• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If you love suffering, it loses it's power

Do you agree that loving suffering is a helpful quality to have

• Yes

Votes: 4 36.4%
  • No

Votes: 7 63.6%

• Total voters

Spiderman

Veteran Member
It is normal to love pleasure and hate suffering. However, pursuing pleasure and comfort often just increases suffering.

For me this world is just too complicated, bitter, filled with suffering, depression, and annoyances. Any Athlete however knows that suffering and resistance builds strength.

I find when I hate the suffering, it just makes things worse. When I love the suffering, suffering loses it's power.
(I'm not advocating masochism or inflicting suffering on oneself, but we are all going to suffer and eventually die. If you receive the grace to love suffering, it will in the end lead to less suffering. So, if you have a God or gods who gives you graces, pray for the grace to love suffering.)
bible-videos-jesus-crucifixion-1426670-print.jpg

Matthew 16:24
Then Jesus said to his disciples, "Whoever wants to be my disciple must deny themselves and take up their cross and follow me.

A cross is something a person suffers and dies on. We will all have many crosses. I'm finding living to be a daily crucifixion where I have to love and embrace the cross to cope. If you are not at that point, well, I'm happy for you. May your life continue to be a happy one :)

buddhist

Equanimity in the face of suffering brings (a temporary sense of) peace, according to early Buddhism; this is true according to my own practice.

Neither love (attachment) nor fear (aversion) reduces suffering; both increase suffering. Knowledge and wisdom which dispels delusion (and its fruits - attachment and aversion) brings detachment and permanent peace.

Spiderman

Veteran Member
Equanimity in the face of suffering brings (a temporary sense of) peace, according to early Buddhism; this is true according to my own practice.

Neither love (attachment) nor fear (aversion) reduces suffering; both increase suffering. Knowledge and wisdom which dispels delusion (and its fruits - attachment and aversion) brings detachment and permanent peace.
I see where you're coming from.

When I was thinking of love the suffering, I wasn't thinking about attachment to it but rather being joyful about it, embracing it, and having a sense of high morale in the midst of it.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I just try face suffering for what it is, every time it arises.

It helps to a larger extent to understand and observe the nature by which suffering occurs and it's impact and how one reacts to it, which in turn helps in facing and dealing with those instances in a way that it's impact can be lessened .

It's direct. Not requiring an intercession or of the like, to address issues suffering causes.

buddhist

I see where you're coming from.

When I was thinking of love the suffering, I wasn't thinking about attachment to it but rather being joyful about it, embracing it, and having a sense of high morale in the midst of it.
I see no joy in suffering, nor do I embrace it; I try to not run from it either. However, I do see suffering as an opportunity to answer the question "why am I suffering in this particular instance?" and then to use that understanding to wisely correct my course to prevent that suffering from occuring in the future.

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
Accepting suffering and seeing it for what it is can rob it of its power. But loving suffering can cause any number of horrors, not only for you but for others.

There is no high moral in suffering for the sake of suffering.

Nyingjé Tso

Tänpa Yungdrung zhab pä tän gyur jig
Vanakkam,

At a time, an experience made me understand that the only thing holding me back from further spiritual growth was fear of pain.
So instead of backing away from it, to try to make physical pain go away, started to focus on it instead. To understand it. Learned what it was and there was no fear to have.
I chose for things not to hurt anymore.
Whenever it was a deep cut, a burn, anything that can happen in a daily life. I even stopped using gloves to take the food and plates out of the oven, just took it barehanded, without flinching, anything.

I still don't like pain, but am kess afraid of it now. Pain should not be loved. If you love pain, it will take over you. Instead you can understand pain, so you can have control of it, and not the other way around.

Aum Namah Shivaya

buddhist

... a faith that claimed suffering united us to God
The question is, is this dogma, or a personally known truth?

Everything we do in this world seems to tell me otherwise. There is no merit to be gained just for suffering - literally everything we do is for the purpose of alleviating suffering.

Spiderman

Veteran Member
The question is, is this dogma, or a personally known truth?

Everything we do in this world seems to tell me otherwise. There is no merit to be gained just for suffering - literally everything we do is for the purpose of alleviating suffering.
I know what you're saying, but my life has become a chronic cross and I have to do more than just accept the suffering in order to destroy it's ability to bother me.

Perhaps "love suffering" is too strong a choice of words (and it sounds insane), but I totally have to embrace it and see it as a good thing in order to truly live most contently with it.

Spiderman

Veteran Member
If loving suffering leads to less suffering, well then it isn't unhealthy or suffering for the sake of suffering imho

Spiderman

Veteran Member
let me ask you reader, If there are two children in Somalia starving to death, one of them hates suffering, one of them loves suffering, which do you think suffers more? Which one would you rather be?

Since they don't get to have food, it is their attitude about suffering that makes all the difference in the world.

If loving suffering leads to less suffering, then it is the approach to take even by those in search of pain relief :D

Last edited by a moderator:

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I don't know of anyone loving suffering with exception to maybe a form of insanity.

If it's understood better, it's easier to cope in respect to why it's there, and it's occurance depending on the severity of the episode.

A child with the better insight might follow a better course of action in how suffering is dealt with or endured, by way of the effects suffering causes at the onset, it's duration, and it's dissipation.

Spiderman

Veteran Member
Colossians 1:24
Now I rejoice in what I am suffering for you, and I fill up in my flesh what is still lacking in regard to Christ's afflictions, for the sake of his body, which is the church.

2 cor 12:10
Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in necessities, in persecutions, in distresses for Christ's sake: for when I am weak, then am I strong.

buddhist

Colossians 1:24
Now I rejoice in what I am suffering for you, and I fill up in my flesh what is still lacking in regard to Christ's afflictions, for the sake of his body, which is the church.

2 cor 12:10
Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in necessities, in persecutions, in distresses for Christ's sake: for when I am weak, then am I strong.
In light of your scripture, do you therefore purposefully seek out more suffering?

Spiderman

Veteran Member
In light of your scripture, do you therefore purposefully seek out more suffering?
No, it's a method to cope with the suffering that is forced upon me. Some of the Saints recommend people pray for the grace to love suffering.

I wish I had that grace because it would make life easier for me, because life has become constant suffering. If I loved the suffering, I'd be happy and suffer less.

But no, even with that grace, it would not be good or wise to seek out more

buddhist

because life has become constant suffering
You might wish to look into early Buddhism - if not as a religion, then as a practical life-philosophy to alleviate suffering. Much of modern-day psychology is based on early Buddhism.