• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If science was a religion

Segev Moran

Many time people blame me for following the religion of science instead of other religions.
Once they understand i am an atheist, they look for reason (that it seems they can't really understand) why i don\'t believe there is a god.
For some reason, it seems they think science really is a sort of religion.

Well.. it is not. Science is a tool. It is a tool that we use to learn about our reality.

But in case you are one of those who thinks science is just another religion, please read further.

Why science cannot be a religion:

Science have no scriptures:

There are books and theories and articles and such. but there is no scripture!
No matter how well formed, well written or whatever a scientific book is, if it fails to provide explanations that describe our universe (as we know it), it is not going to be accepted.

Even if it does provide explanations, it must provide the way to demonstrate such explanations. You cannot simply accept an idea without backing it up with demonstrable methods.

Everyone is born a scientist! you don't need to read any scientific book in order to become a scientist! it is enough that you experiment with home made things and you can create great scientific discoveries.

When a scientific theory is falsified, it is a good sign. it is a sign that we learned about the universe a bit more.

You cannot provide a scientific idea without presenting the way it can be falsified.

There is no scientific authority that is can reject a valid tested and proven theory.

These is no theory that contradict the way our universe work and be accepted as a valid theory.

Anything can be changed, nothing is "untouchable" in science.
No matter how good your theory is, if you are presented with evidence that contradicts it, it will probably be modified or dismissed.

There are no "holy" places, actions, methods, ideas or whatever in science. every theory have the same weight as any other. it is only when one becomes more and more validated, it is considered a more probable theory, yet any time it can be falsified and "thrown" to the "recycle bin"

You shouldn't accept scientific facts just because you heard them from someone. Science's core concept is to question everything and try and disprove it.

Scientific theory must be well defined regarding each of its subjects. So if you present a term that have several meanings, you must provide the meaning it has when relevant to that specific theory.
A term that has no defined meaning, cannot be a part of scientific theory.

Science might provides answers to specific questions, yet it(science) is not an answer to those question on its own.

Science has no human traits. it is only a way to describe how we measure and study our universe.

Science is not an entity! it has no powers, no abilities, no desires. it is nothing more that a way of learning.

Science is not promoting and specific POV. it simply provides facts and predictions about a subject.

You can be skeptic and scientist. You can be religious and scientist and you can be a polytheist scientist.

The list of course continues on and on, but i guess that is enough for now :)

cheers and happy "sciensing".

ImmortalFlame

Woke gremlin
One of my favourite bits of writing on the subject of whether or not science is a religion is this insight from artifical intelligence theorist and founder of lesswrong.com, Eliezer Yudkowsky:

It's a most peculiar psychology—this business of "Science is based on faith too, so there!" Typically this is said by people who claim that faith is a good thing. Then why do they say "Science is based on faith too!" in that angry-triumphal tone, rather than as a compliment? And a rather dangerous compliment to give, one would think, from their perspective. If science is based on 'faith', then science is of the same kind as religion—directly comparable. If science is a religion, it is the religion that heals the sick and reveals the secrets of the stars. It would make sense to say, "The priests of science can blatantly, publicly, verifiably walk on the Moon as a faith-based miracle, and your priests' faith can't do the same." Are you sure you wish to go there, oh faithist? Perhaps, on further reflection, you would prefer to retract this whole business of "Science is a religion too!"
SOURCE: The Fallacy of Gray - Less Wrong

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
Many time people blame me for following the religion of science instead of other religions.
Once they understand i am an atheist, they look for reason (that it seems they can't really understand) why i don\'t believe there is a god.
For some reason, it seems they think science really is a sort of religion.

Well.. it is not. Science is a tool. It is a tool that we use to learn about our reality.

But in case you are one of those who thinks science is just another religion, please read further.

Why science cannot be a religion:

Science have no scriptures:

There are books and theories and articles and such. but there is no scripture!
No matter how well formed, well written or whatever a scientific book is, if it fails to provide explanations that describe our universe (as we know it), it is not going to be accepted.

Even if it does provide explanations, it must provide the way to demonstrate such explanations. You cannot simply accept an idea without backing it up with demonstrable methods.

Everyone is born a scientist! you don't need to read any scientific book in order to become a scientist! it is enough that you experiment with home made things and you can create great scientific discoveries.

When a scientific theory is falsified, it is a good sign. it is a sign that we learned about the universe a bit more.

You cannot provide a scientific idea without presenting the way it can be falsified.

There is no scientific authority that is can reject a valid tested and proven theory.

These is no theory that contradict the way our universe work and be accepted as a valid theory.

Anything can be changed, nothing is "untouchable" in science.
No matter how good your theory is, if you are presented with evidence that contradicts it, it will probably be modified or dismissed.

There are no "holy" places, actions, methods, ideas or whatever in science. every theory have the same weight as any other. it is only when one becomes more and more validated, it is considered a more probable theory, yet any time it can be falsified and "thrown" to the "recycle bin"

You shouldn't accept scientific facts just because you heard them from someone. Science's core concept is to question everything and try and disprove it.

Scientific theory must be well defined regarding each of its subjects. So if you present a term that have several meanings, you must provide the meaning it has when relevant to that specific theory.
A term that has no defined meaning, cannot be a part of scientific theory.

Science might provides answers to specific questions, yet it(science) is not an answer to those question on its own.

Science has no human traits. it is only a way to describe how we measure and study our universe.

Science is not an entity! it has no powers, no abilities, no desires. it is nothing more that a way of learning.

Science is not promoting and specific POV. it simply provides facts and predictions about a subject.

You can be skeptic and scientist. You can be religious and scientist and you can be a polytheist scientist.

The list of course continues on and on, but i guess that is enough for now :)

cheers and happy "sciensing".

Remember, when a theist says "science is a religion" or "atheism is a faith", what they actually mean is: "I know to believe in weird stuff, but you are not better than me".

It is, de-facto, the self defeating and pathetic attempt to justify their weakness by claiming that everyone else is weak.

Ciao

- viole

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
Science is a religion to those that don't practice it. If all you do is read what others said they did, then you might as well be reading scripture. If all you do is look up scientific fact without verifying it you are practicing faith. If all you do is quote other scientists without their knowledge you are proselytizing. For a vast majority Science is a religion.

Segev Moran

Remember, when a theist says "science is a religion" or "atheism is a faith", what they actually mean is: "I know to believe in weird stuff, but you are not better than me".

It is, de-facto, the self defeating and pathetic attempt to justify their weakness by claiming that everyone else is weak.

Ciao

- viole
Why would you say weak?

Segev Moran

Science is a religion to those that don't practice it. If all you do is read what others said they did, then you might as well be reading scripture. If all you do is look up scientific fact without verifying it you are practicing faith. If all you do is quote other scientists without their knowledge you are proselytizing. For a vast majority Science is a religion.
I Agree...
Thank god (;)) we can actually see the evidence.
Unlike religion, that hides its most "powerful evidence" like a whatever relic that can cure the dead or something :):):)

Segev Moran

Sounds like you say religion is only for uneducated people ??

Guy Threepwood

Mighty Pirate

comparing science to a religion is a little unfair to religion

Science would need to acknowledge it's own faith to rise to that distinction, as is it's more of a set of superstitions, blind faith

Sapiens

Polymathematician
If science, which demands evidence, is, "a set of superstitions, blind faith," what does that make religion, with no evidence what-so-ever, a blatant lie?

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member

Science would need to acknowledge it's own faith to rise to that distinction, as is it's more of a set of superstitions, blind faith

I am not comparing science to Religion but how some people use science. People make things a Religion and not understanding or using science right makes it a religion for some people. In my opinion a lot of people.

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
Sounds like you say religion is only for uneducated people ??

Religion has nothing to do with education it has to do with faith. We have emotions and logic and we can't get rid of either both are there to protect us from harm. Religious people put a greater emphasis on faith where as scientists put a greater emphasis on logic. Without both faith and logic the human race could not survive.

Guy Threepwood

Mighty Pirate
I am not comparing science to Religion but how some people use science. People make things a Religion and not understanding or using science right makes it a religion for some people. In my opinion a lot of people.

I take your point, it comes down to definitions, semantics. Most of us know and love the science the method.. but most references of the word apply to anything but

Angry people out marching in the street to give political support for a particular set of conclusions, ... can it possibly get any further from the method?!

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member

That "blind faith" is responsible for the computer or device you used to post your nonsense.

Segev Moran

Religion has nothing to do with education it has to do with faith. We have emotions and logic and we can't get rid of either both are there to protect us from harm. Religious people put a greater emphasis on faith where as scientists put a greater emphasis on logic. Without both faith and logic the human race could not survive.
Faith as a concept, of course.. is very important.
But there is a difference between having faith and acting as if your faith is reality.
I think the majority of religious people belong to the first.

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
Faith as a concept, of course.. is very important.
But there is a difference between having faith and acting as if your faith is reality.
I think the majority of religious people belong to the first.

There is nothing wrong with faith being your reality the problem comes in forcing others to live your reality.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
Unfortunately, that vast majority of people will not study science in any depth. They will get their science information from popular websites (at best). And we all know such websites tend to get the particulars wrong.

This means the vast majority of people are going to be ill-informed scientifically. They will not be able to judge who is and who is not an expert very well and they will tend to adopt the views that are most in line with their own prejudices.

Because they will not or cannot learn the details, because they cannot or will not test the ideas for themselves, they *have* to take the word of scientists on faith. So, unfortunately, for the vast majority of people, science has all the characteristics of religious faith. But science does not give them rules to live by and hence suffers in comparison to actual religions.

And, of course, we see this in these very forums all the time. People who are ignorant of science and do not want to become informed none the less still decide what they believe about science based on thier religious beliefs while claiming that science is faith based also. They don't want to, or can't, read the actual scientific literature, and see the way scientist speak (in tentative ways) as decreasing their authority. SO they prefer the simple 'answers' of their religious faith.

Such is the state of our society.

Skwim

Veteran Member

What comes to mind when I read statements like "science is a religion" or "atheism is a faith" is an admission that the person needs the comfort and psychological support of their religion to get through life, and that it galls them that others don't require such propping up, and can get on with life without the aid of religion. Kind of a, "If I'm so 'weak' as to need religion so too must everyone else. Therefore, it's really no weakness at all. :) "