• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

In his image?

Faint

This passage has me wondering...
Genesis 1:27 “So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him”
Do you think that God looks human? And if so is he male? And if so, what type of human do you think he looks like? For instance, what is his ethnicity? Is he balding or does he have a full head of hair? What do you suppose his height and weight are? And most importantly, does the male God have nipples? And if he does have nipples, what is the purpose of this? Why would God need nipples? Or if he does not, does that mean that Adam didn't have nipples either? And if Adam had no nipples, why do all other men have them?

Faint

Aqualung said:
There's actually a thread about this. Sort of. Not the nipple part, but about that verse.
Thanks, I didn't see the thread so if this has been covered, my bad. But I'd like some insight on the nipple situation from some theists. I've heard about the "Adam's naval" debate, but this is a different issue.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Faint said:
Genesis 1:27 “So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him”
Do you think that God looks human? And if so is he male? And if so, what type of human do you think he looks like? For instance, what is his ethnicity? Is he balding or does he have a full head of hair? What do you suppose his height and weight are? And most importantly, does the male God have nipples? And if he does have nipples, what is the purpose of this? Why would God need nipples? Or if he does not, does that mean that Adam didn't have nipples either? And if Adam had no nipples, why do all other men have them?
Yes, I believe that God is human in appearance, and that He is male. I've never known of a father who was female, have you? I don't personally see His ethnicity as significant, since I believe the concept of race to be primarily something devised by man. Obviously, if God has the appearance of a man, He would have a specific hair, skin and eye color, as well as unique features. But I see these as unimportant, whatever they may be. I'm white. I have blonde hair and blue eyes. If God's black, I'm okay with that. I don't waste my time wondering about the details, but the Bible says that Jesus Christ was "the express image of His Father's person." I don't know how much clearer it could possibly have been stated: The Son of God looks like God.

greatcalgarian

Katzpur said:
Yes, I believe that God is human in appearance, and that He is male. I've never known of a father who was female, have you? I don't personally see His ethnicity as significant, since I believe the concept of race to be primarily something devised by man. Obviously, if God has the appearance of a man, He would have a specific hair, skin and eye color, as well as unique features. But I see these as unimportant, whatever they may be. I'm white. I have blonde hair and blue eyes. If God's black, I'm okay with that. I don't waste my time wondering about the details, but the Bible says that Jesus Christ was "the express image of His Father's person." I don't know how much clearer it could possibly have been stated: The Son of God looks like God.
Following the last sentnece, Jesus looks like God. I deduce: since Jesus is from middle east, the chances are that he would most likely look like an Arab/Jew. So most likely He will look like one of the following:
http://www.fbi.gov/mostwant/topten/fugitives/laden.htm
or this one:
http://www.gwu.edu/~nsarchiv/special/iraq/
may be nearer to this one:
http://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/jsource/biography/sharon.html

Since all three likely candidates have nipples (I believe so, only the second candidate has a picture showing that), so God has to have nipples. For what reason, I do not know. Perhaps just for decorative purposes. Remember God did not eat the forbidden fruit, so he does not know about shame (ahhh, contradict to omniscience), and he was naked, and is still naked now.

Merlin

greatcalgarian said:
Following the last sentnece, Jesus looks like God. I deduce: since Jesus is from middle east, the chances are that he would most likely look like an Arab/Jew. So most likely He will look like one of the following:
http://www.fbi.gov/mostwant/topten/fugitives/laden.htm
or this one:
http://www.gwu.edu/~nsarchiv/special/iraq/
may be nearer to this one:
http://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/jsource/biography/sharon.html

Since all three likely candidates have nipples (I believe so, only the second candidate has a picture showing that), so God has to have nipples. For what reason, I do not know. Perhaps just for decorative purposes. Remember God did not eat the forbidden fruit, so he does not know about shame (ahhh, contradict to omniscience), and he was naked, and is still naked now.
Yes, I would agree with you that the most likely appearance of somebody from that part of the world 2000 years ago would be a young version of Osama bin Ladin. He would be small in stature, probably broad shouldered from helping his father in the woodworking business, and as he was a practising Jew and a Rabbi he would have a black beard.

Clearly, these are all guesses, but based on what is likely. What really makes me smile is the number of times we see pictures in the West with a blue-eyed pink faced Jesus.

I suspect Jesus had nipples, otherwise people might have commented. So draw your own conclusions from that.

Merlin

Faint said:
If I asked you; "what is your image of a perfect car", you would tell me. If I asked you; "what is your image of a perfect country scene", again you would have an opinion.

I have always read that verse that God created man to look as God wanted man to look. In other words, in his perfect image of what the human being should look like.

The concept of the creator of a billion universes needing to eat and drink and move His bowels, is nonsense.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Don't hit me Kathryn *cowers in corner*...........

I take as meaning that we are created with the same attributes as god, the ability to do Godd, to Love - ie all the positive aspects.;)

Merlin

Katzpur said:
Yes, I believe that God is human in appearance, and that He is male. I've never known of a father who was female, have you?
What is the definition of a hermaphrodite?

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
michel said:
Don't hit me Kathryn *cowers in corner*...........

I take as meaning that we are created with the same attributes as god, the ability to do Godd, to Love - ie all the positive aspects.;)
I'm crushed, Michel -- seriously! Do I really strike you as that hostile? This kitty has claws, to be sure, but she only uses them in self-defense. I most definitely accept your right to believe as you wish.

I am curious as to why you believe as you do, though. I know this may be difficult to imagine, but I'd like you to try. Suppose you had absolutely no background in the Judeo-Christian God. You knew nothing whatsoever about Him. Now, if someone were to suggest that you read the Bible to find out about this God, what would you think when you came to Genesis 1:27? You've just read how God created all of the animals, "the cattle, and creeping thing, and beast of the death after his kind." And then you read that God created man "in His own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them." Would you come to the same conclusion you have, knowing in advance the conclusion you were supposed to have come to?

I would also like to ask that you give me one single solitary example of how you might use the word "image" in a sentence where it did not mean "the respresentation of physical qualities." I can't personally do so. In other words, I look in the mirror and see my image. My son is the "spitten image" of his dad. A person who looks well is said to be "the image of health." Even the word "imagine" forces you to picture something in your mind. I've asked this question before on many occasions and have never once seen anyone be able to give me an answer.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Merlin said:
What is the definition of a hermaphrodite?
It's a bisexual being. But I'm not sure why you ask. I really don't see it as pertinent to my statement.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Katzpur said:
I'm crushed, Michel -- seriously! Do I really strike you as that hostile? This kitty has claws, to be sure, but she only uses them in self-defense. I most definitely accept your right to believe as you wish.

I am curious as to why you believe as you do, though. I know this may be difficult to imagine, but I'd like you to try. Suppose you had absolutely no background in the Judeo-Christian God. You knew nothing whatsoever about Him. Now, if someone were to suggest that you read the Bible to find out about this God, what would you think when you came to Genesis 1:27? You've just read how God created all of the animals, "the cattle, and creeping thing, and beast of the death after his kind." And then you read that God created man "in His own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them." Would you come to the same conclusion you have, knowing in advance the conclusion you were supposed to have come to?

I would also like to ask that you give me one single solitary example of how you might use the word "image" in a sentence where it did not mean "the respresentation of physical qualities." I can't personally do so. In other words, I look in the mirror and see my image. My son is the "spitten image" of his dad. A person who looks well is said to be "the image of health." Even the word "imagine" forces you to picture something in your mind. I've asked this question before on many occasions and have never once seen anyone be able to give me an answer.
You ? Hostile ? - you Pm'd me to say I had to admit to being scared of you the other day........it was you, wasn't it ? :biglaugh:

I agree that you make a very valid point - one to which I have no answer.
The only thing I can say is that I don't believe that God has a corporeal form; I agree that I have nothing to back this up - it is just a 'gut' reaction, and the way I think. I could go into greater detail now, but I'm being forced - by another female bully (my horrid wife) to go and keep her company, and have a drink with her - as distasteful as this is, I am a martyr, and have to acquiesce. But I'll be back, later........;)

Merlin,

hermaphrodite: an animal or plant having both male and female reproductive organs

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
michel said:
You ? Hostile ? - you Pm'd me to say I had to admit to being scared of you the other day........it was you, wasn't it ? :biglaugh:
Uh... no.

I agree that you make a very valid point - one to which I have no answer.
The only thing I can say is that I don't believe that God has a corporeal form; I agree that I have nothing to back this up - it is just a 'gut' reaction, and the way I think.
Personally, I'd say that it is probably less a "gut reaction" than something you learned somewhere. It's just not something you learned from reading the Bible. Go enjoy your drink, you poor martyr!

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Is God circumcised?

He seemed to advocate it amongst His chosen people, though why he included the offending part in His original design, only to be removed, is perplexing....

Deut 13:1

Faint said:
The Tanya talks about this in detail, it has nothing to do w/ physical image, it has to do w/ our ability to reason, morality, and free-will. Angels, don't have free-will or morality or the ability to reason like we do.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Binyamin said:
The Tanya talks about this in detail, it has nothing to do w/ physical image, it has to do w/ our ability to reason, morality, and free-will. Angels, don't have free-will or morality or the ability to reason like we do.
I respect your right to believe that, Binyamin. I just don't agree with you.

I have yet to see one single solitary example of the word "image" used in a sentence to refer to anything other than the representation of physical appearance. If you can give me one, I'd be interested in hearing it. But I can't begin to count the number of times I have challenged people to do so, and so far, no one has been able to.

Genesis 1:26 states, "And God said, Let us make man in ourimage, after our likeness..." Just five chapters later, Genesis 5:3 says, "And Adam lived an hundred and thirty years, and begat a son in his own likeness, after his image; and called his name Seth."

Adam fathered a son whom he named Seth. Seth looked like his father. What reason can you give me for coming to the conclusion that in Genesis 1:26 the words "likeness" and "image" mean something entirely different than they do in Genesis 5:3, when the context is almost identical?

Deut 13:1

Katzpur said:
I respect your right to believe that, Binyamin. I just don't agree with you.
okay.

Katzpur said:
I have yet to see one single solitary example of the word "image" used in a sentence to refer to anything other than the representation of physical appearance. If you can give me one, I'd be interested in hearing it. But I can't begin to count the number of times I have challenged people to do so, and so far, no one has been able to.
Okay.

Katzpur said:
Genesis 1:26 states, "And God said, Let us make man in ourimage, after our likeness..." Just five chapters later, Genesis 5:3 says, "And Adam lived an hundred and thirty years, and begat a son in his own likeness, after his image; and called his name Seth."
Here is some commentary you may find interesting on Genesis 1:26 and 27, I'm not going to type it all but here are some points...

Abarbanel: Let us make Man - This preamble indicated that Man was created with great deliberation and wisdom. G-d didn't say, "Let the earth bring forth" as He did with other creatures; instead, Man was brought into being with the deepest involvement of Divine Providence and wisdom.

Targum Yonassan - "And G-d said to the ministering angels who had been created on the second day of creation, 'Let us make Man'."

Midrash - When Moses wrote the Torah and came to this verse, (Let us make), which is in the plural and implies that there is more than one Creater, he said: "Soverign of the Universe! Why do You thus furnish a pretext for heretics to maintain that there is a plurality of divinities?" "Write" G-d replied. "Whoever wishes to err will err... instead let them learn from their Creator Who created all, yet when He came to create Man He took counsel with the ministering angels"

Thus G-d taught that one should always consult others before embarking upon major new initatives, and He was notdeterred by the possibilities that some might choose to find sacriligious implication in the verse. This implation of G-ds response, "whoever wishes to err" is that one who sincerely seeks the truth will see it, one who looks for an excuse to blaspheme will find it.

Rashi - In Our image - In Our mold, meaning that G-d had prepared the mold with which He would now shape Man.

Rashi - After Our likeness - With the power of understanding and intellect.

Rashi - So G-d created - Just as Man is unique, so is the manner of his creation was unique and exalted. Throughout this chapter, G-d brought all things into being with an utterance, but He created Man with His own hands, as it were.

Ramban - In His image, in the image of G-d. - Among all living creatures, Man alone is endowed -- life His Creater -- with morality, reason and free will. He can know and love G-d and can hold spiritual communion with Him; and Man alone can guide his actions through reason. It is in this sense that the Torah describes Man as having been created in G-d's image and likeness.

R'Hirsch - Male and female. Although Eve was created later (2:21), she and Adam were created on the same day. Although all living creatures were created male and female, this fact is specified only in the case of human beings, to stress that both sexes were created by G-d in His likeness.

Katzpur said:
Adam fathered a son whom he named Seth. Seth looked like his father. What reason can you give me for coming to the conclusion that in Genesis 1:26 the words "likeness" and "image" mean something entirely different than they do in Genesis 5:3, when the context is almost identical?
Of course they are similar...

Yevamos 63A - He created them male and female. The Talmud comments that a man without a wife is not a man, for it is said, "He created them male and female... and called their name Man (Only when a man is united with his wife can he be called a Man).

Ramban - In his likness and his image. - The verse mentions this to indicate that G-d gave Adam, who himself was created in G-d's likeness, the capactity to reproduce offspring who were also in this noble likeness. This is not mentioned concerning Cain or Abel because, since their seed perished, the Torah did not wish to prolong the descriptions of them.

Want to come up with a new interpretation? Fine, it's a free country. These are the commentaries that go back to Moses...