• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Important Questionnaire #2: Teaching vs Learning

Please See OP Before Responding to Poll

• I am more interested in teaching my own views than I am interested in learning other people's views.

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • I am more interested in learning other people's views than I am interested in teaching my own views.

Votes: 10 25.6%
  • I am just as interested in teaching my own views as I am in learning other people's views.

Votes: 27 69.2%
  • I am neither interested in teaching my own views nor in learning other people's views.

Votes: 1 2.6%

• Total voters

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
This questionnaire is important to me: I am gathering member feedback to help me make better policy decisions. Please help out by responding to it.

Please pick which one of these four options is closest to the truth. If you do not see an option that suits you, please accept this poll was not designed for you, and move on.

OPTION ONE: I am more interested in teaching my own views than I am interested in learning other people's views.

OPTION TWO: I am more interested in learning other people's views than I am interested in teaching my own views.

OPTION THREE: I am just as interested in teaching my own views as I am in learning other people's views.

OPTION FOUR: I am neither interested in teaching my own views nor in learning other people's views.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
I assume this is about religion and not about politics.

I'll vote a revised OPTION THREE:

I am as interested in sharing my own views as seems useful as I am in learning other people's views when they have a perspective or belief which is new to me or when they have some personal comments about why those beliefs are meaningful.

Discussion:

The "just as interested"/"not interested" is too absolutist for me. I'm much more situational. Of course my ego is happy to share my correct view of whatever, but the "better angel of my nature" also wants to connect with others.

I'm interested in sharing (not teaching) my views with those who are interested in hearing them. I emphasize sharing because I'm not a teacher. I have no attainment that would put me in the role of a teacher (guru/minister).

I'm not particularly interested in learning that someone has the same views as I've already read about multiple times already especially if they post scriptural quotes that go on and on and on.

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
This questionnaire is important to me: I am gathering member feedback to help me make better policy decisions. Please help out by responding to it.

Please pick which one of these four options is closest to the truth. If you do not see an option that suits you, please accept this poll was not designed for you, and move on.

OPTION ONE: I am more interested in teaching my own views than I am interested in learning other people's views.

OPTION TWO: I am more interested in learning other people's views than I am interested in teaching my own views.

OPTION THREE: I am just as interested in teaching my own views as I am in learning other people's views.

OPTION FOUR: I am neither interested in teaching my own views nor in learning other people's views.

None of those are applicable, so I will move on :D

Regards Tony

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Something tells me this poll is not going to be accurate in the slightest, particularly since you're a staff member and will know who responded in each way.

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
I'm more interested in learning.

Something tells me this poll is not going to be accurate in the slightest, particularly since you're a staff member and will know who responded in each way.

Heehee. I totally got this post.

Defendant: "Please your honour, I don't have a single bad bone in my body"

Prosecutor: "Well according to your medical exam it appears you have osteoporosis"

Judge: "Guilty"

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member

Thank you for your opinion. I do not understand it, but I do get the sense there's nothing I could say that would ever change it.

Heyo

Veteran Member
I assume this is about religion and not about politics.
I assume this is about philosophy and science not about religion or politics. ;-)

"Teaching" = explaining my views (and getting criticized) is important as I think that if I can't explain it, I haven't understood it myself.
"Learning" = listening to alternative views (and questioning them) is important as it may update my own views.

From time to time I get frustrated if someone doesn't (want to?) understand me but ultimately 1. it is my fault if I can't explain it and 2. everybody takes from the conversation what fits her/him.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Nobody is. But anything new we can gain is always a plus, though, it may be hard to come by... I think.

...I'm always looking for new angles to observe things from. I consider that a gain too.

Yes, good points.
My interest tends to be tied more to people acting in good faith and with transparency. People like that, in particular those who look at issues from a different perspective to me (cultural, religious, gender, or whatever) are gold.

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member

Other I am interested in learning new, different and strange views and am only interested in teaching those that want to learn

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
Teaching and learning are the two ends of the same piece of string.
viewpoint puts you at one end or the other.
Because they are so connected the teacher can become the learner at any moment.
learning is for the most part an active pleasure. while passive teaching can pass with out notice.
learning by watching is usually passive and has become the stock in trade of Youtube, which has become an essential depository of obsolescent and ancient skills.

As a species Man passes along much of what he has learned to the next generation. It has become the essential driver of civilization.

I am interested in other points of view and sometimes promoting my own, However I far prefer to learn and pass on skills. in the great scheme of things individual Views and opinions are often of little value.