• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Inerrancy of the Bible and other Religious Texts

Fade

The Great Master Bates
AV1611 said:
We can't verify Math, Meterology, or History???

I can't take my strawman anywhere right now, he's laughing pretty hard.
Mmm, i think sarcasm and irony might be a little beyond your grasp.

Here, I'll make it simple. Anything that makes the claim of being historical, scientific, meterological or what have you, CAN be verified by external sources. It has to be or it can't make the claim. The Bible is only verifiable by the Bible...it's that circular logic thing (I'm sure we've gone over this before).

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Fade said:
Mmm, i think sarcasm and irony might be a little beyond your grasp.

Here, I'll make it simple. Anything that makes the claim of being historical, scientific, meterological or what have you, CAN be verified by external sources. It has to be or it can't make the claim. The Bible is only verifiable by the Bible...it's that circular logic thing (I'm sure we've gone over this before).
If you want to mention something we've gone over before, then use the terminology "I" used (unless you just like to post and hear yourself talk).

I said it was a CLOSED SYSTEM ... not Circular Logic.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Is it just me, or does anyone else feel this thread has degenerated into nitpicking?

Fade

The Great Master Bates
AV1611 said:
If you want to mention something we've gone over before, then use the terminology "I" used (unless you just like to post and hear yourself talk).

I said it was a CLOSED SYSTEM ... not Circular Logic.
You say tomato...I say...It's the same thing!!

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Fade said:
You say tomato...I say...It's the same thing!!
Fade, you said we were being repetetive by calling the Bible circular reasoning, thus trying to make it look like I used that term, when in fact, YOU used it. I called it a Closed System.

A CLOSED SYSTEM is a viable operating system.

CIRCULAR LOGIC is false logic based on the conclusion being based on the points therein.

I would never use the term circular logic when describing the Bible.

Fade

The Great Master Bates
AV1611 said:
Fade, you said we were being repetetive by calling the Bible circular reasoning, thus trying to make it look like I used that term, when in fact, YOU used it. I called it a Closed System.

CIRCULAR LOGIC is false logic based on the conclusion being based on the points therein.

:rolleyes: Whether you use the term or not is irrelavant. You are using circular logic.
Using quotes from the Bible to validate your beliefs about the bible. End of story.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Fade said:
:rolleyes: Whether you use the term or not is irrelavant. You are using circular logic.
Using quotes from the Bible to validate your beliefs about the bible. End of story.
Would you rather I use quotes from the Encyclopedia to validate the Bible???

I'm lost as to what point you're making.

I believe the Bible, therefore I quote the Bible.

If I showed you my Birth Certificate to prove I exist, is that CIRCULAR LOGIC?

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
AV1611 said:

Maybe you can help us understand what you mean if you explain the difference between "A CLOSED SYSTEM" and "CIRCULAR LOGIC". What makes a "closed system" a viable operating system and not just another way of saying "circular reasoning"?

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
AV1611 said:

No, because one validates the other. You're using the Bible to validate the Bible. That is circular logic.

Fade

The Great Master Bates
AV1611 said:
Would you rather I use quotes from the Encyclopedia to validate the Bible???

I'm lost as to what point you're making.

I believe the Bible, therefore I quote the Bible.

No because they (you and the certificate) are two seperate entities that validate each other. You are using the bible to validate the bible.

edit ^^^ maize how did you get that response in so quickly? :D

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
AV1611 said:
CIRCULAR LOGIC is false logic based on the conclusion being based on the points therein. I would never use the term circular logic when describing the Bible.
Nor would I.

I would, however, use circular logic to describe your defense of biblical inerrancy because that is precisely what it is: "my bible is inerrent because my bible says that my bible is inerrant."

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Maize said:
Maybe you can help us understand what mean if you explain the difference between "A CLOSED SYSTEM" and "CIRCULAR LOGIC". What makes a "closed system" a viable operating system and not just another way of saying "circular reasoning"?
Maybe I'll just pass, but thanks for the offer.

You'll have to ask whomever brought up circular logic that question (I can't remember who used it), because he said I was used it. I don't even understand it completely. I used the term CLOSED SYSTEM.

If, in fact, a CLOSED SYSTEM and CIRCULAR LOGIC are one and the same, then fine, I've learned something.

You say tomato, I say tomatto.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Fade said:
No because they (you and the certificate) are two seperate entities that validate each other. You are using the bible to validate the bible.

edit ^^^ maize how did you get that response in so quickly? :D
Fine with me, Fade. The thing is though, there are so many outside sources used to validate the Bible, that I just thought you'd be interested in seeing the Bible validate itself. But if not, well, that's the beauty of the Bible. Wether it's self-validating or external-validating, either way, it's validated.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
It seems to me that believing the bible is inerrant comes down to making a leap of faith that the bible is inerrant, rather than to any convincing evidence that the bible is inerrant. I think that making that leap of faith is legitimate, so long as one recognizes and acknowledges what one is doing. The problem I have is when one makes that leap of faith, yet declares that one's view is based on evidence rather than a simple leap of faith. That seems to me to be self deception.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
AV1611 said:
The thing is though, there are so many outside sources used to validate the Bible, that I just thought you'd be interested in seeing the Bible validate itself.
The Tanach is many things, including myth, folklore, poetry, civil code, and political propaganda. To the best of my knowledge, there is no (nada, zip, zero) "outside sources" validating its mythic/theological elements.

Fade

The Great Master Bates
AV1611 said:
Fine with me, Fade. The thing is though, there are so many outside sources used to validate the Bible, that I just thought you'd be interested in seeing the Bible validate itself. But if not, well, that's the beauty of the Bible. Wether it's self-validating or external-validating, either way, it's validated.
I see no evidence for validation of biblical inerancy and I'm sorry, but I just can't take your word for it. I'm too much of a skeptic for that.