• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If you were a theist what would you be?

Revasser

Terrible Dancer
It seems to me that most people don't understand the question. The question is if you were a theist what would you be, not if you were religious what would you be.

Are you asking if we'd be montheists, polytheists, henotheists, panentheists?

Or are you asking if we'd turn into toads or something if we were theists?

Or is this one of those jokes where the punchline is too long in coming and not funny when it finally arrives?

mhiggs

I would be a theist and nothing else. I would not be part of any man-made religion because they all worship man-made gods. If there is a god, I sincerely doubt that it's anything like what these people have made up

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Buddhism and Zen Buddhism are explicitly Atheist religions and Taoism is non-theistic. Not sure why people categorize them as "Theist religions."

(I know there's many Buddhist sects that have deities and prayers, but that's not scripture based.)

That is true. I would think referances to "theism" in Buddhism rises out of the fact that in acknowledging the universe as it is, we know that it is not completely devoid of life by the fact that we can communicate with each other. Just need to approach it without embellishing and fabricating anything to it.

I suppose if I was a theist in an embellished sense, I would likely revert to a Deistic position. I think Christianity is too far gone for any return engagement on a personal level. -NM-

SageTree

Spiritual Friend
Premium Member
I really like what Nowhere Man said.

The theistic likeness in my opinion closely resembles the complete and utter reverence for the moment.
And since we are part of that moment of the causation and phenomena , it seems to be a tendency that there is the noun like "Is-ness" hovering, but not transcendent, in the language of Mindfulness.

Is that ego still creating a dualism or is that my error in explaining something that gets lost in word? Or Both?

I feel there is lots of room for Breath in the Sanatana Dharma, particularly Vedenta, and if I were to go Abrahamic, although I was raised Christian, I feel I philosophically understand the presentation of Sufi-Islam with relation to the Trinity, mostly that there isn't one.

I believe the closest I come to understanding the "Divine" , right now, would be the in the language of Paganism, which my Wife practices or Tao-ism, which is to say vauge and formless at best.

In fairness to practitioners of those beliefs I mentioned, that is my personal experience/impression of them.

And to Buddhist, which is my Practice, I humbly respect your opinions and insights. :namaste Thank you. I hope I didn't trample any toes. Language can be cold and off the mark, but it's fun to try to capture in word Truths anyways, thanks for taking a whack at the proverbial cosmic pinata.

:namaste
SageTree

Last edited:

djarm67

If you were a theist what would you be?
It would be dependent on which version of theism had the independently verifiable evidence that the particular God or gods actually existed.