• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

interpretation of some passages of scripture

anonymous9887

bible reader
Whose job is it to make disciples, according to you? Every believer or only some believers or only those few people who heard Jesus say it? I would call not knowing a burden.

Matthew 23:4
Everyone can teach truth, but we have to be careful, thank god he is forgiving and knows we are imperfect

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Well the thing is actually understanding the manuscript tradition. I believe the tradition protected the message. I've seen a few of these contradictions, and none have been significant enough to say the message is corrupted
I think Proverbs 3:5 is corrupted. The reason why is it encourages people to lean on the understanding of human teachers as the word "own" was added.

I think there is a difference in meaning between "on understanding do not lean" and "on your OWN understanding do not lean".

It is FACT that YOU lean on the understanding of the scribes who copied the scriptures.. That can not be denied. But I think the real message is that we should not lean on any understanding. To do so is to miss somethings that come after you learn to lean.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Sure. I have no problem accepting it as a. Corruption,. It to assume the entire text is corrupted because of scribal mistakes is not reasonable.
I don't think there is a human being who thinks that because of some mistakes the entire work is corrupted. Do you know anyone like that?

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Well the thing is actually understanding the manuscript tradition. I believe the tradition protected the message. I've seen a few of these contradictions, and none have been significant enough to say the message is corrupted
I think you mean the many messages.

anonymous9887

bible reader
@Paul Chavez What is the message you think was not corrupted?
Why we die
Why god allows suffering
How god handles judgments
The interaction god had with the people if scripture is remarkable.

The seed of the woman that would crush the head of the serpent
Abraham story is real, the kings of Israel stories are real
Moses was real

This list goes on and on, I have managed to harmonize these nicely.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Why we die
Why god allows suffering
How god handles judgments
The interaction god had with the people if scripture is remarkable.

The seed of the woman that would crush the head of the serpent
Abraham story is real, the kings of Israel stories are real
Moses was real

This list goes on and on, I have managed to harmonize these nicely.
Which ones govern what you do?

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
The ones I know are wrong or are being taught wrong actually govern what a person does.

Isn't what a person does most important?

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I am free to believe I am not responsible for other people's salvation. According to Matthew 28:19 you are being made responsible for getting other people to believe in Jesus.

I am free to believe I need not attach myself to a certain group of believers because I understand Hebrews 10:25 is about gathering to the fine shepherd and isn't about our life here on the Earth.

I am free to reject false ideas because I have learned on understanding do not lean. I am like a bird.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Jesus said to live from every word that comes from Jehovah's mouth.
You're flipping everything I say. I say what you do is important and the scriptures have been changed to tell you to do something which wasn't written and you say nothing about that. You say if you believe God said it God said it. Does that make sense to you?

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
@Paul Chavez as I am meditating on the wish-wash that goes on in this place, I see something funny and I hope you might think it is funny too.

You make Matthew 4:4 into a command from Jesus Christ but you left out the meaning. LOL

You say, "Jesus said to live from every word that comes from Jehovah's mouth." and then you leave out, "it is written".

Is it funny? Someone thinks so!

What is written is; the moreover answering he said, it has been written, not by bread alone shall live the man, but by every word coming out of mouth of God.

King James Bible
But he answered and said, It is written, Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God.

Mouth is an interesting word that you might study, if you will.

Mouth

That it is written he said, "it is written" means see the law. What it doesn't mean is, "obey me".

OK?

You make it into that you should obey Jesus' words that you say are God's words but..........

NOW do you see how you and they have changed the meaning of Matthew 4:4? No?

Matthew 13:15

As an aside, why do you suppose it is written that Jesus will not heal some people?

For this people's heart has become calloused; they hardly hear with their ears, and they have closed their eyes. Otherwise they might see with their eyes, hear with their ears, understand with their hearts and turn, and I would heal them.

Last edited:

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
What I see are people trying to force square pegs into round holes.
My conscience is telling me that it is alright to call those type of people "lovers of violence" because
banging those pegs where they do not belong involves some intense, turbulent ( sometimes furious) and often destructive action; which is violence. Violence also means, undue alteration (as of wording or sense in editing a text).

Your square peg @Paul Chavez? Saying it does not matter that what is written is "it is written".

If I told you my plan was to take some Chinese lanterns from the yard of the unoccupied house (and I know they will not be picked because I already told the owner that he can sell those - I'm not going to sell them - and they are quickly passing their cut date) You might think it is OK, but what you should say is it is not LEGAL to trespass to take those.

You know, if they put plenty of bricks together what they get is a brick building or a wall. Please see
Genesis 11:3
Or maybe you just throw them at people.

anonymous9887

bible reader
You're flipping everything I say. I say what you do is important and the scriptures have been changed to tell you to do something which wasn't written and you say nothing about that. You say if you believe God said it God said it. Does that make sense to you?
no thats not what I am saying. What I am saying is we can examine the words themselves and determine if they are inspired or not.

anonymous9887

bible reader
@Paul Chavez as I am meditating on the wish-wash that goes on in this place, I see something funny and I hope you might think it is funny too.

You make Matthew 4:4 into a command from Jesus Christ but you left out the meaning. LOL

You say, "Jesus said to live from every word that comes from Jehovah's mouth." and then you leave out, "it is written".

Is it funny? Someone thinks so!

What is written is; the moreover answering he said, it has been written, not by bread alone shall live the man, but by every word coming out of mouth of God.

King James Bible
But he answered and said, It is written, Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God.

Mouth is an interesting word that you might study, if you will.

Mouth

That it is written he said, "it is written" means see the law. What it doesn't mean is, "obey me".

OK?

You make it into that you should obey Jesus' words that you say are God's words but..........

NOW do you see how you and they have changed the meaning of Matthew 4:4? No?

Matthew 13:15

As an aside, why do you suppose it is written that Jesus will not heal some people?

For this people's heart has become calloused; they hardly hear with their ears, and they have closed their eyes. Otherwise they might see with their eyes, hear with their ears, understand with their hearts and turn, and I would heal them.

Well to me you complicate things. to me it is fairly simple.

1. We have the word that is inspired of god
2. We have commands in the written word as to what is best for us
3. you don't have to obey them, but you will experience the consequences of your actions. God is trying to spare you the misery
4. God is the creator of all things and knows all things of all things. So the inspired word that he commands us is for our personal benefit, because he knows what is best. Isaiah 48:17,18

5. About why Jesus would not heal some people is simple. The Jews knew that Jesus was the messiah by the miracles they performed and the way he handled the Tanakh. Jesus went as far as telling them " i will answer your question if you will answer mine, the baptism of John the baptist was it from heaven or from men?" then they go on to say "we do not know" after they had reasoned in their minds the outcome. They rejected the messiah it was their own personal choice to reject him. You cant heal someone who does not want it. Accepting Jesus as the messiah would mean they would have to be submissive to god's son.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
no thats not what I am saying. What I am saying is we can examine the words themselves and determine if they are inspired or not.
That makes no sense coming from you. You believe they are inspired. You believe they all are. To be true to yourself you mean, "I examine the words to determine that they are inspired". You begin your search looking for inspiration. I have looked at them looking for the truth.