• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

In Defense of Scientism

Dan From Smithville

What we've got here is failure to communicate.
Staff member
Premium Member
While science is a useful tool, I don’t accept it as an absolute authority on any matter.
I am not sure if I understand that position.

If a person was in charge of a piece of property that they thought was best managed for conservation or perhaps for preservation, and they needed to know the species found there, their significance and whether any were endangered, what other authority would you suggest they seek besides scientists?

Who would you recommend a world traveler consult with after returning from a tropical country and experiencing conditions they suspected might be the result of a tropical disease? A physician is not necessarily a scientist, but they do have some familiarity, education and training in science.

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
For reason, ruling alone, is a force confining; and passion, unattended, is a flame that burns to its own destruction.

As the poem says, Rest in reason and move in passion.
I like that. I googled it. I know of Kahlil Gibran, but I do not know much about him or his work. I find this small example of his words very moving and insightful.

Sky Rivers

I am not sure if I understand that position.

If a person was in charge of a piece of property that they thought was best managed for conservation or perhaps for preservation, and they needed to know the species found there, their significance and whether any were endangered, what other authority would you suggest they seek besides scientists?

Who would you recommend a world traveler consult with after returning from a tropical country and experiencing conditions they suspected might be the result of a tropical disease? A physician is not necessarily a scientist, but they do have some familiarity, education and training in science.
I don't disagree with the use of science or having scientists. What I disagree with is placing science and scientists in a position of absolute authority.

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
I don't disagree with the use of science or having scientists. What I disagree with is placing science and scientists in a position of absolute authority.
Do you mean that you do not agree that, just because a person is an authority in their field of study, they are an authority on everything?

I would agree with that with some qualifications. But I disagree with the idea of dismissing what they have to say, because they are smarty pants intellectuals who do not believe the way I do. That is the other extreme and just as, if not more, dangerous.

Sky Rivers

Do you mean that you do not agree that, just because a person is an authority in their field of study, they are an authority on everything?

I would agree with that with some qualifications. But I disagree with the idea of dismissing what they have to say, because they are smarty pants intellectuals who do not believe the way I do. That is the other extreme and just as, if not more, dangerous.

I don't believe anyone is an absolute authority on anything, period. While I respect science as a tool and the knowledge and experience of scientists, I don't see science or scientists as any sort of absolute authority on any given thing. Do I trust scientists at their word? Rarely, I often seek second, third, and even forth and fifth opinions on the matter.

Antidotal - Had my mother not questioned what the doctors (several) diagnosed her husband with, he'd not be alive today. Every single one of those doctors was completely wrong.

While doctors aren't always wrong (and often are right), if something seems extreme or worth questioning, I think a person (any person) should be able to question it freely.

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
I don't believe anyone is an absolute authority on anything, period. While I respect science as a tool and the knowledge and experience of scientists, I don't see science or scientists as any sort of absolute authority on any given thing. Do I trust scientists at their word? Rarely, I often seek second, third, and even forth and fifth opinions on the matter.

Antidotal - Had my mother not questioned what the doctors (several) diagnosed her husband with, he'd not be alive today. Every single one of those doctors was completely wrong.

While doctors aren't always wrong (and often are right), if something seems extreme or worth questioning, I think a person (any person) should be able to question it freely.
Scientists would be the first to say that what they find is not absolutes.

Who do you seek for these opinions?

But there are as many people and probably many more people that have taken the advice of physicians and benefited from it. No one is saying that they are right all the time. If you have questions or doubts, you should seek outside advice.

You made a statement about scientists and I am curious about why you feel that way. I am more curious about who you have asked as an alternative and who you would recommend as an alternative to the advice of authorities in the fields of science and medicine.

In the case of your mother and her husband, who did she turn to for advice that ultimately lead to the preservation of his life? If it was not another physician, then who else would be expert in diagnosing his condition? How do you know that this person or persons was not just lucky?

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member

Do you mean anecdotal?

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member

A lawyer is not an absolute authority on the law, but I would seek a lawyer when I needed one and not a plumber or an electrician. I might talk to my minister about being diagnosed with a medical condition, but unless he has a medical degree he has not mentioned, I do not normally visit him seeking treatments for anything that ails me.

I think it is reasonable to question or challenge physicians so that a person comfortably understands what they are being told. If they do not feel that one physician is correct, they should seek a second opinion. Doctors are not miracle workers and even when they do everything right, sometimes things can go wrong.

Sky Rivers

Scientists would be the first to say that what they find is not absolutes.

Who do you seek for these opinions?

But there are as many people and probably many more people that have taken the advice of physicians and benefited from it. No one is saying that they are right all the time. If you have questions or doubts, you should seek outside advice.

You made a statement about scientists and I am curious about why you feel that way. I am more curious about who you have asked as an alternative and who you would recommend as an alternative to the advice of authorities in the fields of science and medicine.

In the case of your mother and her husband, who did she turn to for advice that ultimately lead to the preservation of his life? If it was not another physician, then who else would be expert in diagnosing his condition? How do you know that this person or persons was not just lucky?

She turned to the internet, spent long nights researching, and eventually found what saved his life (outside of the country). Did she trust the experts here? No, she didn't. She researched various conditions and found what fit; she was right.

I'm also not saying one should disregard what scientists claim. What I'm saying is that I don't consider them an absolute authority on any matter; they can be and should be questioned in many cases.

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
She turned to the internet, spent long nights researching, and eventually found what saved his life (outside of the country). Did she trust the experts here? No, she didn't. She researched various conditions and found what fit; she was right.

I'm also not saying one should disregard what scientists claim. What I'm saying is that I don't consider them an absolute authority on any matter; they can be and should be questioned in many cases.
So she sought medical experts on the internet and outside the country. I am not sure I see how that is divesting trust in scientists and physicians, but rather moving it away from the initial scientists and physicians. It is very difficult to make any sort of assessment in favor of this or against it as evidence to support a conclusion.

What do you mean by absolute authority. Is delivering an expert opinion the delivery of absolute authority? Is the knowledge a scientist has gained of no value when a person's belief is being brought to bear?

I am a scientist. That does not make me an absolute authority on everything and I was not trained to take that position. However, I know a lot about my particular field and science in general. More, I have discovered than the average person. Should that knowledge I possess be ignored because of a feeling?

Sky Rivers

So she sought medical experts on the internet and outside the country. I am not sure I see how that is divesting trust in scientists and physicians, but rather moving it away from the initial scientists and physicians. It is very difficult to make any sort of assessment in favor of this or against it as evidence to support a conclusion.

What do you mean by absolute authority. Is delivering an expert opinion the delivery of absolute authority? Is the knowledge a scientist has gained of no value when a person's belief is being brought to bear?

I am a scientist. That does not make me an absolute authority on everything and I was not trained to take that position. However, I know a lot about my particular field and science in general. More, I have discovered than the average person. Should that knowledge I possess be ignored because of a feeling?
Yes, as a scientist, you use science; it's your tool. You know more about a given field than someone who hasn't spent "x years" studying that field. However, I also don't discount someone who has spent "x years" studying a specific field, yet who didn't attend an educational institution in order to do so.

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
Yes, as a scientist, you use science; it's your tool. You know more about a given field than someone who hasn't spent "x years" studying that field. However, I also don't discount someone who has spent "x years" studying a specific field, yet who didn't attend an educational institution in order to do so.
Sure. You can learn and gain expertise by experience and trial and error. It can be a difficult path, but it is not unheard of. I do not know of any physicians that have done that though. There are people that legally practice law without degrees and do what is known as 'read for the law'. But these too are not common.

Do you think that it is common and there are a lot of experts that have no formal education? Why trust them more than someone that is educated in a field? Do you have something against education? Nothing is perfect and even education requires updating and tweaks, but most of this world has advanced because of educated people. Whether it is through formal paths or sometimes less rigorous paths. One of the greatest scientists known had little or no formal education. Our world is much better off through the fruits of Michael Faraday's effort to learn about the world around him. Though, he did not think he was a great scientists nor did he avoid or ignore the predominantly larger group of scientists that achieved their positions through education.

I would accept or reject what a person has to say based on logic, reason and evidence. I know scientists whose opinion I reject because it fails those tests. However, these people are still experts in certain areas and I have to consider what they say about those areas. I would hold a person that achieved expertise outside of education to those same standards. I would not reject one because they lacked a degree in favor of one simply because they had one.

If an expert on evolution provides evidence and theory in support of evolution, I would not dismiss it because my background in belief is Christianity. My belief does not mean that I do not use my senses and mind to draw conclusions.

Last edited:

Sky Rivers

Sure. You can learn and gain expertise by experience and trial and error. It can be a difficult path, but it is not unheard of. I do not know of any physicians that have done that though. There are people that legally practice law without degrees and do what is known as 'read for the law'. But these too are not common.

Do you think that it is common and there are a lot of experts that have no formal education? Why trust them more than someone that is educated in a field? Do you have something against education? Nothing is perfect and even education requires updating and tweaks, but most of this world has advanced because of educated people. Whether it is through formal paths or sometimes less rigorous paths. One of the greatest scientists known had little or no formal education. Our world is much better off through the fruits of Thomas Faraday's effort to learn about the world around him. Though, he did not think he was a great scientists nor did he avoid or ignore the predominantly larger group of scientists that achieved their positions through education.

I would accept or reject what a person has to say based on logic, reason and evidence. I know scientists whose opinion I reject because it fails those tests. However, these people are still experts in certain areas and I have to consider what they say about those areas. I would hold a person that achieved expertise outside of education to those same standards. I would not reject one because they lacked a degree in favor of one simply because they had one.

If an expert on evolution provides evidence and theory in support of evolution, I would not dismiss it because my background in belief is Christianity. My belief does not mean that I do not use my senses and mind to draw conclusions.

I don't ignore what scientists claim. I look at it if I'm interested (and sometimes even if I'm not) and decide (as you do) if it's based on logic, reason, and evidence. The entire point I've been trying (clearly poorly) to make is that I don't accept anyone as an absolute authority on anything, including scientists or science. While I consider what experts have to say, I don't take it as fact without proper research, especially if it's something that matters to me.

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
The scientism I am encountering is proposing that the truth of reality can and should be determined by the process of science.

And what other methods have you discovered for determining what is demonstrably true about reality besides science? I found astrology to be pretty useless, as was religion, reading tea leaves, visiting psychics, etc., but none of them generated a single idea that I could use.

they mean this truth to be far more universal, and even to subjugate, practical function.

Science is the ultimate program in pragmatism. It's all about learning how to control experience to maximize desirable outcomes and minimize undesirable ones.

Do you like electric lighting at night? That's a pretty pragmatic product of science.

How about motors and engines to do much of the heavy lifting and transporting, and assorted mechanisms to do the tedious tasks needed in daily life? Is that pragmatic enough?

Do you find near instantaneous global communication capability a practical function? Science didn't subjugate it. Science created it.

I try to point out that the scientific process is not able to explore the truth of reality beyond the realm of physical functionality, and that we humans use philosophy, art, and religion to do that

You're incorrect in your assumptions about philosophy. Secular humanists are typically much more educated in and comfortable with logic and reason that their faith-based counterparts. Look how badly the creationists perform at that.

What truth can art embody that is not equally well or better expressed in language. hat art adds is beauty, and of course, this is just another of the religionist's straw man depictions of a class of people he really doesn't understand. Art plays a large role in my life. My wife and I had about ten years experience playing live music in restaurants and coffee houses, have a house full of
art, and recently had this mural painted on our garage door, some Grateful Dead iconography (as is my avatar).

upload_2019-4-8_14-21-17.jpeg

So where is the truth there? I see beauty. I see joy. I see two terrapins caught up in the rhapsody of making music. But not truth. Art's value to me is to inspire the moment in which it is being appreciated.

And, as I've already mentioned to you elsewhere, religion is not useful to the person who feels complete and satisfied without it. Where religion departs from secular methods, pronouncements, and values, it offers nothing of value to the content secular humanist.

How about a term woo-wooism, where we postulate all manner of truths and paths to them, none offering anything that can be used to make a complete life better? Sure, there are people with unmet needs who might find solace in religion, but they are not in an enviable position relative to the person who has met those needs without it.

Yesterday, a friend came by, who had recently traveled to South America, and who is now all a-titter about yerba mate as a health aid. Before that, it was Buddhism and incense, but that didn't work out when he and his local spiritual guru had a falling out.

Like so many unanchored souls, he's looking for magic to rescue him from some unmet need, for which he has visited any number of woo-woo sources in search of a solution. I say that he should have looked to himself and worked through these issues through self-reflection as a much younger man, and avoided this world of implied or promised magical solutions, which deflect his thoughts from searching within himself for answers to any number of impotent chants, amulets, and supplements.

their goal is to dismiss philosophy, art, and religion is 'mere endeavors in fantasy'

You're contiinualy speaking for us and getting it wrong. Perhaps you should ask us rather than tell us what we think, and this time, write it down and refer to it the next time you want to report what it is atheists told you they believe rather that this script that you're stuck on.

"Objectivity" has become their new "god"

Atheists have no gods. We'll leave that to those who can find a use for them.

And of course, you're wrong here again. I wrote the following to you personally a few days ago, directly contradicting your depiction of us as empty, dimensionless vessels with no appreciation of art, beauty, :

PureX : "the idea that the scientific process somehow frees humanity from it's ignorance and bias and shows us 'true reality' is foolishness. All it shows us is what works relative to our expectations, and what doesn't. What that has to do with 'true reality' is anyone's guess, ... and everyone's opinion, of course."

IANS replied : "Nothing else really matters apart from the fact that we have desires and beliefs that inform our actions, and that if belief B reliably informs action A such that desired result D is the outcome more consistently than other competing beliefs, then belief B can be called whatever you call useful ideas - true, correct, factual, knowledge - whatever. Concerns about absolute or objective truth are metaphysical time wasters. What difference does it make what's "really" out there if we can manipulate our experience of it to conform to our preferences? Hologram? Brain-in-a-vat? Last Thursdayism? Descartes' demon? A matrix? [It doesn't matter] The information is neither available to us nor necessary to have. We are irreversibly locked into the theater of our consciousness, experience nothing else directly, and therefore can assign primacy to the subjective conscious content over what we imagine underlies it."​

Did you read that? If so, is it not evidence that you should revise your assessment, or is the "objectivity is their god" meme pretty much here to stay in your ongoing assault on atheists and atheism?

While science is a useful tool, I don’t accept it as an absolute authority on any matter.

Science only needs you to recognize its usefulness. Absolute authority isn't all it's cracked up to be, and science knows that.

Scientism is an excessive confidence in the reliability of scientific methods and the range of situations in which they can be effectively applied.

How can one be excessively confident in science? Doesn't that imply that one would have had better outcomes if one had relied less on science and more on some other method? Has one made an error trusting science instead of some other way of knowing - perhaps horoscopes, or lost biblical transcripts? Who has been harmed expecting science to come through?

I believe the better quality spiritual and psychic masters I respect know things beyond what science knows.

And exactly how is this knowledge manifest? What reason is there to consider it knowledge rather than just ideas that cannot be put to use?

Straight out I'd say I know things beyond science from my study of the paranormal and the best quality spiritual and psychic masters.

Then I'm sure that you can demonstrate that what you are referring to is actually useful. Why should others follow in your footsteps? What benefit should they expect to find?

A physician is not necessarily a scientist, but they do have some familiarity, education and training in science.

Correct. Physicians are not scientists, except perhaps those doing medical research. Mostly, physicians apply the science developed by others the way that engineers might. Physicians are educated in sciences such as anatomy, physiology, cytology, embryology, biochemistry, immunology, genetics, microbiology, and pharmacology.

Yes, as a scientist, you use science; it's your tool.

As a scientist, he uses the scientific method, not science. We're all using science even now as we send and receive digital data from one another.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
And what other methods have you discovered for determining what is demonstrably true about reality besides science?
Physical demonstration of what is held to be beyond the physical plane may be kind of like an oxymoron.

I found astrology to be pretty useless, as was religion, reading tea leaves, visiting psychics, etc., but none of them generated a single idea that I could use.
I have learned a lot from eastern and western esoteric traditions, Vedic Advaita philosophy, spiritual masters, the psychically gifted, etc..

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
And what other methods have you discovered for determining what is demonstrably true about reality besides science? I found astrology to be pretty useless, as was religion, reading tea leaves, visiting psychics, etc., but none of them generated a single idea that I could use.

Science is the ultimate program in pragmatism. It's all about learning how to control experience to maximize desirable outcomes and minimize undesirable ones.

Do you like electric lighting at night? That's a pretty pragmatic product of science.

How about motors and engines to do much of the heavy lifting and transporting, and assorted mechanisms to do the tedious tasks needed in daily life? Is that pragmatic enough?

Do you find near instantaneous global communication capability a practical function? Science didn't subjugate it. Science created it.

You're incorrect in your assumptions about philosophy. Secular humanists are typically much more educated in and comfortable with logic and reason that their faith-based counterparts. Look how badly the creationists perform at that.

What truth can art embody that is not equally well or better expressed in language. hat art adds is beauty, and of course, this is just another of the religionist's straw man depictions of a class of people he really doesn't understand. Art plays a large role in my life. My wife and I had about ten years experience playing live music in restaurants and coffee houses, have a house full of
art, and recently had this mural painted on our garage door, some Grateful Dead iconography (as is my avatar).

So where is the truth there? I see beauty. I see joy. I see two terrapins caught up in the rhapsody of making music. But not truth. Art's value to me is to inspire the moment in which it is being appreciated.

And, as I've already mentioned to you elsewhere, religion is not useful to the person who feels complete and satisfied without it. Where religion departs from secular methods, pronouncements, and values, it offers nothing of value to the content secular humanist.

How about a term woo-wooism, where we postulate all manner of truths and paths to them, none offering anything that can be used to make a complete life better? Sure, there are people with unmet needs who might find solace in religion, but they are not in an enviable position relative to the person who has met those needs without it.

Yesterday, a friend came by, who had recently traveled to South America, and who is now all a-titter about yerba mate as a health aid. Before that, it was Buddhism and incense, but that didn't work out when he and his local spiritual guru had a falling out.

Like so many unanchored souls, he's looking for magic to rescue him from some unmet need, for which he has visited any number of woo-woo sources in search of a solution. I say that he should have looked to himself and worked through these issues through self-reflection as a much younger man, and avoided this world of implied or promised magical solutions, which deflect his thoughts from searching within himself for answers to any number of impotent chants, amulets, and supplements.

You're contiinualy speaking for us and getting it wrong. Perhaps you should ask us rather than tell us what we think, and this time, write it down and refer to it the next time you want to report what it is atheists told you they believe rather that this script that you're stuck on.

Atheists have no gods. We'll leave that to those who can find a use for them.

And of course, you're wrong here again. I wrote the following to you personally a few days ago, directly contradicting your depiction of us as empty, dimensionless vessels with no appreciation of art, beauty, :

PureX : "the idea that the scientific process somehow frees humanity from it's ignorance and bias and shows us 'true reality' is foolishness. All it shows us is what works relative to our expectations, and what doesn't. What that has to do with 'true reality' is anyone's guess, ... and everyone's opinion, of course."

IANS replied : "Nothing else really matters apart from the fact that we have desires and beliefs that inform our actions, and that if belief B reliably informs action A such that desired result D is the outcome more consistently than other competing beliefs, then belief B can be called whatever you call useful ideas - true, correct, factual, knowledge - whatever. Concerns about absolute or objective truth are metaphysical time wasters. What difference does it make what's "really" out there if we can manipulate our experience of it to conform to our preferences? Hologram? Brain-in-a-vat? Last Thursdayism? Descartes' demon? A matrix? [It doesn't matter] The information is neither available to us nor necessary to have. We are irreversibly locked into the theater of our consciousness, experience nothing else directly, and therefore can assign primacy to the subjective conscious content over what we imagine underlies it."​

Did you read that? If so, is it not evidence that you should revise your assessment, or is the "objectivity is their god" meme pretty much here to stay in your ongoing assault on atheists and atheism?

Science only needs you to recognize its usefulness. Absolute authority isn't all it's cracked up to be, and science knows that.

How can one be excessively confident in science? Doesn't that imply that one would have had better outcomes if one had relied less on science and more on some other method? Has one made an error trusting science instead of some other way of knowing - perhaps horoscopes, or lost biblical transcripts? Who has been harmed expecting science to come through?

And exactly how is this knowledge manifest? What reason is there to consider it knowledge rather than just ideas that cannot be put to use?

Then I'm sure that you can demonstrate that what you are referring to is actually useful. Why should others follow in your footsteps? What benefit should they expect to find?

Correct. Physicians are not scientists, except perhaps those doing medical research. Mostly, physicians apply the science developed by others the way that engineers might. Physicians are educated in sciences such as anatomy, physiology, cytology, embryology, biochemistry, immunology, genetics, microbiology, and pharmacology.

As a scientist, he uses the scientific method, not science. We're all using science even now as we send and receive digital data from one another.
I like the symbolism in art and I am occasionally savvy enough to see a story portrayed in some piece, but that need not be recognized to appreciate it and be moved by it.

Excellent point about our collective use of science. I think that is an important point to make.

How can one be excessively confident in science?

By underestimating the potential for scientific methodologies to yield incorrect information in certain conditions, of course.

Doesn't that imply that one would have had better outcomes if one had relied less on science and more on some other method?

Of course. Practical experience, judgement, intuitions, etc. can certainly yield better outcomes than acting on false information.

Who has been harmed expecting science to come through?

In relation to the OP:

1. Society is a complex system, and this is the domain where scientific research tends to be least effective. It is also the domain where we get the most unintended consequences.
2. It is too hard to isolate specific factors to determine what is causing certain changes to occur. The potential for misinterpreting trends is very high.
3. What works in one situation, may not be generalisable to all situations due to the number of contingent factors that may be in play.
4. It is necessarily faddish. Go back and look at many of the ideas that have, at times been considered 'good science' and there are many terrible ones.
5. It is necessarily centralising, best practice should be implemented on as large a scale as possible. Diversity in social systems is good, as are small scale local solutions. As such, you maximise the harms of any mistakes.
6. Many things that work are the result of instinct, trial and error and practical experience that may not be easy to prove 'scientifically'.
7. It hubristically overestimates the rationality of humans and starts with the assumption that tradition is bad without considering that that which survives a long time often has significant merit, even if that merit is not easy to measure scientifically.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
What the author is suggesting is that a shot in the dark using science is worth two religious theories shot in the barrel.
That's a snappy sentence. What does it mean?

It means that when faced with explanation derived by science and non-scientific alternatives, the New Atheism authors propose trusting "the principles of science," and linking it to scientism implies that they propose acceptance whether one is in a position to understand it or not (ostensibly, not everyone is well educated in science). The fish in a barrel is the easy alternative, adopted without having to consider it (somewhat, or at all); such is religious indoctrination. But, for the person trusting blindly in the principles of science, the science behind an explanation is a shot in the dark--however trustworthy its principle supporting concepts may be, blind faith is still, ever and always, blind.

The conclusion, that "no other tool is better or more reliable than science," is supported in the article by appeal to inference: science has done us a solid in past, and so it will continue to do so. It is also supported by anti-science rhetoric, and ad hominem and strawman about non-scientific proponents, ironically accused of strawman (so an appeal to projection fallacy). And that's just the opening paragraphs. While these arguments must be taken with a grain of salt, the substance of the article is something that I can get behind (that the principles of science are inherently reliable because they are supported by Aristotelian reason and sound method).

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
I think IANS explained this very well. Science is not just mine. It belongs to all of us.

I agree that a person can, without formal education in a field, become expert in that field, but those people do not do it in a vacuum. There is a difference between a person that takes that route and someone that merely claims to have taken that route. Lots of people claim to be experts that are not. Often to sell something.

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
I don't ignore what scientists claim. I look at it if I'm interested (and sometimes even if I'm not) and decide (as you do) if it's based on logic, reason, and evidence. The entire point I've been trying (clearly poorly) to make is that I don't accept anyone as an absolute authority on anything, including scientists or science. While I consider what experts have to say, I don't take it as fact without proper research, especially if it's something that matters to me.
You'll pardon me if I cannot help but feel you are moving around something that you both want to say and are having a hard time saying.

Scientists are no more absolute authorities than holy men or anyone else. But given a choice, I would turn to experts that have studied, explored, experimented and followed established methodologies in a particular field over the claims of some alternative that has no track record. Seeking outside help that exists around controversial claims is yielding to that help as an absolute authority in my opinion, since such efforts are often carried out in desperation and hope, rather than on careful review and critical thinking. Success following that method probably arises more from chance and circumstance than from some expertise claimed by the alternative source.

I agree that everyone should review and weigh information critically. But people often weigh information that is not very good on the same scale that they use to weigh valid and robust information with the incorrect idea that the two are equal.