• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

in the last 52 yrs, dems created more private sector jobs

gnomon

And here I thought that changing technologies were what created or destroyed jobs.

If only I had been naive enough to believe it was Republicans or Democrats I could get on the same page.

Oh shucks.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
And here I thought that changing technologies were what created or destroyed jobs.

If only I had been naive enough to believe it was Republicans or Democrats I could get on the same page.

Oh shucks.
You really don't believe that domestic policy has anything to do with job creation?

gnomon

You really don't believe that domestic policy has anything to do with job creation?

Not to the extent that dividing job creation into partisan politics does.

Many people applaud Clinton for job creation in the 90's when a temporary tech bubble was created. The mechanization of manufacturing was far more influential in the status of jobs than any President during that time. Today we see the online proliferation of services taking away jobs from brick and mortar retailers that has not even been addressed by any President.

As far as domestic policies affecting the taxation of business driving business overseas that has more to do with your elected Congressional leaders than any President. They are the ones writing and passing the tax code. Just because it winds up on a Presidents desk to be signed, which it will be regardless of party, doesn't mean the POTUS held the ultimate influence. Both parties have been complicit in writing current laws that have driven U.S. businesses to seek overseas labor and foreign tax shelters.

So no. I don't find any POTUS as being that influential in the economy merely by pointing to a time frame, an economic situation and looking at which party held the top most seat at that time.

edit: But remember Storm, my own disclaimer on economics. I'm an idiot when it comes to economics. It might be the Bud talking as I wait for my pizza to cook.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass

Many people applaud Clinton for job creation in the 90's when a temporary tech bubble was created. The mechanization of manufacturing was far more influential in the status of jobs than any President during that time. Today we see the online proliferation of services taking away jobs from brick and mortar retailers that has not even been addressed by any President.

As far as domestic policies affecting the taxation of business driving business overseas that has more to do with your elected Congressional leaders than any President. They are the ones writing and passing the tax code. Just because it winds up on a Presidents desk to be signed, which it will be regardless of party, doesn't mean the POTUS held the ultimate influence. Both parties have been complicit in writing current laws that have driven U.S. businesses to seek overseas labor and foreign tax shelters.

So no. I don't find any POTUS as being that influential in the economy merely by pointing to a time frame, an economic situation and looking at which party held the top most seat at that time.
I don't think anyone said that the POTUS is solely responsible, but they're not impotent figureheads, either.

edit: But remember Storm, my own disclaimer on economics. I'm an idiot when it comes to economics. It might be the Bud talking as I wait for my pizza to cook.
HEE! Yeah, me too.

Alceste

Vagabond

It doesn't HAVE to be a partisan issue, but in the US you have one party driven by an ideology that taxes must always be reduced, and regulation always rescinded, no matter what the economic implications of this policy might be. Lost jobs, massive deficits and increasing debt, rusting income inequality, homelessness and poverty,doesn't matter. All roads lead to tax cuts and deregulation. The other party actually looks at the economic situation and tries to come up with realistic solutions, based on evidence and (what they believe to be) sound advice. They take history into account and consider what is working in other parts of the world. They sometimes listen to academics.

It's no surprise to me that the party who actually tries to positively influence the economy does better at creating jobs than the party who simply uses public office to pursue a dogmatic agenda where every problem has the same solution, and they don't really care whether it actually works.

As a side note, we should also take direct government job creation into account. Education, infrastructure, health care, funding for the arts and sciences, all these initiatives that governments undertake when they are feeling flush with tax revenue, they all create jobs. NASA created jobs. Good ones, too. Not much funding available for those sorts of jobs now, thanks to irresponsible tax policies.

Dirty Penguin

Master Of Ceremony
It doesn't HAVE to be a partisan issue, but in the US you have one party driven by an ideology that taxes must always be reduced, and regulation always rescinded, no matter what the economic implications of this policy might be. Lost jobs, massive deficits and increasing debt, rusting income inequality, homelessness and poverty,doesn't matter. All roads lead to tax cuts and deregulation. The other party actually looks at the economic situation and tries to come up with realistic solutions, based on evidence and (what they believe to be) sound advice. They take history into account and consider what is working in other parts of the world. They sometimes listen to academics.

It's no surprise to me that the party who actually tries to positively influence the economy does better at creating jobs than the party who simply uses public office to pursue a dogmatic agenda where every problem has the same solution, and they don't really care whether it actually works.

As a side note, we should also take direct government job creation into account. Education, infrastructure, health care, funding for the arts and sciences, all these initiatives that governments undertake when they are feeling flush with tax revenue, they all create jobs. NASA created jobs. Good ones, too. Not much funding available for those sorts of jobs now, thanks to irresponsible tax policies.

Right. It makes me think of this here......

Tax Increases to Reduce Deficit Will Help, Not Hurt, Growth - Economic Intelligence (usnews.com)

econintel_010502.jpg

:D

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member

Exactly! That's something I always fail to understand about conservative economic policy. Their concept that taxes destroy job creation, and the lower the taxes the better the jobs outlook should be, is easily disproven. There doesn't seem to be much correlation with the rate of taxes and the health of the economy and rate of job creation. Taxes used to be much higher than they are right now-- we are at historic lows-- and yet jobs aren't being created faster now than they were under higher taxes.

They are claiming that Obama's policies have failed to turn around unemployment, but the fact is that right now we are trying out their policy of lower taxes and it's not working either.

Dirty Penguin

Master Of Ceremony
They are claiming that Obama's policies have failed to turn around unemployment

And I'm still trying to figure out what these "failed policies" are. Employment is on the rise. When you come into a situation where you're hemorrhaging hundreds of thousands of jobs a month recovery and job growth is going to be slow. The president said it would take a while even before he was elected. No one, other than Republicans who want to blame the President for the mess they put us in are complaining that he hasn't fixed their screw up fast enough. So now their basically saying...(he hasn't hasn't cleaned up our mess fast enough so you should put us back in to put our policies back in place and it will all be good...trust us.)

Romney says he can produce 12 million jobs by the end of his first term. The forecast sides with both The President's and Romney. So basically Romney's claim is nothing more than hot air designed to confused those who aren't interested in the facts.

Factchecker: Romney’s ’12 million jobs’ promise
"Moody’s Analytics, in an August forecast, predicts 12 million jobs will be created by 2016, no matter who is president."

The stock market is close to being at it's all time high. The housing market is rebounding. I have a list of Obama accomplishment that seem to be benefiting many Americans...including the naysayers.

Last edited: