• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Inequality: Blue or Red States

InChrist

Free4ever
Are Democrats or Republicans fueling inequality?

“What do Democrats actually do when they have all the power?" Times video journalist Johnny Harris asked at the outset of an opinion video posted by the paper last week.

Harris teamed up with Times editorial board writer Binyamin Appelbaum to examine why famously liberal states — such as New York, California, and Washington — struggle to advance the progressive policies despite little to no Republican opposition.

They focused on three core initiatives of the Democratic Party platform: affordable housing, economic equality, and educational opportunity. And in the end, they discovered that "liberal hypocrisy," not Republican opposition, "is fueling American inequality" and that things are actually much worse in blue states than they are in red.”
NY Times journalists explore what happens when Democrats have all the power, find out 'blue states are the problem'

Orbit

I'm a planet

“What do Democrats actually do when they have all the power?" Times video journalist Johnny Harris asked at the outset of an opinion video posted by the paper last week.

Harris teamed up with Times editorial board writer Binyamin Appelbaum to examine why famously liberal states — such as New York, California, and Washington — struggle to advance the progressive policies despite little to no Republican opposition.

They focused on three core initiatives of the Democratic Party platform: affordable housing, economic equality, and educational opportunity. And in the end, they discovered that "liberal hypocrisy," not Republican opposition, "is fueling American inequality" and that things are actually much worse in blue states than they are in red.”
NY Times journalists explore what happens when Democrats have all the power, find out 'blue states are the problem'

Red states receive far more Federal funding for relief-type programs than Blue states do.

amorphous_constellation

I think with something as complicated as that, a] or b] isn't doing anything of the greatest magnitude. There are probably a whole slew of things coming before they even get to the filters of a and b. More and more high resolution detail comes in on the whys

By that I mean that as to advantages and disadvantages of the societal environment at any given moment in history, these exist independently of the 'opinion level'

Last edited:

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member

Last week I watched most of that video. Most of it was about California. The trouble in California was that homeowners kept voting for resolutions which undermined attempts to allow for more home building. He pointed out that this seemed hypocritical since California was a heavily democrat state.

I'd say it was inconclusive about which politicians were more hypocritical, however as a wake up call to Californians I'd say it was important journalism.

InChrist

Free4ever
Last week I watched most of that video. Most of it was about California. The trouble in California was that homeowners kept voting for resolutions which undermined attempts to allow for more home building. He pointed out that this seemed hypocritical since California was a heavily democrat state.

I'd say it was inconclusive about which politicians were more hypocritical, however as a wake up call to Californians I'd say it was important journalism.
Thanks for your perspective. Yes, there was focus on California. There’s plenty of money in California, too, which could be used by those to practice what they say they believe about equality. There are so many homeless and poverty stricken people in California now.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member

My take...and this is from a distance, so take it with a grain of salt...is that the Dems get too caught up in ideological issues at times. Simple pragmatic steps focused on working class access to housing, health and education, combined with increased access to employment and vocational training should be their focus, imho.

Biden has actually shown some signs of understanding this, I believe, at least in his best moments. He's also mis-stepped at times, and been forced to accommodate factions, etc.

Plenty to look at in their own yard.

This is no way should be taken as an endorsement of current Republican posturing, which commonly looks like a game of brinkmanship with little care for collateral damage, to me.

F1fan

Veteran Member
Thanks for your perspective. Yes, there was focus on California. There’s plenty of money in California, too, which could be used by those to practice what they say they believe about equality. There are so many homeless and poverty stricken people in California now.
One reason is that it is warm there most of the year. Cold is very difficult for the homeless.

If you were homeless in January would you prefer Michigan or California?

InChrist

Free4ever
My take...and this is from a distance, so take it with a grain of salt...is that the Dems get too caught up in ideological issues at times. Simple pragmatic steps focused on working class access to housing, health and education, combined with increased access to employment and vocational training should be their focus, imho.

Biden has actually shown some signs of understanding this, I believe, at least in his best moments. He's also mis-stepped at times, and been forced to accommodate factions, etc.

Plenty to look at in their own yard.

This is no way should be taken as an endorsement of current Republican posturing, which commonly looks like a game of brinkmanship with little care for collateral damage, to me.
Thanks for your take.I think all politicians; Democrat or Republican need to spend more time looking in there own yard and being public servants.

InChrist

Free4ever
One reason is that it is warm there most of the year. Cold is very difficult for the homeless.

If you were homeless in January would you prefer Michigan or California?
Yes, I realize that, but that is an important reality you bring up.

InChrist

Free4ever
I imagine if I had adequate survival skills, I'd prefer the midwest, then you can you avoid the massive camps and go under the radar, but most people here seriously risk freezing to death
Truly a difficult and terrible situation for homeless people in cold climate areas.

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member

As far as California is concerned, they're not wrong that housing is of course ridiculously expensive here. And NIMBYism is a real problem causing it. We need to build much more housing - affordable, multi-family unit housing - much more quickly than we are.

Hold

Abducted Member
Premium Member
There has been the tendency to switch back and forth. However, the present governor just won his second term, Gov.Murphy is a democrat.As far as being purple you may be correct. Philadelphia, a democrat city and New York city, do have a definite impact on New Jersey as far as economy. I believe you are correct, actually, about which column New jersey fits best, purple.

We Never Know

No Slack

Yet color isn't supposed to matter..:confused:

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member

NIMBYism does indeed exist in CA (and in other states as well). I've seen homeowners show up to oppose a youth center because it would lower property values and young criminals would frequent it. Homeowners have shown up to oppose dog parks because they don't like barking.

But CA is tackling the problem of supply with significant legislation. One ended zoning requiring only single family homes. Another allows for the elimination of building permit red tape:

California is ending a rule that helped cause its housing crisis
Gov. Newsom signed bills ending single-family-only zoning, a step toward addressing the housing crisis.

That change was part of a suite of housing production bills Newsom signed into law on Thursday, continuing a years-long trend of California pushing forward as one of the few states attempting to tackle the housing supply crisis.

From the link:

SB 8 extends the Housing Crisis Act of 2019 to jumpstart more housing production

SB 9 gives homeowners additional tools to add critically needed new housing and help ease California’s housing shortage

SB 10 establishes voluntary, streamlined process for cities to zone for multi-unit housing — making it easier and faster to construct housing

amorphous_constellation

I'm not pro industry/population growth, though I wouldn't want to illegalize the camps, out of a sense of humanitarianism. The country is sort of at population capacity

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

Both are. Neither has any unifying qualities whatsoever for the common good of everyone.