• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

INDISPUTABLE Rational Proof That God Exists (Or Existed)

1robin

Christian/Baptist
[/FONT][/COLOR]
If the debate is about what grounds morality and your position is that God grounds it, then isn't assuming God exists just as pointless? I could just as easily say morality is measured objectively against an unknown substance called Moralimite (similar to midichlorian) that I'll simply assume exists.
Well it might not be ideal, but what it is. It also is exactly what MUST be done in any discussion of this type. If I wanted to know what grounds morality I would consider the existence of whatever is a reasonable candidate and especially the best and maybe only candidate. It is only your side that rules out God and the supernatural and then answers questions about God. Sam Harris was forced to do an even more extreme example of this. He first assumed objective moral values existed and then assumed science has an answer for them. I have no problem with the first but the second was the whole point Craig was making. Science can't possibly ground morality, it has no potentiality to create objective morals and that was the issue. Harris assumed his way past the issue. BTW your moralmite concept is better than what Harris came up with. If you had significant reason to believe moralamites existed then I would have no objection whatever to their being considered for morality. If the only evidence was that moralamites were said to have been experience by billions of people then by all means debate them. I would never question the assumption only the quality of the evidence and argumentation, given their existence. The assumption or allowance is unavoidable. Your side assumes evolution mold behavior without proof and I do not question that assumption. Science assumes dark matter (and dark matter has no evidence and is not even a quantifiable substance) to explain galaxy characteristics. I not only do not object I agree with the concept.
So God killing every living being except for Noah and his family is not a significant issue for you?
I can't think of too many more significant issues. However it is not a significant problem.
1. This story may be allegorical and I have no way to determine it.
2. Even if literal there is more than enough justification found in the context, God's character, and purposes that are inseparable from the story to explain it. If context is not surgically removed from the story then moral justification exists for God's actions though they grieved him terribly.
3. Given the severity of our crimes it is quite a wonder that God does not wipe out large groups of us at many times in history.
4. I have been told that since God would not wipe out the Nazi's, Stalin, or even just Jeffry Dahmer, then he was evil. However you and others say if he does wipe out a completely corrupt generation of people that he is evil as well. Heads you win tails God looses is an incoherent argument.

1robin

Christian/Baptist
Here's what Leviticus 25:44-46 says:

This verse specifically refers to them as "slaves for life" and property which may be inherited by their children. No mention of contracts or eventual freedom when a debt is repaid or 6 years, which was reserved for only for their fellow Israelites. The people who lived in Persia in 300 BC routinely made slaves of the people they conquered and the Bible explicitly condones it.

I am so hung up currently that I can't do this justice. I think you may bright, I do not remember these specific verses from the past month of discussing slavery. I will at this time give you a very good link to an exhaustive source on Biblical slavery as a whole I found well written and when I have time look into these verses in depth. http://bibleapologetics.wordpress.com/slavery-in-the-bible-25/

Look at the blogs at the bottom of the site. It looks like they cover those verse in detail. Sorry, work calls. You may certainly remind me if I get side tracked.

Skeptisch

I believe all these are about the same event.
Who cares?

One of the great advantages of living in today’s world is that most of us have access to the newest information and knowledge. It is hard to understand why anyone would choose ignorance over knowledge. Why not study the magic of the real world and find out what is really true, instead of hanging on to authority, tradition and revelation.

Why not discard the fables of murderous old gods in favour of a religion old or new, that stressed the magnificence of the universe as revealed by modern science? It might be able to draw forth reserves of reverence and awe hardly tapped by the conventional faiths. Sooner or later, such a religion will emerge.

1robin

Christian/Baptist
Who cares?
One of the great advantages of living in today’s world is that most of us have access to the newest information and knowledge. It is hard to understand why anyone would choose ignorance over knowledge. Why not study the magic of the real world and find out what is really true, instead of hanging on to authority, tradition and revelation.
You mean the omniscient modern wisdom that has denied God and filled the vacuum with the abortion of millions of innocent babies a year, the ability to wipe out all life as we know it several times over and the moral insanity to almost do so at least twice, school shootings, gang violence, diseases spread by the sacred right of homosexuality that kill millions and even those that do not practice it and cost all of us billions, etc.... You may consider this progress I consider it the rape of the moral landscape.

Why not discard the fables of murderous old gods in favor of a religion old or new, that stressed the magnificence of the universe as revealed by modern science? It might be able to draw forth reserves of reverence and awe hardly tapped by the conventional faiths. Sooner or later, such a religion will emerge.
Science is completely impotent to answer or even begin to answer the most profound issues of life. There is little that will emerge that has not already existed. The last time the Godless wisdom of man reigned supreme it was so bad they had to all be wiped out to prevent a thousand generations of evil we have never witnessed. We can see the warning signs of our secular society heading down that same road again just as John the revelator predicted, only this time the retribution will be permanent. Might as well fight the tide and what is funny is the hoped for emancipation is what is and will bring on the catastrophe and the God we rejected’s response. Modern man is basically digging his own grave and writing the prescription of his own doom. I do not usually post revelation material but the tone of your post opened the door for it.

camanintx

I am so hung up currently that I can't do this justice. I think you may bright, I do not remember these specific verses from the past month of discussing slavery. I will at this time give you a very good link to an exhaustive source on Biblical slavery as a whole I found well written and when I have time look into these verses in depth. http://bibleapologetics.wordpress.com/slavery-in-the-bible-25/

Look at the blogs at the bottom of the site. It looks like they cover those verse in detail. Sorry, work calls. You may certainly remind me if I get side tracked.
Bible apologetics can twist the language all they want to support their position, but Leviticus 25;46 specifically says of foreign slaves "they shall be your bondmen for ever", not just until their debt is paid.

Last edited:

camanintx

Well it might not be ideal, but what it is. It also is exactly what MUST be done in any discussion of this type. If I wanted to know what grounds morality I would consider the existence of whatever is a reasonable candidate and especially the best and maybe only candidate. It is only your side that rules out God and the supernatural and then answers questions about God.
If this were a scientific discussion about morality, then ruling out the supernatural would be proper because, by definition, the supernatural has no place in science. But since we're having a philosophical discussion and no one has ruled out anything, your complaint is way off base. I dismiss your claim that God is the basis of morality because by your own admission you cannot prove that there is a God so you simply assume it.

Your side assumes evolution mold behavior without proof and I do not question that assumption. Science assumes dark matter (and dark matter has no evidence and is not even a quantifiable substance) to explain galaxy characteristics. I not only do not object I agree with the concept.
Claiming there is no evidence of dark matter illustrates how little you know about the subject and science in general. Since theology habitually assumes an answer then goes looking for the evidence supporting it, I can see why you would be confused. Cosmologists were perfectly happy with the idea that what we see is all that there is. It wasn't until experiments showed that matter was behaving as if there was something else out there that the idea of "dark matter" was born. True, we don't know anything about it, but we do know that it is there.

Likewise, biologists were satisfied with the idea that all species began in their present form until the evidence started indicating otherwise. Darwin didn't just dream up his Theory of Evolution and then go looking for the evidence, that's what apologists do. The evidence for evolution was right in front of him the whole time and has only gotten stronger in the 150 years since.

I have been told that since God would not wipe out the Nazi's, Stalin, or even just Jeffry Dahmer, then he was evil. However you and others say if he does wipe out a completely corrupt generation of people that he is evil as well. Heads you win tails God looses is an incoherent argument.
It's the incoherence between these positions which shows that your God cannot exist. On one hand you argue that God is eternal and knows the past, present and future, but you have no problem believing that the same God would be disappointed enough with man that it would destroy them all. This level of cognitive dissonance is simply astounding.

Skeptisch

You mean the omniscient modern wisdom that has denied God and filled the vacuum with the abortion of millions of innocent babies a year, the ability to wipe out all life as we know it several times over and the moral insanity to almost do so at least twice, school shootings, gang violence, diseases spread by the sacred right of homosexuality that kill millions and even those that do not practice it and cost all of us billions, etc.... You may consider this progress I consider it the rape of the moral landscape.
What a pessimistic sad sack you are :bible:

1robin

Christian/Baptist
What a pessimistic sad sack you are :bible:
Well that was certainly of the scholarly caliber I have come to expect from non-theists. Who could possibly argue with an argument this eloquent and meaningful? The amount of disciplined study required to formulate an argument this substantial must be significant. My attitude is not killing babies by the millions, it is not driving God out of schools and even when Satin fills the vacuum and kids die by the hundreds in shootings unheard of when God was still on campus, his advice is still not heeded, and pessimism did not create the atheistic Stalin who by denying God denied the only source capable of justifying the sanctity of life, the absence of which renders human beings little more that biological anomalies and why not kill 20 million of them. If I am pessimistic then complain to yourself, it is your side that created my pessimism in your omniscient march into moral oblivion. The issue deserves better scholarship than this.

Last edited:

PolyHedral

Superabacus Mystic
You mean the omniscient modern wisdom that has denied God and filled the vacuum with the abortion of millions of innocent babies a year, the ability to wipe out all life as we know it several times over and the moral insanity to almost do so at least twice, school shootings, gang violence, diseases spread by the sacred right of homosexuality that kill millions and even those that do not practice it and cost all of us billions, etc.... You may consider this progress I consider it the rape of the moral landscape
Would you like a small polio infection to make up for it? :D

Skeptisch

The issue deserves better scholarship than this.
(Scholarship = knowledge acquired by study)

Well said. May I suggest looking into the stars on a clear night? It may check your verbal diarrhea and replace it with intellectual honesty. You might even begin to understand evolution and that we are all connected. You may realise that there is no others side, just us, you and me and everyone else, trying to find out what is really true.

Happy Easter to all of you.

[youtube]XGK84Poeynk[/youtube]
Symphony of Science - 'We Are All Connected' (ft. Sagan, Feynman, deGrasse Tyson & Bill Nye) - YouTube

1robin

Christian/Baptist
Would you like a small polio infection to make up for it? :D
I guess the implication being that if modern progress is saddled with the moral insanity that is obviously the cause of or if science is ever challenged then everything modern or scientific of any type must be thrown out. I do not agree. Science like almost everything, has it's good points. Unlike many other things it is also infected with arrogance, given the status of "sacredness" or "omniscience" which it has never earned, and claimed to explain things well outside it's domain. As for Polio. Polio like many diseases, fields of science, and moral advancement has at it's core a man of faith.

Men of faith in a Biblical God have cured polio, invented penicillin, and created entire fields of science themselves in which these cures and countless other breakthroughs have occurred.

It is not valid argument to find a good thing science has done and insist it is a counter claim to a claim I never made, that no science is good (which I never indicated nor have never even thought). When in the hospital I rely on science and God especially since a large portion of the science used to heal was invented by men of God.

1robin

Christian/Baptist
Bible apologetics can twist the language all they want to support their position, but Leviticus 25;46 specifically says of foreign slaves "they shall be your bondmen for ever", not just until their debt is paid.
Anyone can read the verse, it is only someone with an open mind that will actually investigate the issue in depth until a resolution concerning context, method, and purpose is determined. I do not see any indication the you have spent any time researching what is going on behind the literal interpretation of these Bible verses. It also appears if anything is thought to challenge your valued and sacred interpretations, that allow for dismissal of something undesired then it is ignored and criticized without justification. Given this is the case then I wonder if any answer I gave no matter how accurate and explanitory, if not convenient, would ever be properly considered. However before the denial can occur, I have to know what the conclusion is from your premise, then and only then can I supply what will be instantly rejected based on preference.

Every one Knows that slavery existed in OT times. You give a verse concerning it but no conclusion has been given. I have never said that OT slavery was only restricted to servitude with the exception of the verses that concern it (the vast majority was however of this type). What is it you claim your verses prove?

1robin

Christian/Baptist
If this were a scientific discussion about morality, then ruling out the supernatural would be proper because, by definition, the supernatural has no place in science. But since we're having a philosophical discussion and no one has ruled out anything, your complaint is way off base. I dismiss your claim that God is the basis of morality because by your own admission you cannot prove that there is a God so you simply assume it.
Can you prove dark matter exists. Science has a far greater burden that faith yet allows its self far more indulgence than it will permit for faith. Unless you can show dark matter, strings, pathogenesis, and multiverse exist then the argument is academic and I dismiss your claims on far greater grounds than you do mine.

Claiming there is no evidence of dark matter illustrates how little you know about the subject and science in general. Since theology habitually assumes an answer then goes looking for the evidence supporting it, I can see why you would be confused. Cosmologists were perfectly happy with the idea that what we see is all that there is. It wasn't until experiments showed that matter was behaving as if there was something else out there that the idea of "dark matter" was born. True, we don't know anything about it, but we do know that it is there.
Oh boy, the trusty old Christians are too stupid or ignorant to understand just how omniscient science is never gets old. Dark matter like God is non detectable and derived by inference. I think God a vastly more substantial theory because the concept existed long before these questions did. Dark matter is a term used as a place holder for whatever explains certain anomalies found in cosmology. It isn't even a theoretical thing, it is at this time nothing, no - thing. Whatever weird process is holding the galaxies together will be used as the definition for the term dark matter. At present there is no quantifiable dark matter substance known. I believe their is something holding the galaxies together and calling in dark mater is fine with me but there is a vast difference in the validity of these two concepts.

Both in the case of dark matter and God we are positing a theoretical concept to explain effects in the natural which at present have no known traditional cause.
1. Dark matter was simply invented out of this air as a concept to meet a need.
2. God was a pre-existant concept (intuitively believed in by 90% of humanity throughout the ages) that preexisted the needs of cosmology, morality, and meaning. We unlike science did not invent the concept of God to meet a modern need.

Likewise, biologists were satisfied with the idea that all species began in their present form until the evidence started indicating otherwise. Darwin didn't just dream up his Theory of Evolution and then go looking for the evidence, that's what apologists do. The evidence for evolution was right in front of him the whole time and has only gotten stronger in the 150 years since.
Well Darwin should have simply read the Bible. It records that evolution occurs over 3000 years ago. You were right to say the evidence was right before Darwin's eyes but evolution while being more understood has vast gaping problems which no natural solution is even a theoretical candidate at this time. Nothing in nature explains the Cambrian explosion of how life formed in some mud puddle with a lightening strike. Evolution far from being an argument against God confirms what he said long ago and has brought to light an entirely new field of study for which only with him could we ever get what we have.

Apologists do not invent anything in general, they have no need. Our answers unlike science are not formulated to meet the needs of the question. They were pre-existant and simply shown how they explain things. I did no have to invent God to combat bad science. God existed prior to all science and only given a God is science even possible.

It's the incoherence between these positions which shows that your God cannot exist. On one hand you argue that God is eternal and knows the past, present and future, but you have no problem believing that the same God would be disappointed enough with man that it would destroy them all. This level of cognitive dissonance is simply astounding.
If I have a child that I know is rebellious and will choose wrong it does not make his choices any less heartbreaking. I am really getting sick of these garbage claims, that faith is stupid. The arrogance it takes to claim that millions of the greatest minds in history who had faith are all idiots, and that you have the all mighty capacity to sit in judgment of the faith of billions is simply reprehensible. Even in my post virulent atheism days I would have never, ever, done this. If my claims rested on the idea that Davinci, Newton, Pasteur, Faraday, Maxwell, Greenleaf, Lydhurst, Sandage, Collins etc.... ad infinitum were all idiots, I would be too embarrassed to say so.

1robin

Christian/Baptist
(Scholarship = knowledge acquired by study)

Well said. May I suggest looking into the stars on a clear night? It may check your verbal diarrhea and replace it with intellectual honesty. You might even begin to understand evolution and that we are all connected. You may realise that there is no others side, just us, you and me and everyone else, trying to find out what is really true.

Happy Easter to all of you.

[youtube]XGK84Poeynk[/youtube]
Symphony of Science - 'We Are All Connected' (ft. Sagan, Feynman, deGrasse Tyson & Bill Nye) - YouTube
Wow, the unholy trinity. Even before I was a believer Sagen struck me as one odd duck. Degrass is an attention and camera hog, and Nye is an example of the type of person you never leave children alone with. I am not sure this was the best choice as an example of what scholarship is. I would have gone with Newton or Sandage but that would have been inconsistent with your intentions. and Throughout the centuries people have looked at the sky and in the vast majority it produced the exact diametrically opposed conclusion that you reached. I was in the middle of the Atlantic on a carrier and even as an atheist, looking at the sky with no light or literal pollution, produced an impression of the transcendent. I can't imagine a soul so devoid of wonder and the transcendent that thinks the vast expanse and beauty of space is evidence that there is no God. That is truly hard to reckon with.

Happy Easter to you as well.

Azekual

Lost
Here's the thing about God. He may exist or he may not. That's as close as we can get to an answer. You could even argue that he exists if You want him to. There is no proof positive or negative of God's existence. Believe if you wish, but know that faith does not equal fact.

camanintx

Anyone can read the verse, it is only someone with an open mind that will actually investigate the issue in depth until a resolution concerning context, method, and purpose is determined.
There's a saying "keep an open mind, but not so open that your brains fall out." The problem with all of the linguistic gymnastics apologetics perform to justify the Bible is that they can be applied equally well to any other document. If the Bible is the inspired word of God, then why shouldn't we take it literally?

Every one Knows that slavery existed in OT times. You give a verse concerning it but no conclusion has been given. I have never said that OT slavery was only restricted to servitude with the exception of the verses that concern it (the vast majority was however of this type). What is it you claim your verses prove?
This verse proves that the Bible condoned slavery, and not the watered down version you call servitude, but the life long possession of another human being.

F0uad

Here's the thing about God. He may exist or he may not. That's as close as we can get to an answer. You could even argue that he exists if You want him to. There is no proof positive or negative of God's existence. Believe if you wish, but know that faith does not equal fact.

Can beauty, love, morals or values been proven with science? No, yet you consider them to be real. Science cant approach many things yet we consider History and many other things to be true and in existences, why can't a or The God?

I have yet to hear one strong argument against the existences of God, i have heard many in favor of a(the) God.

camanintx

Can you prove dark matter exists. Science has a far greater burden that faith yet allows its self far more indulgence than it will permit for faith. Unless you can show dark matter, strings, pathogenesis, and multiverse exist then the argument is academic and I dismiss your claims on far greater grounds than you do mine.
Thanks for affording me the opportunity to use one of my favorite sayings, "proof is for alcohol and mathematics." Science is about evidence and unless all of our theories on gravity are wrong, the evidence tells us there is something out there besides what we can see. The fundamental difference I see between theoretical dark matter and your theory that God did it, is that dark matter doesn't involve any logical contradictions.

Hufflechuff

Can beauty, love, morals or values been proven with science? No, yet you consider them to be real. Science cant approach many things yet we consider History and many other things to be true and in existences, why can't a or The God?

I have yet to hear one strong argument against the existences of God, i have heard many in favor of a(the) God.

Love, morals, values are feelings. They do not exist as an entity. You cannot say "Morals gave His only son".