• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

In his image?

steven876

Why beat around the bush? *Do you like the play on words?*
To benjamin: I am fluent with the teachings of the Bibile, you have brought nothing new to me with your comments.

The arrogance of some of the Jews on RF boards is becoming unbearable.

To Johny: From your reply I can quickly tell that you are not aware of the simplicity and truth of the bible. I used that language on purpose to show my dedication to the truth, one day all that crap will be erased from this world. It is simple to see how you choose your words to try and change mine, those post biblical additions of your "new" testament are exactly the kind of material that has made this world unbearable in both the sense of hope and in the sense that G-D does and never wanted that kind of material to be G-D forbid quoted as him or his sayings.

Merlin

jonny said:
Umm. I don't like correcting you, but it is in the scriptures. :) I did have a typo so that might have caused the confusion - "had" should be "has"

See D&C 130:22
"The Father has a body of flesh and bones as tangible as man's; the Son also; but the Holy Ghost has not a body of flesh and bones, but it a personage of Spirit. Were it not so, the Holy Ghost could not dwell in us."
Do any other religions or Christian denominations believe God has the same kind of body that we do. I said on an earlier occasion, that this must mean that God eats and drinks and has bodily functions, to be chopped down quite severely. But surely, this says that LDS do believe that God's body is tangible, which means he could stub his toe on a tangible table.

jonny

dahak236 said:
To Johny: From your reply I can quickly tell that you are not aware of the simplicity and truth of the bible. I used that language on purpose to show my dedication to the truth, one day all that crap will be erased from this world. It is simple to see how you choose your words to try and change mine, those post biblical additions of your "new" testament are exactly the kind of material that has made this world unbearable in both the sense of hope and in the sense that G-D does and never wanted that kind of material to be G-D forbid quoted as him or his sayings.
Umm. You said that the bible should be erased from the world and I gave you a tip on why you probably shouldn't say stuff like that, even if you believe it. I don't read any post that starts out with someone insulting my beliefs. It's a waste of my time. I figure that if you can't debate without insulting me than you must have a weak argument.

From my reply you should have been able to tell that I don't care about what you have to say because you don't respect my beliefs. It's fine if you don't agree with them, but you should be able to discuss them intelligently. Since you can't, I suppose that this will be the last post of yours that I will be reading.

Aqualung

Tasty
Merlin said:
Do any other religions or Christian denominations believe God has the same kind of body that we do. I said on an earlier occasion, that this must mean that God eats and drinks and has bodily functions, to be chopped down quite severely. But surely, this says that LDS do believe that God's body is tangible, which means he could stub his toe on a tangible table.
He doesn't need to eat and drink and do bodily functions. His body is a perfected body of flesh and bones. It's not exactly like ours. It just looks the same, feels the same, etc. People only stub their toes when they're not paying attention. God always pay attention to everything.

Deut 13:1

dahak236 said:
To benjamin: I am fluent with the teachings of the Bibile, you have brought nothing new to me with your comments.

Okay, then why did you feel the need to beat around the concept?

Aqualung

Tasty
Binyamin said:
Is that a serious question? Fine, I'll just write Hashem from now on.
Just out of curiousity (not to bash you or anything) how come you will write Hashem, which is (sort of) his name, but you won't write god, which is just his title?

Aqualung said:
Just out of curiousity (not to bash you or anything) how come you will write Hashem, which is (sort of) his name, but you won't write god, which is just his title?
We just don't write G-d or L-rd as a sign of respect. I honestly don't know the reason we can say HaShem, I can look it up if you want. I just know it's a sign of respect and not to use His name in vein.

greatcalgarian

Katzpur said:
Satan could not have overthrown Jesus at any time. Jesus, being "God" had unlimited power over the Adversary. As an atheist, you may not be aware that it is universally accepted by Christians of all denominations that when Jesus walked the earth, He did so as a mortal being. Nobody killed Him; He allowed them to take His life. His death and resurrection were both part of His Father's plan.
Actually, Satan did tempt Jesus to jump off the cliff to commit suicide, however, Satan also gave free choice to Jesus when he is in the human form, and did not use his supernatural power to kill Jesus off. Why? I do not know. Perhaps, Satan knew that if he exercise that power, God can and will still override him.:D

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
greatcalgarian said:
Actually, Satan did tempt Jesus to jump off the cliff to commit suicide, however, Satan also gave free choice to Jesus when he is in the human form, and did not use his supernatural power to kill Jesus off. Why? I do not know. Perhaps, Satan knew that if he exercise that power, God can and will still override him.:D
Yes, Satan tempted Jesus, but I don't believe he could have killed Jesus, even if he'd wanted to. Had that been possible, it would imply that Satan was more powerful than God. Don't you agree?

A

angellous_evangellous

Faint said:
This passage has me wondering...
Genesis 1:27 “So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him”
Do you think that God looks human? And if so is he male? And if so, what type of human do you think he looks like? For instance, what is his ethnicity? Is he balding or does he have a full head of hair? What do you suppose his height and weight are? And most importantly, does the male God have nipples? And if he does have nipples, what is the purpose of this? Why would God need nipples? Or if he does not, does that mean that Adam didn't have nipples either? And if Adam had no nipples, why do all other men have them?
I have found that many Christian interpreters (theologians and ethicists) think that the image of God is the power to choose by reason - higher reasoning is what truly seperates humanity from the animal world. The "image" of God then is not what God looks like, but something that is part of God's nature: the power to reason.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Malus 12:9 said:
Why then did God not attempt to kill Satan. For the same reason?
Satan is merely a spirit and has never had a mortal body. Consequently, there has never been anything to "kill." However, as NetDoc pointed out, Satan has been cast out of God's presence forever. In other words, he is "spiritually" dead.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
angellous_evangellous said:
I have found that many Christian interpreters (theologians and ethicists) think that the image of God is the power to choose by reason - higher reasoning is what truly seperates humanity from the animal world. The "image" of God then is not what God looks like, but something that is part of God's nature: the power to reason.
Well, we're sixteen pages into this discussion now and I really don't feel much like repeating everything I've aleady said. But if you would care to provide some scriptural evidence for your point of view, I'd be happy to address it. Personally, I know of no other meaning for the word "image" than the representation of something's physical qualities. Can you give me an example of the word in a sentence where it means something different than this?

Malus 12:9

Temporarily Deactive.
Satan has been defeated by God and is already spiritually dead
Why does he "spiritually" exist today, Doc? And how did God defeat Satan? [size=-1]

[/size] Jhn 12:31Now is the judgment of this world: now shall the prince of this world be cast out. :tsk: Takin his sweet time.

Aqualung said:
Before I answer this question, let me make sure I understand it, you're wondering why we write Hashem instead of His name. We're allowed to write "His name" because it's not His name, so I don't see why you think I couldn't write Hashem.

NoName

Katzpur said:
Why do you think the phrases "Holy Ghost" and "Holy Spirit" are interchangeable? The word "spirit" is a synonym for the word "ghost" in the scriptures.
Is the Holy Ghost/Spirit visible, with a body of "flesh and bone" as you think Jesus has? If not, then obviously "ghost/spirit" has a couple different meanings.