• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Imperfections

EightyOne

Well, it depends what an imperfection is. You would have to define what it means to be "perfect" before that question could be answered.

retrorich

SUPER NOT-A-MOD
For practical purposes, perfection is defined by consensus of popular opinion. (e.g., a girl who is deemed a "perfect 10"). These opinions vary according to age, location, social class, economic status, religion, etc., and are constantly changing.

The only perfect people I've encountered were perfect fools (e.g., George W. Bush). :eek:

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
Perfection... is it form or function?

The most beautiful woman in the world may be infertile. Is she still perfect? (Other than in her own mind, that is.)

Ceridwen018

I agree that 'perfect' is a very difficult idea to pin down--we all have our own ideas of what 'perfect' is. (Some like mountains, some like the beach, whadya gonna do?). For the sake of the thread though, I suppose that we should assume there is a universal idea of perfection that we can all agree on. In my opinion, if we did not have imperfections, life would be perfect, obviously. We may all be the same, as was suggested by MV, but that wouldn't be a negative thing, because life would be perfect.

Lets see here though: I think we might be able to all agree that if a life is perfect, it would make us happy, am I right? Thats kind of a universal idea of perfection right there I guess.

Perfection is an abstract concept at best- not a reality. That's the point. Maybe it could be a reality if there was just one person in the world - then there could be consensus about what perfection actually is. The only other way to attain perfection is to lower its standards - which would conflict with perfection as an abstraction -perfection equalling "good enough" isn't really the definition.

I think the real question is why do we care about perfection in the first - why do we need perfection as a concept? Is it a cultural phenomenon or a human one?

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Is it possible that the concept of perfection ultimately arises because of the way our brains are wired? If it seems that there is no perfection in nature, but that rather the concept of perfection is a human construct, then is the human capacity to think of things as perfect or imperfect something we are born with at least a tendency towards doing?

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Simon the Cat said:
Is the concept of perfection found across all cultures/religions?
I don't know, Simon. I scratch my head but can't recall ever having heard that the concept of perfection is found across all cultures. It would be highly interesting either way -- whether it was or wasn't ubiquitous.

I would expect that there are cultural differences about what's perfect, but that all cultures have some concept of perfection. But whether my expectations have any merit or not is beyond my knowledge.

jewscout

Religious Zionist
Lightkeeper said:
What would life be like if we had no imperfections? Who decides what an imperfection is?
if everything were perfect....life would be boring....and i would have an anxiety attack. I don't believe in perfection...if someone were perfect that leads me to believe something is really really wrong.:eek: