• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I'll be honest.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Thanks for sharing.

I'm 4 years into the realization you are having now....

At first it was strange, but I knew the feel was right.
I embraced it and found a way within the Way that spoke to me.

If you want something to feed your head and heart at the same time,
I'd recommend looking into the rich mystic history of Catholicism and the early church writings.

It's working.... whatever that means ;)
That's what I wanted to say....

I still have some WTF-am I doing days, LoL,
but that's because I'm not letting go of my mind,
and embracing the experience of the practice.

I am hopeful you too will have peace in your decision.

:namaste

SageTree

Thank you so much. :hugs:

Yes, it's a matter of mind being like "what am I doing" but my heart feels right and I'm in a good mood.

You know want to know something weird? In Sunday's newspaper, my horoscope basically said that I feel like I've strayed from the religious traditions that have grounded me and that I will be returning to them. Well, that's one horoscope that hit it right on the head.

SageTree

Spiritual Friend
Premium Member
Thank you so much. :hugs:

Yes, it's a matter of mind being like "what am I doing" but my heart feels right and I'm in a good mood.

You know want to know something weird? In Sunday's newspaper, my horoscope basically said that I feel like I've strayed from the religious traditions that have grounded me and that I will be returning to them. Well, that's one horoscope that hit it right on the head.

Nice little reminder :)

I'm glad I could share something useful.

One thing I'll say definitely is that I'm still radically inclusive of other view points.
But, after wishing to settle into a practice and sort of 'let go' into it,
I decided to go where I knew my way around a bit more in the language and text....

Eventually I found a language that I knew from else-where, that touched me.

After I embarked into the mystic writings, I knew I'd found the golden link,
between something that helped me free up my mind and fly,
but also honour my roots, where I started.... and truthfully, also feel I can't 'escape'. :)
But definitely not in a bad sense.

More and more I realize I looked a lot of places,
but with a little more digging I could have easily found a way to the same places,
and gathered the same gems that I experienced in other traditions.

Bless!

There's nothing wrong with that. I was raised Catholic myself and I often think of going back. Some people just feel called to different things about different religions. Some people can handle a more solitary path and others cannot, some people feel strongly about the aesthetics and doctrines of one religion over another. I personally don't plan to go back for some time yet but if it's how you feel, it's how you feel. It doesn't mean you're afraid to commit. Questioning and searching is normal and healthy. You can always try to back, then decide if you want to stay or search some more.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
I like Catholicism. Not all of it, of course. And I don't believe it.

In a way it's like Islam. It's been around a long time and has dragged some icky cultural baggage from the olden days. But most Catholics don't care about that old stuff. It is a remarkably inclusive group really.

Tom

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Complete lack of belief. I have more belief in the hereditary witchcraft.. er.. thing that is a family thing. But I also fail to practice anything on my own which leaves me doubly unfulfilled. C'est la vie.

I know how that feels. That's how I was with the LHP stuff. I never actually did any rituals or anything. Just talked about it.

Drolefille

PolyPanGeekGirl
I know how that feels. That's how I was with the LHP stuff. I never actually did any rituals or anything. Just talked about it.

In many ways it (paganism of some sort) still FEELS the most right to me, but I've always been lazy about follow through on this sort of thing. The one time I remember going to Mass enthusiastically was in college as I went to a Jesuit university and had a student 10pm Mass on Sundays. It was wonderful. It's the reason I love the smell of incense and burn pine or frankincense almost exclusively at home. And everyone there wanted to BE there and participated and it was lovely. I did still not go as often as I should have.

But I don't have that experience in my hometown and I also don't believe so I don't attend for the ritual either.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
In many ways it (paganism of some sort) still FEELS the most right to me, but I've always been lazy about follow through on this sort of thing. The one time I remember going to Mass enthusiastically was in college as I went to a Jesuit university and had a student 10pm Mass on Sundays. It was wonderful. It's the reason I love the smell of incense and burn pine or frankincense almost exclusively at home. And everyone there wanted to BE there and participated and it was lovely. I did still not go as often as I should have.

But I don't have that experience in my hometown and I also don't believe so I don't attend for the ritual either.

It's can be very difficult because with Paganism, you are the one who needs to perform the rituals. You need to buy or make all the supplies, figure out what you want to do and perform it. It's not like with Mass where you just show up and participate. That's one of the reasons why I'm going back to church because I miss the ritual so much and there's no way I could replicate a high Mass at a neo-Gothic cathedral in my apartment!

Drolefille

PolyPanGeekGirl
It's can be very difficult because with Paganism, you are the one who needs to perform the rituals. You need to buy or make all the supplies, figure out what you want to do and perform it. It's not like with Mass where you just show up and participate. That's one of the reasons why I'm going back to church because I miss the ritual so much and there's no way I could replicate a high Mass at a neo-Gothic cathedral in my apartment!

Well yeah but I didn't go to Mass regularly either was my point :p

Also local churches vs campus church are very different.