• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I'm a retired cop. Wanna hear how it really is?

jeager106

Learning more about Jehovah.
Premium Member
I meant to write "Wanna HEAR" not here. Duh!

I'm white. I served 22.5 years in the mean streets.
My city was at least 40% ethnic, mostly African American Blacks.
I joined the force at the tail end of the race riots in the late 60's & early 70's.
Black people HATED me tho I was raised very poor right along side of many of those I dealt with.
This nation got started off badly by allowing slavery in the south.
This nation fought a bloody Civil War to end this abomination. 600,000 dead at least
and who knows how many wounded physically and mentally?
Former slaves had a tough time being accepted in the new "free" culture.
A free culture in name only as we all know.
The real black hero's were Fredrick Douglas (a personal hero of mine) and Dr. Carver, the Tuskegee
Airmen, those of the only black tank Division that fought in WWII with great courage, and
not in the least Dr. King.
In order to do something to help black our government began paying blacks to live.
Paying them to have children, giving away free NEW hoses, and grand educational opportunities.
This is a very brief synopsis of welfare but I think the points will be made.
This started a multi-generational "gimme" attitude of "entitlement".
"I'm black, I'm young, and it's YOUR fault I'm po' and live in da hood".
When I was a cop we arrested people caught shoplifting. Most all were young blacks.
I've searched black thieves cars and found trunks FULL of expensive clothing stolen
from who knows where?
Parents of these thieving young people simply took them from custody without a word said
against stealing. Hmmm?
I am not racist I am realistic.
We created a monster of young blacks who feel entitled to do what they want and when caught
they protest. Now everyone has video and the video we see on the news is the portion of the
event that looks the worse for authority and the best for victims.
When a white cop reacts badly it gets national attention. It should.
But do we see the whole picture?
Have you ever been surrounded by hundreds of black people threatening, cursing, advancing
upon your alone self?
I HAVE! It ain't pretty.
I NEVER went for the gun. I remained totally calm as I'm NOT afraid of blacks. I grew up with
blacks. Turned out to my credit in the long run.
We live in a world of African Americans many of whom grew up without a father and on the
benefits of the government (read tax payers).
Young blacks live in an aura of entitlement without responsibility.
Our nation is coming unglued and it's going to get even uglier.
The black citizens of America have FAILED completely to assimilate into the American culture.
Dr. King would be revolted to see what's happened to an entire race of humans that live in a
gimme more culture.
There, that's one cops take that's been there done that.

Last edited:

Wirey

Fartist
That's an overgeneralization and you know it. The friggin' President is black. A lot of black people have climbed out from under, but being black still marks you. Anyone remember that story about the college professor who got arrested for being in his own back yard? I also grew up in a predominately black neighbourhood, and I will be eternally grateful that I have good skin.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
I hear what you say.........I know you are generalizing but I'm with you on your general appraisal and emotions....Whites and white police are just a small part of the inner-city problems.......The level of behavioral (criminal and social) problems is the real root of the crisis,,,,,,,,,if these problems were reduced you would see problems with whites and white police dramatically reduce...and this feeding into a victim mentality into forever by the press and liberal leaders is just wedging the divide further.....

Last edited:

jeager106

Premium Member
That's an overgeneralization and you know it. The friggin' President is black. A lot of black people have climbed out from under, but being black still marks you. Anyone remember that story about the college professor who got arrested for being in his own back yard? I also grew up in a predominately black neighbourhood, and I will be eternally grateful that I have good skin.

Of course it's an over generalization. To delve into all the social aspects would
take a book written by a team of Phd's.
It's one persons generalization based an real life experiences and that's all it
is.
I lived in a nice upper class home in the country in a 36 square mile township with zero
black residents. Our new neighbors were a black couple with the issued two kids.
Both were college educated professionals.
Their parents were share croppers that put ALL their kids thru college.
I know there are those that excel but look at the majority that live on the dole.
The gimme group is now a multi-generational group of entitlement people.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I meant to write "Wanna HEAR" not here. Duh!

I'm white. I served 22.5 years in the mean streets.
My city was at least 40% ethnic, mostly African American Blacks.
I joined the force at the tail end of the race riots in the late 60's & early 70's.
Black people HATED me tho I was raised very poor right along side of many of those I dealt with.
This nation got started off badly by allowing slavery in the south.
This nation fought a bloody Civil War to end this abomination. 600,000 dead at least
and who knows how many wounded physically and mentally?
Former slaves had a tough time being accepted in the new "free" culture.
A free culture in name only as we all know.
The real black hero's were Fredrick Douglas (a person hero of mine) and Dr. Carver, the Tuskegee
Airmen, those of the only black tank Division that fought in WWII with great courage, and
not in the least Dr. King.
In order to do something to help black our government began paying blacks to live.
Paying them to have children, giving away free NEW hoses, and grand educational opportunities.
This is a very brief synopsis of welfare but I think the points will be made.
This started a multi-generational "gimme" attitude of "entitlement".
"I'm black, I'm young, and it's YOUR fault I'm po' and live in da hood".
When I was a cop we arrested people caught shoplifting. Most all were young blacks.
I've searched black thieves cars and found trunks FULL of expensive clothing stolen
from who knows where?
Parents of these thieving young people simply took them from custody without a word said
against stealing. Hmmm?
I am not racist I am realistic.
We created a monster of young blacks who feel entitled to do what they want and when caught
they protest. Now everyone has video and the video we see on the news is the portion of the
event that looks the worse for authority and the best for victims.
When a white cop reacts badly it gets national attention. It should.
But do we see the whole picture?
Have you ever been surrounded by hundreds of black people threatening, cursing, advancing
upon your alone self?
I HAVE! It ain't pretty.
I NEVER went for the gun. I remained totally calm as I'm NOT afraid of blacks. I grew up with
blacks. Turned out to my credit in the long run.
We live in a world of African Americans many of whom grew up without a father and on the
benefits of the government (read tax payers).
Young blacks live in an aura of entitlement without responsibility.
Our nation is coming unglued and it's going to get even uglier.
The black citizens of America have FAILED completely to assimilate into the American culture.
Dr. King would be revolted to see what's happened to an entire race of humans that live in a
gimme more culture.
There, that's one cops take that's been there done that.
I frubaled you for your candor, & cuz you're really gonna get it for this post.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I re-read the accounts given by Gates (the prof) & Crowley (the cop).
These 2 guys were a bad match for each other.
But the cop didn't have reasonable cause to arrest Gates, whose sole offense was being a jerk.
We have the right to be jerks in Americastan!
(But I also know to be much more careful around cops.)

jeager106

Premium Member
I frubaled you for your candor, & cuz you're really gonna get it for this post.

Yes indeed I am. What I say flies in the face of conventional "wisdom".
The white mans guilt has never been so exploited. (aw man I'm really gonna get it now):confused:
There is NO DOUBT that blacks STILL have a hard time in this still largely white
society. I've seen that also in my over 2 decades of police work.
No other minority culture in the history of this vast melting pot of a country has
been so coddled and catered to than the former slave class.
Italians, Jews, Catholics, Irish, and gawd knows the Native Americans, and many
others have been horribly treated by white Christians but ALL made their own way
eventually and did it without being on the dole generation after generation.
I dunno. Maybe we should give every black child born $100,000 bucks to invest towards
an education?
But how does one instill self pride and self respect? I'm at a loss to suggest anything.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Yes indeed I am. What I say flies in the face of conventional "wisdom".
The white mans guilt has never been so exploited. (aw man I'm really gonna get it now):confused:
There is NO DOUBT that blacks STILL have a hard time in this still largely white
society. I've seen that also in my over 2 decades of police work.
No other minority culture in the history of this vast melting pot of a country has
been so coddled and catered to than the former slave class.
Italians, Jews, Catholics, Irish, and gawd knows the Native Americans, and many
others have been horribly treated by white Christians but ALL made their own way
eventually and did it without being on the dole generation after generation.
It certainly is something to rise above.
Story time.....
I heard an interview on NPR with a guy (presumably black) who is heavily involved with a program to prepare young black kids for work & peaceful coexistence. Seldom do I hear interviews which make me think.....hey, I want to meet this guy! The interviewer asked him about discouragement from the knowledge that black folk earn some percentage less than white folk. His response was quick & cutting.....he didn't care because we're all individuals with our own capabilities to make our way in the world. No victimization politics, no woe-is-me rhetoric, no mention of "privilege"....just giving people the tools to succeed.
Why did this impress me so?
I've worked with a few black folk who blame their lack of success on external factors, when really they lacked drive. But the ones I knew with ambition got ahead. It's possible to inculcate failure in people. We shouldn't allow that to happen.

Jumi

By assimilation you mean following the rules or becoming culturally "Anglo-Saxon Protestant"?

jeager106

Premium Member
I wish I had a word for the type of smile I get when I sit there and read this, knowing how much shoplifting I did growing up.

I basically break the law everyday and have never really encountered the police.

OH YEAH? YER UNDER ARREST DIRTBAG!:gun::gun:

I JUST DISCOVERED EMOJI SMILES.
Just kidding. When sis & I were little mumsie encouraged us to steal toys from stores.
When the clerks caught us mumsie would slap snot out of us saying " I taught you
better than that!" Very confusing.

:hugehug:

jeager106

Premium Member
By assimilation you mean following the rules or becoming culturally "Anglo-Saxon Protestant"?

You know perfectly well what I mean and it has nothing to do with the remark you made
which is an bare face attempt at baiting me into a racist remark which I won't fall for.
I mean ethics, values, that we all expect. Like earning your own way, following your own dreams, overcoming barriers, being a part of rather than apart from.
That is a struggle. We all should know that. All ethnic groups that settled in the land
of "milk and honey" have faced such adversity and no one demands they be white
Anglo-Saxon protestants.
Geeezzzzz, don't you know Catholic priests were linched only for being Catholics!

jeager106

Premium Member
I re-read the accounts given by Gates (the prof) & Crowley (the cop).
These 2 guys were a bad match for each other.
But the cop didn't have reasonable cause to arrest Gates, whose sole offense was being a jerk.
We have the right to be jerks in Americastan!
(But I also know to be much more careful around cops.)

When dealing with a person in uniform wearing a badge and armed and trained a little
common sense and a bit of respect is a sign of intelligence.
I occasionally get stopped by cops and "sir" the hell out of them and act very much
like the scared old guy I am.
How do I know where the cop just came from? What he/she just dealt with?
I've gone from helping an invalid back into bed to fighting for my life in five minutes.

dust1n

Zindīq
Just kidding. When sis & I were little mumsie encouraged us to steal toys from stores.
When the clerks caught us mumsie would slap snot out of us saying " I taught you
better than that!" Very confusing.

She taught you better than getting caught!

In all seriousness though, I expect anyone to find it difficult to take on responsibility for an action, including broke kids and cops. Also, many ghettos were purposefully segregated, and problems ignored for so long. It wouldn't be "you" responsible for it though, cause, you are on the housing board, or whatever.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
upon your alone self?
I HAVE! It ain't pretty.

Yes, probably nothing to do with your thread, but it reminded me. I was a white kid in a predominately white neighborhood where they bused the black folks from downtown to our junior high school so they would have an equal opportunity for education. Anyway they decided to riot, I don't know why, but I got caught alone as they ran in to take over the school. As you say it wasn't pretty. I got beaten pretty bad, didn't try to defend myself. I was rescued by a assistant principle who happen to also be black. He got mad at me for being alone. Maybe, I was in the wrong place at the wrong time.

When I went to High School it was reversed. We were bused downtown where again I was beaten and robbed by some black students. People justify their actions because the color of someone's skin. It happens.

I don't really know how to fix that in someone else, but I can fix it in myself.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Reminds me of my dad's family, all white, rather large, and except for a few all on welfare, very lazy, and with a very over inflated sense of entitlement. And all the other white people I've known who milk the system, and feel that everything should be given to them (It may just be me, but it seems to be the worst among rich kids).
And Leonard Peltier, who is still in prison for a crime he did not commit, who was sentenced at a very unfair trial. And many of the other problems faced by Native Americans today, still, which have stemmed from centuries of abuse at the hands of a government who thought it would be ok to take what was theirs, and a European culture that worked very hard to eradicate Native culture.
Of course there are also a good number of bad people within the black community, but over-generalizations tend to suck anyway you put them.
As does the notion of "white guilt." Although for me it can be amusing at times, given that Irish slavery happened and a stray branch of my family tree, on my mom's side, comes from Abraham Lincoln.

jeager106

Premium Member
Hmmm. I don't know where to begin with you, jeager. :D
Thread title edited for you, jeager.

Thanks for editing my spelling faux pau.
Diedre darlin', just say what you feel. I seldom take offense to electrons on a screen and
you are perfectly entitled to say what you feel. Besides I respect you very much.
Now I'm going to post something right below on the opposite side of the spectrum.

Deidre

Okay. lol
As I read your original post, I'm reminded that I don't know and never will know, what it's like to be a cop. And I don't know what it's like to be an african american living in a society that is largely governed and managed by whites. I don't know what it's like to be poor. I don't know what it's like to be on welfare, and if it's fair to call such a way of life 'entitlements.' You see, unless we truly have walked in someone else's shoes...we just don't know. You may see many african americans as coming off with entitlement attitudes, but it could be the only life they have ever known...or witnessed in their families. It is often said that a woman who has issues with her dad, will have trust issues with other men. I can attest to that statement. But, for those men who I have hurt, they don't care about the 'whys' of how I arrive at my distrust, but rather...they just chastise me...and blanket statement me. But, they don't understand me. Likewise, I don't understand the life of a cop. Or the life of a black person. Or the life of very poor person living in a dangerous neighborhood. For that was never my life. But, I can have compassion for those who I don't understand. And until we try to understand others more...we will continue to fight one another. Men against women. Blacks against whites. Religions against religions. It's easy to blanket statement people whom we don't understand, even if how they live their lives is beyond comprehension.

That's how I see it, fwiw.