monotheistic and polytheistic imagery with divine figures from East and West cooperating in ways true to their nature to act to help a new world be born. The second video is about how we can help as well. The third is a vision of the destination we are all bound for and one that will be easier to see once the pain and suffering of the birth of a better world is over.
I appreciated some of the imagery of the first; I noticed both Western and Eastern Gods... and I liked that. I doubt Gods concern themselves with who goes where.

Do you feel comfortable in different kinds of religious settings?

I've read stories of the relief that comes when people realize the 'big picture', and see things for what they are...

Why do you think we're all here? Is there a purpose, a meaning, do you think?

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Do you feel comfortable in different kinds of religious settings?
I might feel a bit anxious about not following a ritual pattern properly and thus being disruptive but I've been in churches attended Catholic Mass, Islamic dargahs (tombs) in India, Buddhist centers and of course Jewish Temples which I grew up with. To me the Divine loves variety. The variety of ways people celebrate life can be like a beautiful bouquet.
Why do you think we're all here? Is there a purpose, a meaning, do you think?
We're all here to learn the lessons of life and to grow and mature over many sojourns in human form until we've seen it all and done it all and then to be united with the Divine through love.

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
I might feel a bit anxious about not following a ritual pattern properly and thus being disruptive but I've been in churches attended Catholic Mass, Islamic dargahs (tombs) in India, Buddhist centers and of course Jewish Temples which I grew up with. To me the Divine loves variety. The variety of ways people celebrate life can be like a beautiful bouquet.
I like the analogy.

Which places that you've been to stick out in your mind?

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Which places that you've been to stick out in your mind?
Assisi is one. A friend and I kept wondering who we were when Francis as alive - it felt *so* familiar to us that we felt like brother monks (my friend is female!)

St. Peter's Basilica in Rome and other places there lifted my spirits and had me mindful of the impact of such buildings on people hundreds of years ago. Coming from hovels and dirty streets, such buildings would have felt like heaven.

Taragarh Fort, Ajmer, India during my 2012 trip to India is another. I felt that all parts of my being were breathing a fuller, more pure "air". I was ready to throw off my western clothes and take up residence there. Given the history of that fort, I don't know why I was so profoundly impacted but I was.

Shirdi - Shirdi Sai Baba's tomb-shrine. I felt I was experiencing the devotional heart of India going through the line with countless devotees.

And naturally for me, Meher Baba's places, Meherazad and Meherabad in Ahmednagar. The first time especially in 1974, 5 years after he had dropped his physical body was very powerful. It was like going into a room where there had been many fragrant roses and smelling the lingering perfume that they had left. It was like he had just stepped away but was "in the next room".

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
Assisi is one. A friend and I kept wondering who we were when Francis as alive - it felt *so* familiar to us that we felt like brother monks (my friend is female!)
I imagine we've all been both male and female in all the incarnations...

Its fun to think, you just never know where you've been...
St. Peter's Basilica in Rome and other places there lifted my spirits and had me mindful of the impact of such buildings on people hundreds of years ago. Coming from hovels and dirty streets, such buildings would have felt like heaven.

Taragarh Fort, Ajmer, India during my 2012 trip to India is another. I felt that all parts of my being were breathing a fuller, more pure "air". I was ready to throw off my western clothes and take up residence there. Given the history of that fort, I don't know why I was so profoundly impacted but I was.
What's the history?
Shirdi - Shirdi Sai Baba's tomb-shrine. I felt I was experiencing the devotional heart of India going through the line with countless devotees.
Sounds amazing. :)
And naturally for me, Meher Baba's places, Meherazad and Meherabad in Ahmednagar. The first time especially in 1974, 5 years after he had dropped his physical body was very powerful. It was like going into a room where there had been many fragrant roses and smelling the lingering perfume that they had left. It was like he had just stepped away but was "in the next room".
Reminds me of something Ramakrishna told his wife after he'd passed... "why do you mourn for me? I haven't left, I'm just in another room."

If you have any say in the matter, where would you go and who would you be next time around?

River Sea

We're all here to learn the lessons of life and to grow and mature over many sojourns in human form until we've seen it all and done it all and then to be united with the Divine through love.

@sun rise
I agree with you about learning. I'm still in the process of learning.

River Sea

@sun rise

Taragarh Fort, Ajmer, India

Ajmer India.JPG

Meherabad in Ahmednagar

Meherabad....JPG

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Stupid RF did not alert me to your latest post.

What's the history?
The history of the fort as a military fort is summarized here Taragarh Fort, Ajmer - Wikipedia but I don't remember the spiritual significance since the visit was in 2012. But since you included Italy as well, I'm not sure if this is responsive to what you were asking?
If you have any say in the matter, where would you go and who would you be next time around?

I've not given it really any thought. And now that you've asked me, I can't think of anything.

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
Stupid RF did not alert me to your latest post.

The history of the fort as a military fort is summarized here Taragarh Fort, Ajmer - Wikipedia but I don't remember the spiritual significance since the visit was in 2012. But since you included Italy as well, I'm not sure if this is responsive to what you were asking?
I meant the Fort. :D
I've not given it really any thought. And now that you've asked me, I can't think of anything.
Now its something to ponder on when you can't sleep...

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Now its something to ponder on when you can't sleep...

Actually I distract myself from daily issues with various fantasies and science fiction plots. One recent one is an alien scout lands on a world to see if the invading aliens can easily take it over with their weaponry but they discover that the inhabitants are living very simple lives because they don't need material stuff due to their advanced mental powers. This is not a unique plot, of course, but it keeps me amused and helps me relax.