• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"If there is a hell, there can be no heaven"

lew0049

CWebb
Letting people in heaven b/c of doing good "deeds" is irrelevant... to say that one can do enough "good" things to get close to God's perfect holiness and justice is admiting essential saying that you don't need God and you can accomplish things on your own merit.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
It's what the Bible says. Eternal life is not something we recieve after this one.

These things have I written unto you that believe on the name of the Son of God; that ye may know that ye have eternal life, and that ye may believe on the name of the Son of God.

have, not will have

exete- present active indicative, 2nd person plural from: exo- ye are having (I'm learning Greek)
(also keep in mind that if it is eternal and someone loses it then it never really was eternal because it had an end.)
It sounds like you've got your bases covered, Sonic. :D

The Bible also says, "He that endureth to the end shall be saved."

"Shall be," not "is."

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Letting people in heaven b/c of doing good "deeds" is irrelevant... to say that one can do enough "good" things to get close to God's perfect holiness and justice is admiting essential saying that you don't need God and you can accomplish things on your own merit.
I think we can all pretty much go along with that. :)

Sonic247

It sounds like you've got your bases covered, Sonic. :D

The Bible also says, "He that endureth to the end shall be saved."

"Shall be," not "is."

That's during the tribulation, I still can't override the other verse, it's all about faith though, they will believe in Jesus and die because of it. Kind of like how Abraham showed his faith by his actions, but the Church will already be raptured.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
That's during the tribulation, I still can't override the other verse, it's all about faith though, they will believe in Jesus and die because of it. Kind of like how Abraham showed his faith by his actions, but the Church will already be raptured.
Sorry, you lost me, but I have a hunch we're going to disagree on this, since I don't believe in the rapture.

lew0049

CWebb
Interesting book I read on hell was "23 minutes in Hell" I believe, and "90 minutes in Heaven" is probably one of the best books I have ever read regarding faith or religion.

Ðanisty

you honestly lumped lawyers in with satan and rapists??? :cover:

All lawyers cannot be bad can they?

BTW - Mormons believe that nearly everyone makes it to heaven so your problem wouldn't apply.
Lol...I was just a tad upset that Satan was lumped in with lawyers and rapists.

In your view, does "omnibenevolence" mean forcing people to go to Heaven who don't want to be there?
Interesting. I'd like to hear people's opinions on this. I think I'm gonna start a thread.

Isn't it possible though that somebody could be close to God without realizing it?

Sonic247

Sorry, you lost me, but I have a hunch we're going to disagree on this, since I don't believe in the rapture.
Well I do believe in the rapture but it's not worth arguing about, I was just wanted to point out that justification has already taken place. (Not because of our righteous lives but because of the blood of Jesus.)

JayHawes

Many people just cannot wrap their mind around the concept that good words do not get you to heaven. It shocks people becuase most think that they are good people. And therefore if they live a good life can enter heaven.

But what they dont understand is that if they have ever cursed once, or stolen, or lied or done anything wrong, which we all do, we are not fit for heaven because we are sinners. If we accept Jesus into our lives and beleive that he is the son of God and that he died and rose from the grave, God will forgive us of all sins. If you are to omit Jesus, you will be left a sinner.

Ga 5:19Now the works of the flesh are evident, which are: adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lewdness,
Ga 5:20idolatry, sorcery, hatred, contentions, jealousies, outbursts of wrath, selfish ambitions, dissensions, heresies,
Ga 5:21envy, murders, drunkenness, revelries, and the like; of which I tell you beforehand, just as I also told you in time past, that those who practice such things will not inherit the kingdom of God.

Re 21:8But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death.
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
1jo 1:5This is the message which we have heard from Him and declare to you, that God is light and in Him is no darkness at all.

1jo 1:6If we say that we have fellowship with Him, and walk in darkness, we lie and do not practice the truth.

1jo 1:7But if we walk in the light as He is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus Christ His Son cleanses us from all sin.

1jo 1:8If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us.

1jo 1:9If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

1jo 1:10If we say that we have not sinned, we make Him a liar, and His word is not in us.

Ðanisty

JayHawes, I take it you believe that those who were never exposed to Christianity can not go to heaven? If they never knew of Jesus Christ, they can't exactly believe in him.

JayHawes

No, Jesus will not condemn you to hell for not having heard the Gospel of Christ. Everyone will have their chance, just as when Jesus died. He went to hell and preached to those who never got a chance, and some were saved, even so again, those who never heard about Jesus on earth will get a chance. (Ephesians 4:8-10,1 Peter 3:19).

JayHawes

Any religion that claims to be the one true way, isn't.

Christianity having 2 billion adherents ... claims to be the one true way
Islam claiming to be the one true way, has 1 billion adherents
........There are more than 3 billion left claiming another way......somewhere somebody is lying, and they are good at it....(its probably Satan - John 8:44)

Mt 24:5For many shall come in my name, saying, I am Christ; and shall deceive many.

Christ means Messiah, or the one who will save mankind. They shall come decieveing saying they are the way to God---1pe 5:8 "... your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour"

Aasimar

Atheist
Christianity having 2 billion adherents ... claims to be the one true way

And let's put them all in a room and make them right down the one true way. Wonder if they'll be able to, they can't even agree with themselves. Something about Christ will be involved I'm sure, but that's about the only thing they would agree on I'm fairly certain.

Sonic247

No every Christian will write the same thing, there is in this world what are refered to in the Bible as "wolves in sheeps clothing"

JayHawes

And let's put them all in a room and make them right down the one true way. Wonder if they'll be able to, they can't even agree with themselves. Something about Christ will be involved I'm sure, but that's about the only thing they would agree on I'm fairly certain.

Those who dont beleive in God dont even even agree. Some people are Agnostic, some claim to be atheist, but yet whorip material things. Others really dont know they're just mad at God so they become atheist ( which is backwards, being mad at God doesn't mean he doesn't exist). Whatever the motive...the overall picture is probably the same. For Atheist/ Agnostics- God seems to be far away/ non-existant. For Christians- God is in us, and Jesus is our Lord and Savior. For Muslims- Muhamad is God's Prophet, live to please Allah. For Jews- God's Chosen people, please God by keeping the MOsaic law. And so on. Although we all disagree, most of us all agree on the overall picture. For me I hope God blesses everybody, even if they hate his guts.

joeboonda

SO, i have to conclude that either god is not benevolent/merciful; or heaven does not exist because of the existance of hell....

God is indeed benevolent and merciful, but He is also Holy. It is a Spiritual Law that the penalty/wages/results of sin is death. The day Adam sinned he died spiritually toward God and began to die physicaly. Adam passed his sin-nature and spiritual deadness toward God to all mankind. We have all sinned and fall short of the glory of God who is perfectly holy and is a consuming fire, noone sinful is able to live in Heaven, they would be consumed. We are all in the same boat, we all have sinned and the wages of sin is death. But God in His great love for us paid the wages of sin for us so we don't have to, He died for us. If we trust Him He grants us the free gift of eternal life, all our sins are paid for, and He gives us His righteousness in place of our own which is as filthy rags to a Holy God. He did everything He could to keep us from Hell, He is not wiilling that any should perish but that all would come to repentance. Repentance is changing one's mind about things, realizing there is a God, they are a sinner bound for Hell in need of a Saviour. By turning from our ways and accepting God's free gift of salvation by believing, trusting, in Him and His completed work on the cross for us, one is saved. God has done all He can do to keep us from Hell, if we do not accept His provision, we send ourselves to Hell. The hour is late, death comes suddenly to all men, now is the day of salvation, to delay is utmost foolishness and needless danger.