• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

In~breeding within the Amish communities

Palehorse

I found this religious news that there is problems within the Amish communities. I wonder if anybody has the latest update on what the Amish are doing to combat this aughfull problem?

Gene hunters flock to Amish country
By Paul Elias, Associated Press
STRASBURG, Pa. — Smack dab in the middle of a central Pennsylvanian cornfield, in the heart of an Amish culture that typically shuns technology, sits a marvel of genetic medicine and science.
clear.gif

amish180.jpg
clear.gif
Blood from Amish patients are cataloged. The Clinic for Special Children serves Old Order Amish families whose children have genetic diseases.
clear.gif

Bradley C. Bower/AP

The building itself, a tidy clapboard structure, was raised by hand, rope and horse in the Amish way 16 years ago. Upstairs, is the Clinic for Special Children (http://www.clinicforspecialchildren.org). Downstairs houses the Amish Research Clinic.

Tonights snack is...
f666030272288d3effdcc7121038f9df.jpg

Homemade delicious finger licking good jelly!;)

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
This is not only a problem in the Amish communities but also in some other minority religious communities as well, and it's hard to find a solution because the gene pool that an individual will select from in order to find a spouse is so limited.

BTW, I have spent quite a bit of time with the Amish community down in northern Indiana, and they are a remarkably resilient people, but life can be quite rough for them. Nice people who much prefer to be left alone-- but they can talk your ear off if they have reason to do so. That extended community there is the 2nd largest in the country that follows behind Holmes County, Ohio, that is the largest.

Palehorse

The Amish colonies here are growing. Alot of buggy/vehicle accidents. Their saw mill just caught on fire recently, big explosions from their fuel tanks. They were arrested for cutting the beards off each other, people are complaining about horse crap all over the roads. They are being forced to use electric lights on their buggies. Everybody has jobs shuttleing them around they pay good. It seems like they really want to be with the Gentiles.

I think I'm gonna ask for some jam when I go out there again. I love Amish.

4136LuDe6vL.jpg

metis

You would have a better chance of seeing an Amish that has been shunned. You could probally find one on an Amish type dating site. I love Amish.
BTW, the author of a book I have on the Amish says that they fear shunning more than even their own death. When shunned, even their own family cannot talk or sit down to dinner with them. Also, the bishops have tremendous power over their congregations, so either one obeys or they have to leave one way or the other.

Palehorse

I'm confused a little. So "Amish" is culture and religion combined? Just like Jewish is both. Or would it be nationality and reilgion combined?...Trying to find the right words.

metis

I'm confused a little. So "Amish" is culture and religion combined? Just like Jewish is both. Or would it be nationality and reilgion combined?...Trying to find the right words.
Yes it is because it's both a religious denomination and a lifestyle, but not so much a nationality. Even though they are often referred to as "Dutch", that's actually a mispronunciation of "Deutsche", which means German. With the Old Order Amish, their services are conducted in high German and they often will just speak their own form of low German to each other. However, anyone can convert regardless of their nationality.

BTW, if you look at a Amish's watch, the time will be different than yours.

jeager106

Learning more about Jehovah.
Premium Member
Wonder if an Amish man has ever been arrested for driving while intoxicated?
Doubtful if the HORSE was sober.:D:D

metis

Wonder if an Amish man has ever been arrested for driving while intoxicated?
Doubtful if the HORSE was sober.:D:D
Cute.

But on the serious side, there's all too often car-buggy accidents, and it's always the buggies that lose. If a buggy is doing 5 mph, and a car is on the same road doing 55 mph, well... :(

Palehorse

Cute.

But on the serious side, there's all too often car-buggy accidents, and it's always the buggies that lose. If a buggy is doing 5 mph, and a car is on the same road doing 55 mph, well... :(

Not always...

Clark County (WQOW) - A man died over the weekend after striking a horse and buggy in Clark County.

It happened Saturday night in the Township of Withee. The Clark County Sheriff's Office says 29-year-old Thai Vue was traveling on STH 29 when he struck an unmanned horse and buggy head-on. The horse and buggy had freed itself from where it was tied up earlier that evening.

Vue was pronounced dead at the scene. The sheriff's office said they don't believe alcohol was a factor. Vue, who is from the Sheboygan area, was wearing a seatbelt and was traveling alone.

The sheriff's office said this is the 7th traffic fatality in Clark County for 2016.

Is this the start of the Paulding LED Horse Buggy Light?...

Folklore
The first recorded sighting of the Paulding Light was in 1966 when a group of teenagers reported the light to a local sheriff. Since then, a number of other individuals have reported seeing the mysterious light that is said to appear nearly every night at the site.[2]

Although stories related to the light vary, the most popular legend involves the death of a railroad brakeman.[3] The legend states that the valley once contained railroad tracks and the light is the lantern of the brakeman who was killed while attempting to stop an oncoming train from colliding with railway cars stopped on the tracks. Another story claims the light is the ghost of a slain mail courier, while another says that it is the ghost of an Indian dancing on the power lines that run through the valley.[2]