• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I'm a Noahide

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
Hate to burst your bubble, but there is no such thing. You are using a Jewish term that only has meaning within Judaism. It’s like the term heathen. The term only has meaning within Christianity. A heathen is a person who is not Jewish or Christian. But those who are not Jewish or Christian do not refer to themselves as a heathen.

No, I don't think so. You may not understand the relevance of the term however it is 'real' ,and though it might be a term 'within Judaism', it doesn't preclude one calling oneself that.

roger1440

I do stuff
There is a Noahide movement. Also, Germanic polytheists frequently call themselves Heathens and call their religion Heathenry as a reclaimed word. What you're saying is like saying no one calls themselves a Pagan. :rolleyes:
Do you know of any religion or sect that goes by the Noahide code that is not affiliated in any way with Judaism? Anything from the Middle East should be taken off the table immediately. There is a strong possibility many religions from the Middle East have a common ancestry.

Tarheeler

Argumentative Curmudgeon
Premium Member
The idea of the Noahide is that there is, simply put, a set of seven commandments that were given to Noah and that all of mankind is meant to follow.

The specific commandments are:
The prohibition of idolatry.
The prohibition of murder.
The prohibition of theft.
The prohibition of sexual immorality.
The prohibition of blasphemy.
The prohibition of eating flesh taken from an animal while it is still alive.
The requirement of maintaining courts to provide legal recourse.

Any individual, whether they belong to an existing religion or not, who follows these 7 laws is a Noahide, and is considered a "righteous gentile". One can be a Muslim, a Christian, a Buddhist, or a member of any other group, and still follow the Noahide covenant.

While there are modern movements who identify as their own religion, that isn't the sole meaning of the term.

Last edited:

roger1440

I do stuff
The Noahide code is a view taken solely from a perspective from within Judaism.

From the Jewish Encyclopedia: “Laws which were supposed by the Rabbis to have been binding upon mankind at large even before the revelation at Sinai, and which are still binding upon non-Jews.” LAWS, NOACHIAN - JewishEncyclopedia.com

Note the word Rabbi. A Rabbi exists solely within Judaism. If Judaism is taken out of the equation the Noahide code is meaningless.

Last edited:

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
The Noahide code is a view taken solely from a perspective from within Judaism.

From the Jewish Encyclopedia: “Laws which were supposed by the Rabbis to have been binding upon mankind at large even before the revelation at Sinai, and which are still binding upon non-Jews.” LAWS, NOACHIAN - JewishEncyclopedia.com

Note the word Rabbi. A Rabbi exists solely within Judaism. If Judaism is taken out of the equation the Noahide code is meaningless.

Why are you still spouting nonsense on this thread?

You clearly don't understand the subject matter, I'm requesting that if you wish to argue about whatever it is you are arguing about, you don't do it on this thread.

Last edited:

Sariel

Heretic
It gets really hard to tell the difference between Ben Noach/God-Fearer/Ger Toshav after a while. Of course I still believe Yeshua to be the messiah, but ehh my title is broad enough since my beliefs don't really totally agree with anyone.

Ah, sorry. I can't judge since I would go back and forth between Catholicism, Satanism, Luciferianism and Paganism. Sometimes I still get interested in other things, but I'm staying Catholic since none of the other stuff ever ends up working out for me and Jesus keeps pulling me back.
If you get bored again, maybe we can start an Ahriman cult for the lolz one day.

Flankerl

What really confuses me in this thread is the growing confusion even after the wiki link was posted.

But dude thats the same for each and every Religion out there.

esmith

Veteran Member
Let me put it this way. There are those that believes in a God as put forth in what Christians call the Old Testament yet disagrees with the concept put forth in what Christians call the New Testament yet thinks it is possible that a person named Jesus existed but only as a prophet. We are not Jewish, yet we still follow some of the Jewish laws. I for one would feel uncomfortable attending service in a Synagog over a long period of time and not convert to Judaisms. Yes, there are Synagog's that welcome non-Jews and grant membership to them. So, if I am ever asked what religious concept I adhere to, which was only asked of me once when I joined the service, I would have to say Noahide since that is the closet "religion" that I associate with.
One other point I would like to set straight. When I was young I attended a Protestant church but ceased to attend any religious church after joining the service (except for boot camp). Fifty some years later I went with my wife to a local church that she and a neighbor was going to. It seemed that the minister and congregation were of the mindset that if you did not believe that Jesus was God you were damned. Now I did not get into a direct confrontation with the minister but he sensed my feelings after a couple of conversations. It got to the point that I was uncomfortable attending and this transferred to my wife. We stopped attending that church and tried a couple of more with the same results. Now, I may not be totally remembering the concept when I was in school (40's-50's) but it seems to me that the concept was that Jesus was just the son of God but not God. Somehow this concept seemed to change and the Bible is taken as totally literally vice in some cases figuratively in many instances. Thus to rationalize my own beliefs I could no longer be considered a follower of the "New Testament" as it is now presented. Hence the idea of Noahidism seemed to conform to what I think I believe.

Brian Schuh

The term "Noahide" is a polite word meaning "Gentile." All Gentiles are Noahides and are obligated to keep the Seven Laws of Noah. Those who keep the Seven Laws are observant Noahides. One could argue that if Judaism didn't exist, then the term "Gentile" would be meaningless. And yet, people of God have kept the Seven Laws for hundreds of years before there ever was such a person we call a Jew. So this way of life predates the Jewish people.

Brian Schuh

As a noahide, I have second class status in Israel, which is better than a Palestinian. Just like the People of the Book are second class in Islamic countries, better than an infidel.

But I live in America, if a Jew treats me second class here, I'll say, Get off my land, go back to Israel. I am Native American and I took the oath to uphold the Constitution.

Not all Noahides call themselves Noahides, they just keep the Seven Laws. I could register as a Noahide, but I don't. I hold that all men are created equal.

If Jews think they are better than me, well Jesus would even give crumbs from the children to give it to dogs. The Seven Laws are the crumbs. I am more than a Noahide, much more.

Jews are ethnocentric. Without Gentiles, they would not exist, and yet they ask why Gentiles were even created. Look, I don't let it make me anti-Semitic. Even the Amish feel better than the English. Let them believe what they want.

Brian Schuh

I never heard of Noahidism, so I had to look it up on the internet.

I appears to be a branch of Judaism.

I could be wrong, but I don't think you can convert to Noahide. Nor just decide to be one. Don't you have to be born one from Jewish parents?

hmmmm...
Noahide literally means a Gentile. An observant Noahide keeps the Seven Laws of Noah and believes the five principles of faith. If one had Jewish parents, then he would be a Jew, not a Noahide. I am a Noahide.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
If Jews think they are better than me, well Jesus would even give crumbs from the children to give it to dogs. The Seven Laws are the crumbs. I am more than a Noahide, much more.

You called yourself a Noahide, now are implying that you don't really like the label? Why even use the word if you don't really like it?.

Last edited:

Whiterain

Get me off of this planet
Focus on the power of word... Agents come and go..

Few experience the voice of the Lord. :D

Some conspire... I don't even know.. that was like 10,000 years ago.,

Things are hard... Stupid dumb... Strife.

People argue formal articulated dogma.... All dat and God as the wan o the sun... God the wan of the sun. Anyway, many many gods. I berest me in this idiotic world.

That one's welll bread.

oh Polytheism... Judae is mind numbing. I speak as plain as he wills.

Last edited:

Whiterain

Get me off of this planet
Well what has been accomplished is done. I'm pretty exhausted. Don't know about that solar flare just yet.

Learn something new every day. It's all fun and games until someone takes morbid and unreasonable offense in disrespect.

I'm just plain out of jokes now.

o7