• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Interest in Buddhism

Huey09

He who struggles with God
I recently became interested in buddhism after hearing his life's journey on youtube that was originally on PBS. I would like to ask some questions to you guys and hopefully get some answers.

1.) What is Nirvana?(Oblivion, Absorption?)
2.) If buddhism strives for letting go of attachment, how can one work or follow dreams or fall in love. I don't mean to sound rude but its a little confusing to me:eek:
3.) Why do some people become monks or why don't most go for their discipline?
4). Can you be theistic in some way or not?
5.) Is buddha a God in some way?
Thanks for your input

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
Not all beings can take the path of a monk.

Psychological attachment is the issue at hand.

There are deities in Buddhist cosmology, but subject to change, as is all.

God as in Creator? Probably not, but focus on your life here and now. Likewise, don't fuss over nibbana, act compassionately.

Huey09

Not all beings can take the path of a monk.

Psychological attachment is the issue at hand.

There are deities in Buddhist cosmology, but subject to change, as is all.

God as in Creator? Probably not, but focus on your life here and now. Likewise, don't fuss over nibbana, act compassionately.

Is the monk the only one who could reach nirvana in this lifetime? and I've never heard it that way "nibbana". But I just was curious to hear what buddhists had to say on it if there is anything to be said

StarryNightshade

Spiritually confused Jew
Premium Member

Some believe Nirvana to be a literal place, but I don't think of it as such. Personally, I view it as a state of being. When one realizes their own inner nature and goes with the flow of things. Then again, I guess that's my Hinduism and Taoist influence creeping in. :D

2.) If buddhism strives for letting go of attachment, how can one work or follow dreams or fall in love. I don't mean to sound rude but its a little confusing to me:eek:

When "attachment" is mentioned, I think it means to not give your hopes up and believe anything to be permanent. All things change (including dreams and love), and to become too attached to such concepts can bring "suffering" (although I would prefer 'existential crisis').

Why do some people become monks? Why does anyone of any religious tradition become a part of the clergy?

From what I gathered from my years as a Buddhist, most don't go for becoming a monk, because they're simply not ready. They'll be reborn due to their karma and, if they're ready the next time, then they will become monastic.

Then again, only Theravada and, to an extent, Tibetan put major emphasis on only monks and nuns attaining enlightenment. Most Buddhists, being Mahayana, believe anyone can; regardless if they're a layperson or a part of an order.

I personally think you can. God is seen as neutral/not important, but that doesn't mean an individual Buddhist can't believe in a divinity of sorts.

Generally no. Most Buddhists see him as simply a man. Although there are a few schools that view him as a divine entity, but not as God.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I recently became interested in buddhism after hearing his life's journey on youtube that was originally on PBS. I would like to ask some questions to you guys and hopefully get some answers.

Thanks for your input

You could put the questions aside for a moment and just engage with sitting practice. See what transpires from that by using your own experience to answer those questions.

Huey09

You could put the questions aside for a moment and just engage with sitting practice. See what transpires from that by using your own experience to answer those questions.

What is this sitting practice? And I can't help asking questions I'm too curious for my own good:p

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
Is the monk the only one who could reach nirvana in this lifetime? and I've never heard it that way "nibbana". But I just was curious to hear what buddhists had to say on it if there is anything to be said

It's just the English transliterations from Sanskrit and Pali.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member

To the best of my understanding, it is being aware and at peace with how things are.

Attachment is not the same as having clear goals and appreciating things. A telltale sign of the difference is how troubled one is when the object of attachment is unavailable.

Vocations vary.

Most certainly, although I suppose Buddhism isn't too gentle for the most dogmatic forms of theism.

You could define "God" in such a way as to make the Buddha fit the concept, but I would not advise it. Then again, I don't advise people to rely on concepts of God at all.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
What is this sitting practice? And I can't help asking questions I'm too curious for my own good:p
It's called Zazen in the disipline I've chosen.

Basically it's abiding without entertaining physical and mental nuances that crop up and allowing such to pass. You condition to acknowledge and let go of whatever crops up each session, and through which you begin to realise what hasnt been noticed beforhand because of the obscurity caused by a number of factors including mental and physical distractions that cause a diversion of focus.

It's like if you stop splashing a puddle of water and allowing things to settle enough, you will notice the bottom clearly. Much like the manner our mind and body churns creating a muddled obscured view. It's the reason why there is such value placed in sitting meditations. Once things improve, there is more clarity and understanding by which improves the ability to accept and handle whatever occurs in life and helps reduce anxiety and suffering. Even through regression and setbacks, the nature of those things, once insight into them is realised more, the sting lessens.

Zazen is not hard to learn and do. It's mastered the very first moment, to whatever years you choose to continue. It's interesting that it's your mind and body that makes it challenging for such a simple and easy practice. That likely will be the first insight and of which the most profound by seeing your very own nature at work.

Straw Dog

What is Nirvana?(Oblivion, Absorption?)

Nirvana is not a physical location, it cannot be attained by the ego, and it is not a particular state of mind as all 'states' are transitory. Nirvana is the direct realization of statelessness: not one, not many.

2.) If buddhism strives for letting go of attachment, how can one work or follow dreams or fall in love.

It's mostly letting go of egocentric craving and entanglement, which is rooted in the ignorance of a separately isolated 'individual' that is lacking something. Other desires for awakening and serving life can be beneficial.

Now... Have I really explained anything? Or are you still just as confused? :D

Trying to understand Buddhism without meditating is like a virgin attempting to understand the experience of sex, or trying to understand Christianity without praying. You just don't get very far.

Huey09

Nirvana is not a physical location, it cannot be attained by the ego, and it is not a particular state of mind as all 'states' are transitory. Nirvana is the direct realization of statelessness: not one, not many.
This sounds like what I once heard about a Bodhisattva in something called the heart sutra

It's mostly letting go of egocentric craving and entanglement, which is rooted in the ignorance of a separately isolated 'individual' that is lacking something. Other desires for awakening and serving life can be beneficial.
Now... Have I really explained anything? Or are you still just as confused? :D
I understand a little. Many eastern beliefs like sikhism and hinduism have taught me about the destructiveness of the ego.

Trying to understand Buddhism without meditating is like a virgin attempting to understand the experience of sex, or trying to understand Christianity without praying. You just don't get very far.
I'm a virgin and I know a little bit about sex...through extensive research:rolleyes: lol

Straw Dog

This sounds like what I once heard about a Bodhisattva in something called the heart sutra

Yes, form is not different from emptiness and emptiness is not different from form...

I understand a little. Many eastern beliefs like sikhism and hinduism have taught me about the destructiveness of the ego.

Good. Forgive it because it knows not what it does. Acceptance is better than treating self-representations as an enemy. Personally don't even prefer calling them an illusion or delusion really, although many Buddhists would use such terms. Just recognize that they are merely a transient representation rather than an eternal form.

I'm a virgin and I know a little bit about sex...through extensive research:rolleyes: lol

Well, research never hurt anyone and just makes you a more responsible person. An important ethical precept is to avoid abusing sex. Don't listen to the players out there because they're definitely driven by heavy egoic craving. We could also say that trying to understand Buddhism without meditating is like trying to understand the experience of falling in love without actually falling in love.

Huey09

Well, research never hurt anyone and just makes you a more responsible person. An important ethical precept is to avoid abusing sex. Don't listen to the players out there because they're definitely driven by heavy egoic craving. We could also say that trying to understand Buddhism without meditating is like trying to understand the experience of falling in love without actually falling in love.
Gotcha I will try it and see what I gain from the experience.Although I don't know how I will explain the experience if I have one.

DreadFish

Cosmic Vagabond

Nirvana is cessation. Specifically, cessation of conceptual experience.

The attachment and craving talked about isn't exactly the same as simple wants. Not being attached to something means keeping an open hand, not trying to hold on to it, not trying to push it away. I think equanimity goes together with this.

I guess most people aren't inclined to that sort of lifestyle.

In general, I think it is accepting of theism, though any deities are also conditioned beings subject to the changes of life. As far as a creator god, that is specifically denied. Some deities in Buddhism are considered expressions of your own enlightened mind, not separate entities from you. Any other deities might be Buddhas who have vowed to help other beings.

I think we should specifically avoid putting the historical Buddha (Siddhartha) in the category of God. I think we should probably not put his person above his teachings. Somewhere in the suttas, the Buddha said, if you want to honor him or appreciate him, you should just practice his teachings.