• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Interview Caladan!

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
In light of recent demands for interviewees, I hear by step up, for the guillotine, a stream of questions, or simply the stray tomato or two!

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
Bacon - please hold forth on this most delectable of topics.
Well I was more hoping for interesting questions about my life: hobbies, travel, studies, whiskey, romance, high adventure, or even career.
But bacon is Kosher as far as I'm concerned. with eggs, on a burger, or by itself!

TurkeyOnRye

I suppose I'm the official interviewer since I volunteered for it.

Just to get us started, Caladan, when and where were you born? What were some significant events of early childhood?

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
I suppose I'm the official interviewer since I volunteered for it.

Just to get us started, Caladan, when and where were you born? What were some significant events of early childhood?
I was born in central Israel, and even though I'm sure I gave my year of birth here before, I'll simply state that I'm in my early 30's :D
Some significant events of my early childhood... hmmmm. Vampire movies, becoming the bf of the girl I had a crush on in first grade, receiving a medal when playing soccer for my school team, and probably watching Indiana Jones for the first time. That's a few of the things that come to mind.

TurkeyOnRye

I was born in central Israel, and even though I'm sure I gave my year of birth here before, I'll simply state that I'm in my early 30's :D
Some significant events of my early childhood... hmmmm. Vampire movies, becoming the bf of the girl I had a crush on in first grade, receiving a medal when playing soccer for my school team, and probably watching Indiana Jones for the first time. That's a few of the things that come to mind.

Good stuff.

Let's talk about your parents, Caladan. And your family in general.

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
What is the most significant and/or unsuspected find you've personally come across while on an archaeological excavation?
I believe the most memorable experience was unearthing 3 skeletons in an underground burial chamber, just me, 3 deceased persons from the Iron Age, and complete votive gifts. And the beauty was that it was a night time excavation, all was quite, it was pretty meditative.
When it comes to significant, in one excavation I took part in at Arsuf (Apollonia) we unearthed a complete winepress with mosaics and a Greek inscription/dedication to 'the One God'.

Last edited:

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
Well...tell us. As much as you please.
:beach:
Sure OK. I have an older sister who is an architect. My mother used to work for our municipality's educational office, and my father works for the largest bank in Israel, although until very recently he wasn't what you might call a 'banker' in actuality. My mother was born in Israel to a European-Jewish family, and my father immigrated to Israel when he was little from Casablanca. So our background is pretty diverse.
I think in the last couple of years my mother got plenty of peace of mind, as both my sister an I were married, and now my sister is expecting a boy.
I met my wife while excavating in central Israel in a Crusaders/Islamic period site and we lived in London for close to 2 years, we only recently moved to Israel to settle here. My wife is originally from France, and we got to travel a lot between Israel, the UK and France in the last couple of years, in addition we travelled across the Atlantic all the way to the Caribbean to visit Cuba.
Both of us love to travel, and together we visited all continents.

croak

Trickster
Both of us love to travel, and together we visited all continents.
You visited Antarctica? Everyone forgets Antarctica.

Did your dad ever tell you guys stories about Casablanca? Did he miss it? I'm assuming you haven't been able to travel to Morocco, but if you have, what was it like, and if you haven't, would you like to?

What got you interested in archaeology? Did you always want to be an archaeologist?

I'm in the question-asking mood, for some reason. :)

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
You visited Antarctica? Everyone forgets Antarctica.
LOL I probably know some one who did visit Antarctica. But yes in general I meant Asia, Africa, the Americas, Europe, and Oceania.

Did your dad ever tell you guys stories about Casablanca? Did he miss it? I'm assuming you haven't been able to travel to Morocco, but if you have, what was it like, and if you haven't, would you like to?
It's actually possible for Israelis to travel Morocco, my sister visited Morocco with my father and had a great time, and incidentally my wife has been to Morocco as well. She also went to other Mid eastern countries that as an Israeli I have no access to, such as Syria.
Personally I'm pretty eager to go to Morocco, and also trek the Sahara. My wife knows this, and its under considerations. ;)

What got you interested in archaeology? Did you always want to be an archaeologist?
I believe what first got me interested was learning about the Crusaders and the feudal system of Europe, and the middle ages in general. And although I excavated Crusaders material, most of our archaeological studies focused on much earlier periods, from prehistory to the Bronze Age, the Iron Age and Classical times. At the moment my MA is focused on Historical archaeology, which are later periods, although the program also explores the world of antiquity, including the Classical Mediterranean.

I'm in the question-asking mood, for some reason. :)
Go ahead! I'll indulge you!! :p

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
So whats it like in Israel. In the states it gets oftentimes portrayed as tumultuous and chaotic for the obvious reasons through the media. Is it for the most part peaceful and pleasent to live there? From photos and film it's beautiful country.

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
So whats it like in Israel. In the states it gets oftentimes portrayed as tumultuous and chaotic for the obvious reasons through the media. Is it for the most part peaceful and pleasent to live there? From photos and film it's beautiful country.
This is the impression my wife had before she came to Israel. She thought it is a militarized state. Now she realizes that Israel is nothing like what she imagined.
Although there has been a period (for example the 90s) where there was a series of terror attacks in central Israel or Jerusalem. As an Israeli, I feel incredibly safe here, we have relatively low crime, and the security services have brought several terror activities I believe to an all time low. Central Israel has been terror free for quite some time now. Some of the problematic regions have been areas around the Gaza strip for example in recent years.
But to sum the experience. Israelis enjoy a very normal life, there's the beach, local beer, local food, people love to go out and party hard. In recent years there has been the odd outbreak of violence, but in general life resumes, people have their careers, studies, and social life.
My wife is very happy that we moved here, she loves the weather, the caffes, Jerusalem, the beach, and the overall experience.

TurkeyOnRye

What are your hobbies, Caladan?

What are your favorite foods?

What countries, if any, do you expect to travel to in the future?