• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Important Questionnaire #2: Teaching vs Learning

Please See OP Before Responding to Poll

• I am more interested in teaching my own views than I am interested in learning other people's views.

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • I am more interested in learning other people's views than I am interested in teaching my own views.

Votes: 10 25.6%
  • I am just as interested in teaching my own views as I am in learning other people's views.

Votes: 27 69.2%
  • I am neither interested in teaching my own views nor in learning other people's views.

Votes: 1 2.6%

• Total voters

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Thank you for your opinion. I do not understand it, but I do get the sense there's nothing I could say that would ever change it.
You're right. There probably isn't anything you could say to change my opinion, but I may be able to say something to help you understand it.

I voted, "I am more interested in teaching my own views than I am interested in learning other people's views." That's the choice that I think most people would probably label "self-centered" and "opinionate." When I read it, that's exactly how it came across to me. So far 30 other people have voted, and I'm the only one who has voted as I did. It's pretty hard for me to believe everybody else is being honest with themselves (or with you since you know how everyone voted). All you have to do is read a few threads on the forum to know that people are far more interested in telling people what they think than they are in hearing what other people think. You can't even go to the Comparative Religions forum without seeing one civil discussion after another turn into a heated debate. Everybody thinks they're right and that the other guy's wrong and we're all out to prove it. If I could find a genuine exchange of ideas on that forum, I'd be spending a lot more time there than I do, because despite how I voted, I am genuinely interested in other people's perspectives. I'm always looking for common ground between people and have been interested in doing just that since I was just a child. And why are the DIR forums so conscientiously moderated? If people really were here to learn about religions other than their own, they'd be asking questions of the adherents of those religions and accepting the information they received from knowledgeable sources as valid. But they don't, because in the DIR forums, you can't go in and tell people their views are wrong. Telling other people their views are wrong is what everybody really wants to do.

I probably shouldn't have voted on the poll at all, since none of the choices really pertained to me. I am interested in teaching my own views because most people have a very skewed idea about what Mormons actually believe. Since I understand my religion inside and out and am willing to address even the most awkward topics, I consider myself to be a very good source of information on the subject. That doesn't mean that I'm here to try to convince anybody that what I believe is true. I'd challenge anybody to find a post of mine in which I even approach proselytizing. That's not what I'm here for, and I think the way the option I picked is worded, it comes across like, "I'm here to convince you that I'm right and you're wrong." Maybe that was unintentional, but I think that's why more people haven't voted the way I did. The proof is in people's posts and while some people are interested in learning, a lot are here to pick apart other people's beliefs.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
@Katzpur, for the record, the current software of the Forum does not allow me -- even me -- to reveal the names of people who vote in a poll unless I set it up to do that before I publish the poll. If I set it up to that, then the software publishes the poll along with a statement to the effect that the names can be seen.

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
That's my thought as well.

I'm not here to teach or or to seek teaching.

I think more applicable would be, "I came here to express my views and to hear people express theirs".

I don't think that's the same thing as teaching.

I would see teaching is a part of sharing views, be them your own, or another's. But I see that is great, as in the end it helps teach our own selves and others may pick up some pointers they are yet to consider.

No one can change another, it is up to them as to how they react.

I personally see my views can not help the world. What are my views anyway? Just a sum of what has been offered by people that have already lived. In the end only my actions based on what I have learned and how I feel I should act towards others in life, can help others. Otherwise they are empty opinions.

Thus my purpose is only to share a Message that was given by God to help us all. I do not see that is my opinion, as that Message either has that purpose, or it does not have that purpose and people can easily find that out for themselves.

The result of that can be conversations around how we can do better and be better to each other. Other results can be people choose not to see in that Message, what I have seen it offers.

Regards Tony

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
Yeah I'm not hear to sit and teach my views.

There has to be better options for the OP.

I enjoy the scrutiny, criticism, agreement, or whatever.

Cooky

Veteran Member
I assume this is about philosophy and science not about religion or politics. ;-)

"Teaching" = explaining my views (and getting criticized) is important as I think that if I can't explain it, I haven't understood it myself.
"Learning" = listening to alternative views (and questioning them) is important as it may update my own views.

From time to time I get frustrated if someone doesn't (want to?) understand me but ultimately 1. it is my fault if I can't explain it and 2. everybody takes from the conversation what fits her/him.

You know, I find your posts very interesting and useful.

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
How does one clarify the difference?
Experience: I was walking the dog around the yard the other night, when I got this creepy feeling, like someone was watching me. I turned around and there standing next to the big oak tree in my neighbor's yard I saw a glowing shimmery shape that looked like a giant person...

View: I'm sure there are ghosts because I was walking the dog and saw a ghost! It was the ghost of Old Jobe Givens, who was executed wrongly back in aught-five...that's 1705...