• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If you believe in love, you believe in God

dfnj

Because God is love.
So all the atheists who believe in love?

This is a dumb trolling argument. Gee, atheists love therefore atheist believe in God. It's just a stupid argument. Atheism is one thing a lack of belief in Gods. It's not "antitheism" it's "atheism".

The Bible's God is NOT a God of love. The Bible's God is a God of obedience to authority more than a God of love. The God in the Bible is a God of judgement more than a God of love.

A true God of unconditional love would allow everyone to enter the gates of Heaven regardless of our Earthly sins or how we practiced or not practiced our religion. Love means accepting someone as being sacred and worthy of being saved regardless of a person's imperfections or bad choices or bad behaviors. Judging people and casting them out of Heaven into Hell is not love. People behave badly but people are still worth more than their behavior. Before you judge someone you have to walk in their shoes. My choices would be whole lot more ethical if I had omnipotent powers. Then I could choose my choices instead picking the lesser of two evils all the time.

sciatica

Notable Member
This is a dumb trolling argument. Gee, atheists love therefore atheist believe in God. It's just a stupid argument. Atheism is one thing a lack of belief in Gods. It's not "antitheism" it's "atheism".

The Bible's God is NOT a God of love. The Bible's God is a God of obedience to authority more than a God of love. The God in the Bible is a God of judgement more than a God of love.

A true God of unconditional love would allow everyone to enter the gates of Heaven regardless of our Earthly sins or how we practiced or not practiced our religion. Love means accepting someone as being sacred and worthy of being saved regardless of a person's imperfections or bad choices or bad behaviors. Judging people and casting them out of Heaven into Hell is not love. People behave badly but people are still worth more than their behavior. Before you judge someone you have to walk in their shoes. My choices would be whole lot more ethical if I had omnipotent powers. Then I could choose my choices instead picking the lesser of two evils all the time.
i didnt get past "stupid" or "dumb". but thanks for responding

Jim

Nets of Wonder
Because God is love.
I might not be what anyone would call an atheist, but I don’t have any belief in the reality or existence of any imaginable creator God.

I’m thinking that maybe you’re thinking of people who continually denounce and ridicule belief in a supreme creator God? Many atheists do not do that, and many people who do that are not atheists. I might not be what anyone would call an atheist, but I denounce all beliefs including God beliefs.

I’m not sure what you could be thinking when you say “God is love,” “believe in God,” and “believe in love.” You might be saying “God is love” just because the Bible says that, possibly without that having any meaning to you at all. You might just be treating words like variables in algebra, without thinking about any meanings behind the words, which is what it looks like to me. You might be thinking that some people who are continually denouncing and ridiculing God beliefs might realize that they actually believe in God, themselves, and stop doing that.

I think that sometimes people’s love for nature or for all people might be love for my God, even if there they have no God belief, or even if they denounce and ridicule God beliefs, but if so, I don’t think that’s the only God belief that they’ve denouncing, or that I think deserves to be denounced. The God beliefs and other beliefs that I denounce are the ones that people use to validate their prejudices and delusions, and excuse and camouflage their unkindness and unfairness to some people.

sciatica

Notable Member
I might not be what anyone would call an atheist, but I don’t have any belief in the reality or existence of any imaginable creator God.

I’m thinking that maybe you’re thinking of people who continually denounce and ridicule belief in a supreme creator God? Many atheists do not do that, and many people who do that are not atheists. I might not be what anyone would call an atheist, but I denounce all beliefs including God beliefs.

I’m not sure what you could be thinking when you say “God is love,” “believe in God,” and “believe in love.” You might be saying “God is love” just because the Bible says that, possibly without that having any meaning to you at all. You might just be treating words like variables in algebra, without thinking about any meanings behind the words, which is what it looks like to me. You might be thinking that some people who are continually denouncing and ridiculing God beliefs might realize that they actually believe in God, themselves, and stop doing that.

I think that sometimes people’s love for nature or for all people might be love for my God, even if there they have no God belief, or even if they denounce and ridicule God beliefs, but if so, I don’t think that’s the only God belief that they’ve denouncing, or that I think deserves to be denounced. The God beliefs and other beliefs that I denounce are the ones that people use to validate their prejudices and delusions, and excuse and camouflage their unkindness and unfairness to some people.
you make some interesting points. im just here to communicate with nice people like yourself

Jim

Nets of Wonder
you make some interesting points. im just here to communicate with nice people like yourself
Thanks. I feel a responsibility here to say that I don’t draw lines between people, thinking of some people as being nice people and others not. We’re all nice to some people sometimes, and unkind and unfair to some people sometimes, Some might be nicer to more people more of the time, but I don’t agree with drawing lines between people that way any more than any other way. In fact that actually looks to me like a stab against some other people. Not that you consciously intended it that way.

Samantha Rinne

Resident Genderfluid Writer/Artist
Because God is love.

As far as I'm concerned, the "love" that progressives and atheists believe in is an extension of social justice and activism.

It's easy to talk about rights for minorities. It's less easy to talk about the people who didn't want to be involved in your campaign (not even hostile, just trying to live their lives, much like farmers while the Nazis were taking over), that basically get beat up for having a different mindset.

When you don't understand the difference between love and hate, there is a distinct problem.

10 Concepts Liberals Talk About Incessantly But Don't Understand

sciatica

Notable Member
Thanks. I feel a responsibility here to say that I don’t draw lines between people, thinking of some people as being nice people and others not. We’re all nice to some people sometimes, and unkind and unfair to some people sometimes, Some might be nicer to more people more of the time, but I don’t agree with drawing lines between people that way any more than any other way. In fact that actually looks to me like a stab against some other people. Not that you consciously intended it that way.
im actually one of the nicest people you could meet.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
Because God is love.

Rubbish.
Many kinds of Christian World would be terrifyingly oppressive with floggings and death penalties for folks who just make simple human choices.

Some Christianity has caused so much hatred, bigotry and oppression...... really.

EDIT: Unfortunately much of Islam, Bahai and other religions can wear that hat as well. :(

Last edited:

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
praying for you
I picked up on this as I scrolled through the posts.

Questions:
Do you support everybody's right to individual sexuality, expression and choice?
Do you support the taxation of rich to give subsistence, education and health to the poor?
Do you support secular Democracy?

The big Question: What would it be like for non-Christians if you ruled the World absolutely?

MonkeyFire

Al the atheists who believe in love believe in love, not in a bronze age myth but love for their partner, their child, their family, their friends, and the world around them.

Don't you just love these people who know nothing of atheism who dictate what an atheist is?

Dont you love those people who know nothing of faith telling us were wrong?

SigurdReginson

Grēne Mann
Premium Member
Atheist do the same thing.

Very true. It's ugly behavior no matter who does it. I think the difference, though, is that there are disproportinately more Christians doing this in the USA than atheists. How many times have you been stopped in the streets by atheists trying to proselytize you, or had them knocking on your door? Happens to me all the time. My co-workers try converting me on the regular as well. It's maddening at times.

MonkeyFire

Very true. It's ugly behavior no matter who does it. I think the difference, though, is that there are disproportinately more Christians doing this in the USA than atheists. How many times have you been stopped in the streets by atheists trying to proselytize you, or had them knocking on your door? Happens to me all the time. My co-workers try converting me on the regular as well. It's maddening at times.

The scientific method should require us to be passive before we are to belief or skepticism. Faith would be closer to skepticism than science, the same as love and hate imo.

Jim

Nets of Wonder
I’m glad that some of my points were interesting to you. Thanks for telling me.

I’m denouncing cruelty and personal attacks on all sides, and I want learn to always post with genuinely friendly feelings, but for me it is not about being nice. Cruelty, contempt and personal attacks wrapped with ribbons and bows of politeness, tactfulness and kind words make me feel sick. Sometimes I’ve felt love and respect in posts from people who were angrily denouncing what I was saying, with stinging and jarring words. What matters to me in people’s posts to me is not how nice they are, but to see them trying to actually communicate with me.

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
Because God is love.

"if you believe in pencils, then you believe in god, because god is a pencil"
So all those heretics who don't believe in pencils?

You can pretend all day long that "love" is synonymous with "god", but you're just making stuff up.