• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Intelligence of a leader

What level of intelligence is preferred for a leader of a nation?

• Total voters

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Boy, do I ever hate that show. It perpetuates a stereotype of people with high IQs as unattractive dorks with no social skills or fashion sense. Nobody I know with a really high IQ is anything like that. They get laid all the time. :D
Hahahahaha. Thanks for that, Alceste. I admit that when Lady Draka mentioned Sheldon, I had no idea who she was talking about. I simply don't waste much time watching American um, er... ah... "comedy"... but I did sit fascinated with one show, one night, for a few minutes - it was so mindnumbingly bad. It focused on a bunch of apparently smart guys, making really stupid jokes. Odd, smart people don't tend to make stupid jokes... clever jokes, for sure, but stupid jokes... not really.

Orias

Left Hand Path
What level of intelligence is preferred in a leader of a nation?

I voted high intelligence but I'm going to justify it further.

First of all having a high intelligence can be bad, you know, if they're evil ;)

Other than that I think intelligence is marked by several instances, reaction, timing, negotiation, calculation, and intuition. They're all pretty vague, I think they are applicable when applied to the broad spectrum of intelligences and education.

A good political leader should have a basic understanding of geography, be able to balance budges, and boost moral and economy during certain situations.

But generally being a leader is a skill in itself, which doesn't require "intelligence" per se, but tenacious and inspiring.

Draka

Wonder Woman
Boy, do I ever hate that show. It perpetuates a stereotype of people with high IQs as unattractive dorks with no social skills or fashion sense. Nobody I know with a really high IQ is anything like that. They get laid all the time. :D

Well, I love that show. I have no idea where you get unattractive from as I happen to think both Leonard and Raj are both attractive and cute and hell. Sweet too. I'd be all over either one of them irl. I'd MAKE Raj talk to me :flirt:

idav

Being
Premium Member
Hmm, for an excellent example...picture Sheldon as our leader. What? Wouldn't work well? But...he has an IQ of 187 right?

Okay, I admit it, I'm scattered. Always have been. I may not be the best choice either :p

Penny would be the better leader or Leanord. Not Sheldon he has the level of intelligence where you have trouble with tiring shoes.

I love the show too. :D

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Penny would be the better leader or Leanord. Not Sheldon he has the level of intelligence where you have trouble with tiring shoes.

I love the show too. :D
Oddly, the segment I saw stuck me as trivial inane drivel. But, each to their own, I suppose.

Alceste

Vagabond
Hahahahaha. Thanks for that, Alceste. I admit that when Lady Draka mentioned Sheldon, I had no idea who she was talking about. I simply don't waste much time watching American um, er... ah... "comedy"... but I did sit fascinated with one show, one night, for a few minutes - it was so mindnumbingly bad. It focused on a bunch of apparently smart guys, making really stupid jokes. Odd, smart people don't tend to make stupid jokes... clever jokes, for sure, but stupid jokes... not really.

Yeah, I think of shows like the Mighty Boosh as comedy for smart people. :D Funny on so many levels. My hubby, who is a genius, got a hernia laughing at their radio show, although we were not completely sober at the time.

[youtube]0AckvdGbk4w[/youtube]
Eels song - The Mighty Boosh - BBC comedy - YouTube

Alceste

Vagabond
Well, I love that show. I have no idea where you get unattractive from as I happen to think both Leonard and Raj are both attractive and cute and hell. Sweet too. I'd be all over either one of them irl. I'd MAKE Raj talk to me :flirt:

I get it from the fact that they never score, and they have low self-confidence, and act awkward around girls. :D

I don't care for the show, but I'm pretty brutal when it comes to TV shows. Comedy especially. I've got no patience for tropes and stereotypes. I like complex characters that can't be described in a short phrase, like "the liberal woman and her gay room-mate" or "four smart guys". I think American comedy relies too heavily on simplistic, stereotypical characters. British comedy appeals to me more, because the characters are more like actual people. (I'd mention Canadian comedy if we had any).

That said, I really enjoy the daily show, and the American version of the office is just a good as the British one, if not more so.

Draka

Wonder Woman
Yeah, I think of shows like the Mighty Boosh as comedy for smart people. :D Funny on so many levels. My hubby, who is a genius, got a hernia laughing at their radio show, although we were not completely sober at the time.

I think there's just a difference in cultures and what we're raised to find funny. I just don't get that at all, and I don't think it has to do with intelligence or genius factor either. I find the vast majority of British comedy completely lacking, Canadian not much different in that I just find much of it is just odd, as I'm sure you find much of American comedy. I simply don't see it having anything to do with how smart a person is as to what their taste in comedy happens to be. It's just the culture people are raised in and familiar with is all.

Draka

Wonder Woman
I get it from the fact that they never score, and they have low self-confidence, and act awkward around girls. :D

I don't care for the show, but I'm pretty brutal when it comes to TV shows. Comedy especially. I've got no patience for tropes and stereotypes. I like complex characters that can't be described in a short phrase, like "the liberal woman and her gay room-mate" or "four smart guys". I think American comedy relies too heavily on simplistic, stereotypical characters. British comedy appeals to me more, because the characters are more like actual people. (I'd mention Canadian comedy if we had any).

That said, I really enjoy the daily show, and the American version of the office is just a good as the British one, if not more so.

British comedy has characters like actual people? Not that I've ever met. I've met people just like those in shows like Reba, Home Improvement, Roseanne, and yes, even Big Bang Theory, I've never met anyone quite like those in Absolutely Fabulous or Have You Been Served? or the like. Maybe I've seen the wrong shows, or I've met the wrong people.

Alceste

Vagabond
British comedy has characters like actual people? Not that I've ever met. I've met people just like those in shows like Reba, Home Improvement, Roseanne, and yes, even Big Bang Theory, I've never met anyone quite like those in Absolutely Fabulous or Have You Been Served? or the like. Maybe I've seen the wrong shows, or I've met the wrong people.

I was thinking of what modern shows like Peep Show, The Office, the In Betweeners, and Spaced have in common. Ab Fab didn't even cross my mind, and I'd never even heard of Are You Being Served. Just looked it up, and it was canceled when I was 11. I think it's fair to say that comedy everywhere was crappier in the eighties. :D

Maybe it is a cultural thing, then. I've never met anyone who reminds me of a character on most American sit-coms (the Office being the exception), and there's no part of myself that relates to those characters. Part of the fun for me is going "Oh, I'm totally like that sometimes" and having a laugh at my own expense.

Alceste

Vagabond
I think there's just a difference in cultures and what we're raised to find funny. I just don't get that at all, and I don't think it has to do with intelligence or genius factor either. I find the vast majority of British comedy completely lacking, Canadian not much different in that I just find much of it is just odd, as I'm sure you find much of American comedy. I simply don't see it having anything to do with how smart a person is as to what their taste in comedy happens to be. It's just the culture people are raised in and familiar with is all.

Yeah, humour is like that. :) It doesn't travel well.

Still, people with high IQs are not like Sheldon! So there! :p

Alex_G

Enlightner of the Senses

Ah my friend loves the Boosh. We often see Noel Fielding when we're out in London actually.
I've got a soft spot for Blackadder personally. :p Oh and Peep Show is pretty good too.

Alceste

Vagabond
Ah my friend loves the Boosh. We often see Noel Fielding when we're out in London actually.
I've got a soft spot for Blackadder personally. :p Oh and Peep Show is pretty good too.

I like Blackadder too. I saw the Boosh guys at the Melbourne Comedy festival before they had their TV show. They were completely unlike anything I'd seen before, and they were a big hit at the festival. I met them later but didn't really talk to them. It was a huge schmooze-fest of comedians and pretty much everybody was acting like a snobby git. Never put a hundred actors or comedians in a pub together. That's my advice. :D

Alex_G

Enlightner of the Senses
I like Blackadder too. I saw the Boosh guys at the Melbourne Comedy festival before they had their TV show. They were completely unlike anything I'd seen before, and they were a big hit at the festival. I met them later but didn't really talk to them. It was a huge schmooze-fest of comedians and pretty much everybody was acting like a snobby git. Never put a hundred actors or comedians in a pub together. That's my advice. :D

lol i will take that under advisement! :p
I like a good old comedy festival. Not had much oppertunity to attend any in any other countries, but we always head up to Scotland for the Edinburgh comedy festival, which is good. One of my fav cities to visit aswell.