• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If you lived in the same place all of your life and became board of this place and couldn't leave what would you do ?

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
This is obviously a hypothetical question.

IDK, I've always moved around. When I was young my family was always moving. When I became older. In fact I was raised on the West coast of the US, now I'm living on the East coast.

However, all these places never really felt that different to me. A house is a house. A store is a store. People are people. Scenery is scenery. And, I'm always the same so it never really felt different for me.

Have I felt bored at times? Sure. That was always dependent on me though. Whether I chose to go out and experience life or stay in the house, go to work, doing the same thing day after day. There are always things going on around you. You just got to chose to involve yourself in them. You got to chose to get out of your rut, your normal routine.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
I would need more information to answer this question.

By "place," do you mean house, town, state, country, planet?

What would be preventing me from leaving?

Everybody leaves at some point.

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
It all depends on you for example for me there is nothing I couldn't leave behind, if the situation was bad enough even family. No situation has arose that would require me to leave family and boredom never would. To release boredom, I just need to do something different.

Massimo2002

I would need more information to answer this question.

By "place," do you mean house, town, state, country, planet?

What would be preventing me from leaving?

Everybody leaves at some point.
Not true there are people who live in the same city or state there whole life.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
I finished Uni still living at home, certainly wasn't ready to move in with my girlfriend, so I figured the best way to get out of my parents house, make a few dollars, and dodge a conversation with my girlfriend about moving in together was to get a job overseas. So I did. Signed a two year contract, moved overseas and made some cash. Even better, got to fend for myself, and see some things totally different to my experience. Left a boy, came back a man, more or less.

Dan From Smithville

What we've got here is failure to communicate.
Staff member
Premium Member
I've lived in at least 17 different places over 58 years, but all in the same state. I haven't been prevented from leaving the state. Just haven't had a reason to. I've travelled outside of the state to parts all over the country.

That averages out to about one location every 3.4 years. Or one move every 3.4 years. Though, I have spent as little as 6 months and as much as 15 years in some of those locations.

I do know of people that were born, raised, lived and died in the same home town I grew up in. Different houses, but same town, county and state. The only reason I know of that they didn't leave the town was because they didn't want to. They like it, could earn a living and continually improve their lot in life over time.

Back in the late 90's they built a prison where I grew up. Now, those guys can get bored all they want and aren't leaving until they are allowed to. If at all.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
I've found myself in this situation a few times.

One thing that works for me is mixing up my schedule: I'm usually a late riser, and I don't usually leave my place until the middle of the afternoon.

When I get bored of my routine I'll try getting up early for a few days in a row and getting on the road mid-morning.

I've found it's like being in a completely different town. The morning crowd here is friendlier, people smile and say hello, cashiers havent had time to become stressed out yet, the morning rush hour is over so there's a lul in the traffic and everything is just generally less crowded more laid back.

It really is an all together different place, even in the way that the sun is in a different position so the light and shadow are reversed from what I usually see.

Edit: The air smells fresher too.

Massimo2002

I finished Uni still living at home, certainly wasn't ready to move in with my girlfriend, so I figured the best way to get out of my parents house, make a few dollars, and dodge a conversation with my girlfriend about moving in together was to get a job overseas. So I did. Signed a two year contract, moved overseas and made some cash. Even better, got to fend for myself, and see some things totally different to my experience. Left a boy, came back a man, more or less.
How did you get into university and what job did you do overseas ?

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
How did you get into university and what job did you do overseas ?
Not sure how it works where you are, etc, but I'm in Australia. I applied for Uni straight out of high school (although I was trying to get a job at the same time). Ended up in a primary teaching course eventually, which was a long way from my first choice.
But...graduated with honours, and then took a job in Papua New Guinea, teaching in a very, very remote location at a single teacher school.