• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Internal iPod?

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
For several years now I have resisted the urge to buy an iPod or MP3 player. You see, instead of listening to music when I am out and about or travelling I construct songs in my brain and work through various tempos and themes or sonic textures.

Quite often I will work on a simple repetative theme carried through various instruments and will usually conjure suitable words once things get going. For example while waiting for a Ferry to arrive (I was 2 hours early) recently I began unconsciously piecing together a tonal sequence based on sounds that were happening around me and found an odd rythm therein. This grew in complexity as I let my imagination go with the melody and soon I was weaving several instrument and drums sequences around what began as external sounds. Suddenly I imagined a tremendous crash of an immense Chinese Gong and then a lilting, simple vocal added itself to the mix. In my mind I was imagining a soprano choir singing "We are, we are, we are! We are Home!" and scaled the music around it.

Bear in mind that I had several different tracks going simultaneously by this stage and the words simply were "right" for the mood of the inner tune. Just as the music slowly morphed (Sort of like how Phillip Glass morphs complex but monotonous themes continually) the words began to morph as well, all the while this lovely operatic soprano female voice now sang, "We are, we are, we are! We are all One!"

The whole arrangement finished about a half hour after I began working with it while gazing out the window looking out over the water and into the heavy cloud cover. As with the other stages of the "song" I got how to finish it in quite a lovely fashion. The whole thing, choir and all crested in an orchestral but distinct resonating AUM that rolled into the sound of thunder, slowly echoing off into light rain. When I focused on my surroundings again, it was indeed beginning to rain, lol.

They say that imagination is a powerful thing but few tell you how incredibly entertaining an unfettered imagination can be. Oh well it certainly beats listening to old songs I have heard a 1000 times before and I much prefer silence anyway.

I guess I should also mention that I have zero musical training and cannot sing my way out of a paper bag, however that doesn't mean that I cannot create wonderfully complex and rich symphonies in my mind for my own amusement. It certainly entertains me and so far has saved me the price of an MP3 player or an evil Apple iPawed.

What about you? Do you make your own music if only for you in your mind?

:sarcastic

BFD_Zayl

sometimes when i'm falling asleep, yes. sometimes it even wakes me up, because it sounds like actual music coming from somewhere other then in my head, i wake up, and it is dead silent.

Smoke

Done here.
Nothing as intricate as what you describe, but I often make up songs, especially when I'm driving a long distance.

BucephalusBB

ABACABB
Just curious, does anyone else do this or am I just a freak?
I won't keep you in the dark.

I do not, you must be a freak :D

Edit: Besides, I am a microsoftfan, so my internal MP3 player would be a zune. (I refuse to let I-pod become a word on it's own like google and TomTom did :D )

methylatedghosts

Can't brain. Has dumb.
Just curious, does anyone else do this or am I just a freak?

Aren't we all freaks? :p

At home, I normally have music playing, but outside of home, (out in public even!) I will begin humming and making up a song if there's nothing stuck in my head already, and perhaps even boogeying in the supermarket, or out on the footpath ^_^

More often, though, it's not as much music that makes my imagination fly, but images. Unfortunately, it's more than a little dangerous to walk into town, crossing roads, with my eyes closed to capture the pictures, so that's best left to do at home :p

usualy make songs by using the melody of songs and use tone of the word but using a nonsence word

who let the dogs out
su ce le og sout
etc

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
doppelgänger;1511424 said:
Yes, I do. But that doesn't mean you aren't still a freak, Paul.

:D
I was wondering who would catch that. I should have known it would be you. ;)

Runewolf1973

Materialism/Animism
I do this all the time. I sometimes think to myself 'if only I could play the piano or something' because I literally construct symphonies in my head. I like a lot of classical music such as Vivaldi and others, but sometimes I wonder, because some of the stuff I create in my head almost "sounds" better. Weird. I think it takes a creative mind to do this. I only wish I could hear some of your "music" YmirGF.

Ahh, and yes, sometimes I get the dumbest songs stuck in my head and I can't sleep because of it.

Last edited:

Runewolf1973

Materialism/Animism
doppelgänger;1511466 said:
It takes one to know one. Does your internal i-Pod ever get stuck doing cover versions of WHAM's greatest hits?

Mine does on occasion.:guitar1:Ughhh!!!:cover:

NoahideHiker

Religious Headbanger
I have the evil iPod. I don't know what I did before I got it. My entire music collection in one place plus every single photo I have is on there, plus some tv shows and a few movies, plus games, plus educational podcasts. All in one tiny little machine. It's amazing.

As for internal music...nothing going on there. I'm non musical myself.