• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

In The Beginning, Man Created God

Wise8231

“The unknown is always either feared or worshiped.”
- Unknown Contextomy
If you are a theist and you’re reading this I would say with much confidence that you don’t worship Zeus, or Thor, or any of the ancient gods from the early civilizations of man. Why? Why were these ideas dismissed as time went on? The explanation is staring you in the face. It was because science has steadily overturned the superstitions of these religions. Such as why there are changes in the seasons, or the currents in the ocean. Both of which had been explained by religious belief in Greek mythology. Now we have an explanation for both of these. Why? Because of science, and its progression in steadily filling in the holes of the unknown. Unlike religion, science doesn’t stare wide-eyed at the unknown and say “Well, God must have done it.” Science takes the unknown and puts it to the test.

Next we’ll start off with the architecture of the human mind, and the pieces that generate religious belief. An organism is an integrated collection of problem solving devices, adaptations if you want to call them that, that were shaped by natural selection over evolutionary time to promote, in some specific way, the survival of genes that directed their construction. The heart solves the problem of pumping blood, hemoglobin solves the problem of transporting oxygen, the lungs solve the problem of extracting oxygen from the air. These statements above can also be put into perspective and looked at about the human mind. The mind is nature’s computer, which has evolved through millions of years, and through the common ancestors of H. erectus and H. neanderthalensis, that supports human intelligence. These problem solvers spur off superstition as a by-product. Now, what is a by-product? I’ll give you an example: Reading and Writing. None of us have reading or writing modules in our brains. It’s a by-product of fine motor-skills, vision, and the ability to produce complex thought. Reading and Writing is something that we can do because our minds have the indirect ability to complete these tasks. Religion is simply an artifact of our ability to imagine alternate social worlds, and our desire to conquer the unknown. However, the primitive cavemen didn’t have any explanation for how they got there, so they imagined that some higher being did it, the highest ideal, if you will.

Religion argues with science by generally saying “The chance that life could be supported without a designer is too small, or impossible. And that it had to have been God that created life.” Well, say somehow there were no planets, we just drifted in space, but space had air, the strong force, and the weak force. And we conducted our lives without gravity, and we knew how to do this because we had adapted to do so over time. It is quite obvious that you don’t need gravity to survive, obviously it isn’t as healthy has having gravity, but you can survive it. Plus you have to take in to account that if humans had been evolved that way their bodies would be much more accustomed to living without gravity. It is a simple fact that humans could live without gravity, as they do on trips to the moon, and on manned-observation satellites. I just took out 1 of the 3 fundamental interactions, and human life could still be supported.

Next we’ll go into intuitive reasoning, something which everyone has. An example of this would be: you could mistake a shadow for a burglar. But you would never mistake a burglar for a shadow. This is what we would call Minimally Counterintuitive Worlds, or MCI’s. This is an optimal compromise between the interesting, and the expected. And it gives us attention arresting, and memorable thoughts. Let me illustrate for you: If I were to tell you a tree could do your taxes, reprogram your computer, and do you laundry, you would undoubtedly not believe me. However, if I tell you that the same tree, on the night of a full moon, will hear your wishes and grant them, you might me more vulnerable to believing me. All supernatural templates have these counterintuitive physical properties, such as God is just a guy, only with some alterations, and you fill in the blanks without thinking about it. With it there’s no violation of basic human assumption. It may have some counterintuitive biology, such as the virgin birth in Christianity, but other than that, Mary was otherwise, just a normal person. Possibly some counterintuitive psychology, such as God knows what I’m thinking. But if God were to know what I am thinking, then why would I have to pray to him? Why? Because those basic assumptions about humanness are all still intact. That’s why you start to believe it, and later ends up sticking in your head. You can look at any religious system, and it will always fit this model.

Moral Feeling Systems: Obviously religion just attacks these, there’s no denying it. Religion recruits the feelings of these to lend plausibility to a god. It uses these moral systems to link commitment mechanisms. And religious morality adds morally competent witness to one’s actions. There is a difference, in my opinion to morality and religious dogma though. Morality is doing what is right, regardless of what we are told. Religious dogma is doing what we are told, regardless of what is right. Something related to this is altruistic punishment, or the willingness to punish social cheats at a cost to ourselves. This is again a cognitive mechanism that all of us have. Suicide terrorism, although an extreme way of doing it, is an example of this.

Religious Rituals: these arise from threat response systems. If you’re a Christian, you obviously don’t want to go to hell. So you take part in the ritual of baptism, or the Sabbath. Both of which are compelling and rigidly scripted. Usually religious rituals have to do with cleansing or order. These religious rituals enable and elicit scrutiny of hard-to-fake signals of commitment. It helps the person partaking in the religious rituals communicate their intentions. Not to mention that they create hope, solace, excite, and entertain the mind. They also exploit the Gestalt Law of the Whole. An example of this would be that if you see a shape of a V of birds flying in the air, you mainly see the V. You don’t really pay much attention to the individual birds. It’s the same with religious groups. If a whole congregation of people participate in the same ritual, then it entices you to become more active in what is going on. Religion exploits this by creating attention arresting, memorable, and often intimidating sights.

More cognitive mechanisms that help us imagine God is confirmation bias, which is just the fact that you notice data that fits your beliefs. Such as “Mere” familiarity, which is similar to confirmation bias.
Children today are what keeps religion growing. Parents spoon-feed their children superstition and make it into the unshakable truth they see it as when they become adults. Children should be taught about ALL religions, and philosophies, and then be allowed to make their own decision. Children will blindly accept anything their parents tell them is true. This is obviously because they are still in a phase of mental expansion and growth. They do not have the capacity to question things as large as religion. Parents commonly teach and label children with their own mythology. Virtually all adults agree that children don’t have the intellectual capability to comprehend politics, or to know what party they stand for. Why, then, do we label our children with our view on the origin of life? Children absorb everything they hear, and it is child abuse to cherry pick certain morals from religious texts such as the bible and force them down a child’s throat, while ignoring other texts and phrases from the same and different views.

Overall, religious belief is a by-product used to entertain the mind. It has virtually no purpose in life and should not control people’s lives. Science has constantly torn down religious superstition and replaced it with either fact or a hypothesis based on evidence. Science and religion cannot live together when religion attempts to laugh in the face of science and ignore its discoveries. There is simply no such thing as “Creation Science” when creationism mocks science in almost every way. It’s real vs. fake, and only one side has evidence.

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friend wise8231,
Welcome to RF!

Agree that * In The Beginning, Man Created God*

Best Wishes.
Love & rgds

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
Seems you are more against the concept of taking mythologies as literal history, and structuring life around that. But religion DOES have a very definite purpose: the Spiritual Journey.

The Spiritual Journey is a personal one. The end goal has many definitions, but Buddhism, I think, has the most accurate word to describe it: enlightenment. What this means is the ability to see things the way they really are, without the filters of bias, desires, and the senses. Strict discipline is required to achieve this, and walking the Spiritual Journey to the fullest pretty much requires giving up all pleasures. I do try to walk this path, but I am held back by my desire for comfort and pleasure.

Granted, not everyone needs this Journey, and can live without it. Some can do it alone, or in small groups, without joining a religion. (My definition of "religion" is a large, organized group of people on a Spiritual Journey, as opposed to a "cult", which is a small group of people and typically unorganized.) Mythology is also not necessary for a Spiritual Journey, but it can help as an externalization. What I mean by that is the mythology is not meant to be taken literally, but symbolically: a fictional illustration of the Spiritual Journey.

This is one of the purposes of religion: a group of people sharing a Spiritual Journey, walking down a Path that they all agree upon. There are many Paths that lead to Enlightenment, but not all of them are for everyone. Buddhism teaches avoidance of Paths that make you feel trapped, and to instead walk down a Path that sets you free. Different Paths work for different people.

I'd like to point out that the goal of the Spiritual Journey is NOT personal comfort or security; the Journey is very painful and hard.

Hope that made sense. It wasn't as well-thought-out as your little essay. :D If something I said made no sense, please let me know and I'll try to explain it.

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friend Riverwolf,

Yes, what you have stated is mostly correct.

The following may need understanding:
I'd like to point out that the goal of the Spiritual Journey is NOT personal comfort or security; the Journey is very painful and hard.

There is no goal as one is already there except he does not realise it.
Those who try to understand / realize the *SELF* realize that there is nothing as *SELF* and they rise above all dualities of both pain / pleasure, hard / soft.
Those who realise or are enlightened are no more even taking any journey as there was no jouney to begin with.
Love & rgds

sandandfoam

Veteran Member
I

Overall, religious belief is a by-product used to entertain the mind. It has virtually no purpose in life

Maybe so for you friend but not for everyone.
I was at a very sad funeral yesterday. I watched a family bury their second son and brother to die young in tragic circumstances.
Their pain was difficult to behold. I do not share their religious beliefs but their religious beliefs are keeping them going at this awful time and as such have a most valuable purpose.

BucephalusBB

ABACABB
Hope that made sense. It wasn't as well-thought-out as your little essay. :D If something I said made no sense, please let me know and I'll try to explain it.
It's not that what you said made no sense.. It's more that I allready didn't know what "spiritual" really means and after your story I am even further from the truth :D

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
Actually, science (neurotheology, to be specific) has proven this false. We did not create God. Rather, God is the label given to a certain class of experiences.

Religion argues with science by generally saying “The chance that life could be supported without a designer is too small, or impossible. And that it had to have been God that created life.”
Um, no. Religion doesn't. Certain sects of a couple of religionS do. Please avoid lumping all believers together.

Moral Feeling Systems: Obviously religion just attacks these, there’s no denying it.
It's not obvious, I do deny it, and you utterly failed to support it.

Religious Rituals: these arise from threat response systems.
The need for ritual seems to me to be much more broad than this. Can you justify this assertion?

Children should be taught about ALL religions, and philosophies, and then be allowed to make their own decision.
Agreed, and that's exactly what my religion does. We don't, as you allege, "spoon feed them superstition." Again, your arguments are based on sweeping generalizations.

Overall, religious belief is a by-product used to entertain the mind. It has virtually no purpose in life
Disagree. Religion is an inevitable byproduct of the search to understand God, which is valid, though impossible.

Science has constantly torn down religious superstition and replaced it with either fact or a hypothesis based on evidence.
Science and theology should stop peeing on each others' territory. There is no inherent conflict.

Science and religion cannot live together when religion attempts to laugh in the face of science and ignore its discoveries.
Science, or rather scientists, are not blameless in the manufacturing of this false conflict.

There is simply no such thing as “Creation Science” when creationism mocks science in almost every way. It’s real vs. fake, and only one side has evidence.
Agreed, but I object to the implication that so-called Creation Science is in any way vital to religion.

BTW, you'd probably get better response if you posted shorter OPs. :)

OmarKhayyam

If something I said made no sense, please let me know and I'll try to explain it.

Granted, not everyone needs this Journey, and can live without it."

Can you explain WHY that is so?

Riverwolf

Premium Member
If something I said made no sense, please let me know and I'll try to explain it.

Granted, not everyone needs this Journey, and can live without it."

Can you explain WHY that is so?

I'll rephrase.

The Spiritual Journey is not essential for life; in my opinion, it is optional. The overall goal of the Journey differs from person to person and faith to faith, but generally falls under happiness and enlightenment, and not everyone desires this. I do, so I need the Spiritual Journey to achieve this.

Does that help?

OmarKhayyam

". . . but generally falls under happiness and enlightenment, and not everyone desires this. I do, so I need the Spiritual Journey to achieve this."

Not really.

That is a 'What' answer. NOT a why answer. You have this desire - why you? Why not others?

And most basic - why this desire - at all - ever - for anyone?

Riverwolf

Premium Member
". . . but generally falls under happiness and enlightenment, and not everyone desires this. I do, so I need the Spiritual Journey to achieve this."

Not really.

That is a 'What' answer. NOT a why answer. You have this desire - why you? Why not others?

And most basic - why this desire - at all - ever - for anyone?

To answer that question would require me to dig into my psychology and everything that influenced it.

That it something I can't do at the moment, as I only have a basic knowledge of human psychology.

idea

Question Everything

29 Man was also in the beginning with God. Intelligence, or the light of truth, was not created or made, neither indeed can be.
(Doctrine and Covenants | Section93:29)

“The unknown is always either feared or worshiped.”

or pursued until it is no longer unknown.