• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If there are intelligent aliens...

Bob Dixon

>implying
My religion isn't suitable for many humans, nevermind extraterrestrials!
Besides, I think God would be smart enough to have sent prophets to them, too.

In the Qur'an, this is found:
"And for every nation there is a messenger." (10:47)
"And there is not a people but a warner has gone among them." (35:24)

As a Christian, I agree and I also think that it applies to the whole Universe.
Let them have their own religion. Maybe it's even better than ours.

Draka

Wonder Woman
I'd be more interested in learning any of their philosophies and if they have any spiritual beliefs and practices. Would be neat to see if there are any similarities.

A

angellous_evangellous

No. Christianity is a human centered religion.

fenrisx

My religion isn't suitable for many humans, nevermind extraterrestrials!
Besides, I think God would be smart enough to have sent prophets to them, too.

In the Qur'an, this is found:
"And for every nation there is a messenger." (10:47)
"And there is not a people but a warner has gone among them." (35:24)

As a Christian, I agree and I also think that it applies to the whole Universe.
Let them have their own religion. Maybe it's even better than ours.

If they are anything like Jar Jar Bings, we cancel the space program and declare earth off limits.

Fester

...and if we came in contact with them & and were able to communicate:
Should they convert to your religion?
Why (not)?
I would want them to convert to my religion, and then I would want them to be ushers at my church. It's hard to be stingy when an alien is holding the collection plate.

:run:

Last edited:

Levite

Higher and Higher
Why wouldn't they have their own religion? If human beings can have various distinct ways of relating to God, it seems awfully presumptuous to suppose that beings from other planets can't do the same.

In any case, Judaism doesn't proselytize, either among human beings, or among extraterrestrials.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
...and if we came in contact with them & and were able to communicate:
Should they convert to your religion?
Why (not)?

Definitely not.

My religion is nature-centered and based on the land where I live. The vast majority of my practices would make any sense if they were removed from their earth-based context, nor would they hold any meaning for them. Hah! I would say this is true for many humans living on this planet as well! If I relocate to a place where the Land Spirits are very different than they are in my homeland, my religious practices will change significantly. It doesn't make much sense to honor the seasonal cycle in Spring-Summer-Autumn-Winter if you live somewhere with only two seasons: Wet-Dry.

There are certain core concepts that could possibly transfer, but most the specifics would be different. And I suppose I think those foundational lessons are good for just about anyone to acknowledge, but I don't know if I'd call it full out conversion. Things like honoring your ancestors, your homeland, and the environment you live in can transcend religious boundaries after all.